International Brexit Discussion v9: The Last Extension

I’m cautiously optimistic. In spite of his hair, Boris Johnson is not Donald Trump, and he’s not Winston Churchill. But is he good enough to deliver Brexit? Maybe. At least we know he believes it’s the right thing to do.
Seriously?

OK then. Fine.

And Ireland? Just deploy the problem to the EU?

Good to see it's finally going to happen or so they say.

Meanwhile in Northern Ireland.

A senior police chief has appealed for political progress in Northern Ireland after bombers tried to lure his officers to their deaths.

Police said dissident republicans were behind the explosion near Wattlebridge, close to the Irish border, on Monday.

PSNI Deputy Chief Constable Stephen Martin called the Fermanagh attack a "reckless and indiscriminate" attempt to kill police officers.

Northern Ireland has been without a devolved government since January 2017.

Power sharing collapsed in a row between Sinn Féin and the DUP over a flawed green-energy scheme. Attempts to restore it have so far failed.

DCC Martin said the bomb attack may have been carried out by either the Continuity IRA or the New IRA.

There have been five attempts to murder police officers so far this year, he said, adding that there was a sense that the situation in Northern Ireland is becoming "more entrenched".

Which part of my post did you disagree with?

He's not capable of delivering Brexit, and he doesn't give a shit about Britain. He pushed for Brexit for years without knowing it's effects, then bailed when the going got tough. Now he swoops in like some rescuer, absent a plan again, save his usual bullshit bluster. This guy is a classic tails wearing asshole Tory, don't forget that shit. He'll fuck the UK in much the same way Trump has, bluster with no plan.........

Idiot doesn't even grasp the profundities of the Irish border issue for christ sake.

Boris Johnson led the Brexit side to victory with the promise that it would be so simple to force EU into the deal that the UK wants. I wonder why he hasn't taken advantage of that easily exploitable situation and instead left the UK in a very difficult position that the voters didn't expect? Probably the 4D chess WR people talk about.

He's not capable of delivering Brexit, and he doesn't give a shit about Britain. He pushed for Brexit for years without knowing it's effects, then bailed when the going got tough. Now he swoops in like some rescuer, absent a plan again, save his usual bullshit bluster. This guy is a classic tails wearing asshole Tory, don't forget that shit. He'll fuck the UK in much the same way Trump has, bluster with no plan.........

Idiot doesn't even grasp the profundities of the Irish border issue for christ sake.

None of that is inconsistent with what I wrote. You've mistaken me for a Boris Johnson fanboy.

None of that is inconsistent with what I wrote. You've mistaken me for a Boris Johnson fanboy.

You seem to think he cares about Britain, and will be able to do anything but oversee a mess of his making..............

Evidently it hasnt been peaceful so disreagard my previous post.
But even if it hadn't, by changing one of the main reasons for the peace (no border controls between Nth & Republic), the troubles returning in some form is almost inevitable.

You seem to think he cares about Britain, and will be able to do anything but oversee a mess of his making..............

The basic engine behind the UK economy has been as a large market entry point to the EU providing predominantly services in a low regulation environment, setup by Thatcher back in the 80s building up ever since.

BoJo is going smash that while simultaneously narking off our biggest market in the EU and ally in the US by breaking the GFA.

And he's going to fix it all by October.

...... Got some magic beans, the price is crazy but in this market theres going to be a buyer.

Boris Johnson led the Brexit side to victory with the promise that it would be so simple to force EU into the deal that the UK wants. I wonder why he hasn't taken advantage of that easily exploitable situation and instead left the UK in a very difficult position that the voters didn't expect? Probably the 4D chess WR people talk about.
Yea I’m sure he doesn’t want to do a deal , makes sense

I'm not Irish, but if I was, I would feel insulted by all these thinly-veiled insenuation being thrown around that the Irish people would somehow devolve into a horde of savage terrorrists if the hard border issue doesn't work out.

If Troubles 2.0 is truly what the people in Ireland believes to be inevitable, then they as a society have far worse things to worry about than cross-border trades.

Last edited:

Just LOL. He's not even trying to make sense. This is only a way to say 'See?! I tried to negotiate, the evil EU is at fault!!1!'

I'm not Irish, but if I was, I would feel insulted by all these thinly-veiled insenuation being thrown around that the Irish people would somehow devolve into a horde of savage terrorrists if the hard border issue doesn't work out.

If Troubles 2.0 is truly what the people in Ireland believes to be inevitable, then they as a society have far worse things to worry about than cross-border trades.
It's not "Irish People becoming savages". Even saying something like that just shows you don't get it.

Edit: I don't really get it either, i'm not there. But what I know is that describing Irish Nationalists refusal to abide border posts to the point of attacking/tearing them down does not make them 'savages'. When the Govt moves to protect those posts, and it escalates from there, is not the result of people becoming savages. It will be the result of a carefully negotiated treaty bringing about two decades of peace after decades of simmering war being callously written off against the will of the Northern Irish who voted to remain, and the Irish Republic, who had no say.

Last edited:

Northern Ireland: Blast targets police near border
4 hours ago
41660434_101.jpg

Traffic crossing the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland in the village of Bridgend, Co Donegal.
Police say it is the sixth blast targeting officers this year. A police chief warns that deadlock over Brexit is abetting such attacks.

A device exploded in Northern Ireland near the border with Ireland early on Monday, in what police say was the sixth attempt to kill officers this year. There were no injuries reported.

No group has yet claimed responsibility for the blast, which hit near a busy road in County Fermanagh, close to the location where officers were investigating a suspicious device discovered on Saturday.

Northern Ireland has witnessed a rise in attacks in recent months, claimed by militant groups who oppose British rule and the 1998 peace accord which ended 30 years of sectarian violence in the province.

https://www.dw.com/en/northern-ireland-blast-targets-police-near-border/a-50084802

Back