Boxing: Might as well be worked.

Rusty26

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm pretty dissapointed with boxing. I think it's due to that fact that it works with promoters and not an organisation, like the UFC, PRIDE, EliteXC, etc...

The reasoning is that a boxers career is pretty much over if he doesn't go 10-0 to start his career. So, promoters hand pick opponents for their new "up and coming" fighter. They choose guys that they know are going to lose. Except for some big fights, title fights, the outcome of the fight is pretty much predetermined. Once and a while there'll be a shocking surprise and the guy who was supposed to win will indeed lose, but this is an oddity.

Boxing is too corrupt and I can't even begin to understand the "alphabet soup" organisations. It's a shame because a really good boxing match can change the world. Rember the rumble in the jungle? Of course you do. The images from that fight are historic. Yet, these days, I honestly can't name one of the heavyweight champs. Also, when is the last time we had a unified champ? I haven't the slightest clue.

That's why an organization/league works better. A fighter doesn't have to go 10-0. He just has to show up, work hard and put on a good fight. A promoter isn't riding the tails of a single fighter... so the fans win.

Boxing was great, but it's dead.

If it weren't for gambling... NOBODY would care about boxing.

better put on a flame retardant suit mang.

*lies in wait*

I need to address certain points of your post, so I'll do them one at a time.

"I'm pretty dissapointed with boxing. I think it's due to that fact that it works with promoters and not an organisation, like the UFC, PRIDE, EliteXC, etc..."

What do you think UFC, Pride, etc. are if they're not promoters? The difference is they're the promoters and the organizations as well. There's nobody like Don King to get in the middle of everything.

"The reasoning is that a boxers career is pretty much over if he doesn't go 10-0 to start his career. So, promoters hand pick opponents for their new "up and coming" fighter. They choose guys that they know are going to lose. Except for some big fights, title fights, the outcome of the fight is pretty much predetermined. Once and a while there'll be a shocking surprise and the guy who was supposed to win will indeed lose, but this is an oddity."

There have been plenty of boxers who have gone on to bigger and better things after losing early in their career. Do some fighters get hand-picked opponents to build their records? Sure. But most of the guys who build their record on soft opposition get exposed when they step up in class.

"Boxing is too corrupt and I can't even begin to understand the "alphabet soup" organisations. It's a shame because a really good boxing match can change the world. Rember the rumble in the jungle? Of course you do. The images from that fight are historic. Yet, these days, I honestly can't name one of the heavyweight champs. Also, when is the last time we had a unified champ? I haven't the slightest clue."

I agree there's a lot of bad politics in boxing. However, you ask about when the last time boxing had a unified champion was. The same can be asked and answered about MMA: Almost Never. There's always been other organizations that had champs, so nobody's ever really been undisputed, except for possibly the early UFC days (maybe).

"That's why an organization/league works better. A fighter doesn't have to go 10-0. He just has to show up, work hard and put on a good fight. A promoter isn't riding the tails of a single fighter... so the fans win. Boxing was great, but it's dead. If it weren't for gambling... NOBODY would care about boxing."

If you're saying there's no politics in MMA, then you're crazy. Just look at how certain organizations refuse to work with certain fighters, sponsors, etc. And as for a promoter not riding the coat tails of a single fighter, ask M-1 Global about Fedor and ask Strikeforce how high a profile it would have if it weren't for Cung Le and Frank Shamrock.

I don't normally get this worked up on a topic, but I feel like you're way off base here. I'd like to see what everybody else has to say.

Who else is excited for ironman? Can't go wrong with Downey Jr and Howard in the same movie.

rusty...you might as well have shown up fully clothed in a meat suit.

I need to address certain points of your post, so I'll do them one at a time.

"I'm pretty dissapointed with boxing. I think it's due to that fact that it works with promoters and not an organisation, like the UFC, PRIDE, EliteXC, etc..."

What do you think UFC, Pride, etc. are if they're not promoters? The difference is they're the promoters and the organizations as well. There's nobody like Don King to get in the middle of everything.

"The reasoning is that a boxers career is pretty much over if he doesn't go 10-0 to start his career. So, promoters hand pick opponents for their new "up and coming" fighter. They choose guys that they know are going to lose. Except for some big fights, title fights, the outcome of the fight is pretty much predetermined. Once and a while there'll be a shocking surprise and the guy who was supposed to win will indeed lose, but this is an oddity."

There have been plenty of boxers who have gone on to bigger and better things after losing early in their career. Do some fighters get hand-picked opponents to build their records? Sure. But most of the guys who build their record on soft opposition get exposed when they step up in class.

"Boxing is too corrupt and I can't even begin to understand the "alphabet soup" organisations. It's a shame because a really good boxing match can change the world. Rember the rumble in the jungle? Of course you do. The images from that fight are historic. Yet, these days, I honestly can't name one of the heavyweight champs. Also, when is the last time we had a unified champ? I haven't the slightest clue."

I agree there's a lot of bad politics in boxing. However, you ask about when the last time boxing had a unified champion was. The same can be asked and answered about MMA: Almost Never. There's always been other organizations that had champs, so nobody's ever really been undisputed, except for possibly the early UFC days (maybe).

"That's why an organization/league works better. A fighter doesn't have to go 10-0. He just has to show up, work hard and put on a good fight. A promoter isn't riding the tails of a single fighter... so the fans win. Boxing was great, but it's dead. If it weren't for gambling... NOBODY would care about boxing."

If you're saying there's no politics in MMA, then you're crazy. Just look at how certain organizations refuse to work with certain fighters, sponsors, etc. And as for a promoter not riding the coat tails of a single fighter, ask M-1 Global about Fedor and ask Strikeforce how high a profile it would have if it weren't for Cung Le and Frank Shamrock.

I don't normally get this worked up on a topic, but I feel like you're way off base here. I'd like to see what everybody else has to say.

I liked your responses to my thread. You posted your feelings without blasting mine. You really come off as an educated boxing/mma fan.

As far as a unified Champion in MMA... you're right, there isn't one. But the thing is... I view (for example) GSP and Anderson Silva as the UFC Champions in their respective weight classes. I don't call them the "world champion" whereas boxing has multiple "world champions".

And, yes, the UFC, Pride, EliteXC, IFL, etc... have a lot of politics... but nowhere near what boxing has. Promoters that are not part of the organisation are WAY too corrupt. The Don Kings of the boxing world have poisoned it.

I like boxing, I'm not hating on it, it's just hard to find a good honest fight. The talent level is also shrinking. Too much PPV and too much scandal.

Everyone has the right to their own opinions and beliefs, your reply was appreciated. Thank you.

I liked your responses to my thread. You posted your feelings without blasting mine. You really come off as an educated boxing/mma fan.

As far as a unified Champion in MMA... you're right, there isn't one. But the thing is... I view (for example) GSP and Anderson Silva as the UFC Champions in their respective weight classes. I don't call them the "world champion" whereas boxing has multiple "world champions".

And, yes, the UFC, Pride, EliteXC, IFL, etc... have a lot of politics... but nowhere near what boxing has. Promoters that are not part of the organisation are WAY too corrupt. The Don Kings of the boxing world have poisoned it.

I like boxing, I'm not hating on it, it's just hard to find a good honest fight. The talent level is also shrinking. Too much PPV and too much scandal.

Everyone has the right to their own opinions and beliefs, your reply was appreciated. Thank you.

Well, your post really hit a chord with me, so I felt the need to respond to it. I do have a pretty good education and am a boxing/mma fan, but I probably don't have as much experience/knowledge as some of the guys on here.
I agree that boxing promoters have done a lot of damage to the sport. However, I don't feel like things are as bad as you're making them out to be.

I see your Oh lord and raise to a

picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Well, your post really hit a chord with me, so I felt the need to respond to it. I do have a pretty good education and am a boxing/mma fan, but I probably don't have as much experience/knowledge as some of the guys on here.
I agree that boxing promoters have done a lot of damage to the sport. However, I don't feel like things are as bad as you're making them out to be.

Understood.

Your points are valid. I don't agree with them 100%, but they are valid none the less. I'm really dissapointed with boxing, especially in the past 10 years. The most recent Maywhether/DelLahoya (spelling?) fight was, in my mind, a terrible, terrible, terrible fight. See, I'm not one of those people that want every boxing match to end in a KO. That's not boxing. That's two thugs duking it out. But c'mon... that fight was awful. They danced for 12 rounds. There was no winner in that fight... Maywhether just didn't lose as badly.

I'm pretty dissapointed with boxing. I think it's due to that fact that it works with promoters and not an organisation, like the UFC, PRIDE, EliteXC, etc...

The reasoning is that a boxers career is pretty much over if he doesn't go 10-0 to start his career. So, promoters hand pick opponents for their new "up and coming" fighter. They choose guys that they know are going to lose. Except for some big fights, title fights, the outcome of the fight is pretty much predetermined. Once and a while there'll be a shocking surprise and the guy who was supposed to win will indeed lose, but this is an oddity.

Boxing is too corrupt and I can't even begin to understand the "alphabet soup" organisations. It's a shame because a really good boxing match can change the world. Rember the rumble in the jungle? Of course you do. The images from that fight are historic. Yet, these days, I honestly can't name one of the heavyweight champs. Also, when is the last time we had a unified champ? I haven't the slightest clue.

That's why an organization/league works better. A fighter doesn't have to go 10-0. He just has to show up, work hard and put on a good fight. A promoter isn't riding the tails of a single fighter... so the fans win.

Boxing was great, but it's dead.

If it weren't for gambling... NOBODY would care about boxing.

Idiotic post.

I wrote one sentence than deleted it because a long response is not worth my time.

Plenty of boxers come back from an early loss - Antonio Margarito
MMA fighters get hand picked/easy matches as well - Roger Huerta/Kimbo Slice

Boxing is too corrupt and I can't even begin to understand the "alphabet soup" organisations. It's a shame because a really good boxing match can change the world. Rember the rumble in the jungle? Of course you do. The images from that fight are historic. Yet, these days, I honestly can't name one of the heavyweight champs. Also, when is the last time we had a unified champ? I haven't the slightest clue..

This is understandable since you think the sport is dead. I think Hockey is dead, which is why I can't name too many players on my hometown team, the Blackhawks.

Boxing was great, but it's dead..

If all it takes to be a good MMA fighter is to show up, work hard and put on a good fight, then I guess I should try it out. Screw being good.

Understood.

Your points are valid. I don't agree with them 100%, but they are valid none the less. I'm really dissapointed with boxing, especially in the past 10 years. The most recent Maywhether/DelLahoya (spelling?) fight was, in my mind, a terrible, terrible, terrible fight. See, I'm not one of those people that want every boxing match to end in a KO. That's not boxing. That's two thugs duking it out. But c'mon... that fight was awful. They danced for 12 rounds. There was no winner in that fight... Maywhether just didn't lose as badly.

MMA has just as much if not more problems than Boxing.

3 of the top 4 heavyweights in the world fight in other organizations.

50,000 in Wales for Kessler/Calzaghe.
30,000 Brits in Vegas to see Hatton/Mayweather.
MGM Grand sold out for Pacquiao/Marquez. 2 guys who are 130lbs.
Boxing is more popular than MMA across the globe.

Mayweather/De La Hoya was not a great fight. But it wasnt bad and its more a product of Mayweather being such a great defensive tactitian than 2 guys running away.

The worst fight ive ever seen was not in boxing. It was in MMA.

Understood.

don't be stupid

Somebody put this thread in wasteland so I can rip into this guy.

Maybe I got spoiled growing up with duran and hagler. But to some extent I agree with the op. I was inspired when I saw the guys I mentioned and thier fellow fighters do their thing. Now I have trouble getting enough inspiration to even think about boxing let alone to actually pay for it. I am not looking for every fight to be a KO but I do want it to look like both guys are there to fight.

I dont know how to fix it but about one more clinch fest being called a technical battle will put me passed the point of no return.

Back