• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

International Brexit Discussion v9: The Last Extension

Parliamentary supremacy is an established principle here , you can't just side step it because you fear it won't give you the answer you want .

Side step it? Labour and Conservative Party ran on a pro-Brexit manifesto. Parliament can't just ignore the public because their own financial concerns are at stake.

DypvPfTWoAA_N5S.jpg

Fast forward two years and with the deadline approaching, he requests parliament be suspended. Still doesn't have a deal. He just hopes people will believe that the unplanned for "no deal" is actually better than the "great deal" he claimed was a sure thing.

The next UK general election will be hilarious.

How about posting some pre-referendum and pre-election comments from Corbyn?

DypvPfTWoAA_N5S.jpg

Fast forward two years and with the deadline approaching, he requests parliament be suspended. Still doesn't have a deal. He just hopes people will believe that the unplanned for "no deal" is actually better than the "great deal" he claimed was a sure thing.

That sounds oddly like someone in Washington I really cannot put a finger on.

Nice photo of the President with mini-me
_107993330_boris_trump.jpg

DypvPfTWoAA_N5S.jpg

That sounds oddly like someone in Washington I really cannot put a finger on.

Nice photo of the President with mini-me
trump-bojo-734.jpg

If your definition of hard brexit is no deal then it doesn't correspond to the way that term has been used in recent years.

Hard Brexit = Leaving the single market and customs union entirely

Soft Brexit = Leaving the EU but remaining in one or both of these to some degree.

Don’t engage the retard. He doesn’t even understand the Irish border situation.

And that's entirely on the EU. They refused to compromise from day one in large part due to May's incompetence and sabotage with her EU stooges negotiating "on behalf of the UK". It's not on Boris Johnson that the EU refused to be reasonable, no one in the UK should have any doubts about leaving by now.
<TrumpWrong1>

How about posting some pre-referendum and pre-election comments from Corbyn?
You can do that if you want to. But personally I don't see the relevance.

I also can't think of a single quotable thing Corbyn has said. I'd need to Google him. The man is a bore.

And the Queen agreed

The Queen has zero political power and is merely a symbol of English Tradition at this point.

While she could technically oppose government's wishes, it wouldn't take long before the subsequent outrage transforms itself into overthrowing the monarchy

Not sure why those against it, keep trying to stop the inevitable.

hiya VivaRevolution,

it may have something to do with feeling a little bitter over promises made by the pro-Brexit camp, Viva...promises that seem - in the here and now - a bit fantastical.

1) Britain will emerge economically unscathed after leaving the common market

2) the healthcare system would recoup millions of dollars per week to spend on the English citizenry

3) leaving the EU would be both fast...and a piece of cake

i could go on, but you get the picture.

there was alot of "we can have our cake and eat it too" salesmanship going on.

and now what you're seeing is a great deal of buyer's remorse. seems kinda obvious to me, my friend.

- IGIT

Last edited:
Honestly though this isn't really about Brexit its about Johnson acting in a dangerously undemocratic fashion.

If he say held an election with no deal on his manifesto and won then fair enough, I think it would have a negative effect for the UK but he'd have a mandate for it.

Without a constitution in the UK established standards of how the country is run are vitally important even if they might not be legally binding.

At some point the right wing temper tantrum in Britain will end.

You guys have been saying that for about 10 years now. Pretty sure it's no tantrum.

The real tantrums are on the left. Getting outraged because we dont want to mass immigrate the third world into the western world, now that's a tantrum.

Man, this maneuver to "take back control" by suspending parliament is some undemocratic shit.

But there goes the E.U's plan to wait out for the British Parliament to stop No Deal (as the MPs had previously proven that they would vote No on anything and everything put on front of them on this subject matter).

Queen Elizabeth II approves Boris Johnson’s request to suspend Parliament ahead of Brexit deadline

LONDON — Queen Elizabeth II approved a request by Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday to shut down Parliament for several weeks ahead of Britain’s upcoming departure from the European Union, a startling maneuver that will rob his opponents of time to thwart a no-deal Brexit.

The announcement of Johnson’s plan prompted expressions of outrage from many lawmakers, who said they are being deprived of their democratic voice on Britain’s most momentous decision in generations. It increased the chances that the country will sail out of the European Union at the end of October with no transition deal to buffer its passage, a move analysts say could cause major economic turmoil, including food and fuel shortages.

Johnson told reporters he had asked the queen, who is on holiday at her Scottish estate of Balmoral, to give her usual annual speech outlining the country’s legislative agenda in mid-October, effectively suspending Parliament between Sept. 11 and Oct. 14.

The queen acceded to the prime minister’s request, as is customary.

In an official statement, the Privy Council confirmed that the queen had agreed to prorogue — or suspend — Parliament no sooner than Sept. 9 and no later than Sept. 12. Jacob Rees-Mogg, the leader of the House of Commons, Natalie Evans, the leader of the House of Lords, and Mark Spencer, the chief whip, were at Balmoral to deliver the request.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ca5988-c96f-11e9-a1fe-ca46e8d573c0_story.html

Last edited:
Back