Body shot effectiveness?

S
When your liver or sternum take too much damage, you still have to keep going on and deal with the pain while still fighting. After a while, just holding your arms up hurts, moving in and out of range hurts. Every additional shot makes you buckle, the thought of another shot makes you wince. You start glancing at the clock, you just want it to be over.

At least, that's what I fell like. :)

Wow, you just brought me back very painful memories...

Well, my sensei said he's decided to pull his punch on some people because he felt his fist hit their spine.

That should get you the win. Of course, you have to learn to punch like that.

Body shots are very effective. I'd rather be socked in the face, then in the body. It's just not alot of people train to go for body shots, they all rather be head hunters, but I love body shots.

In sparring sessions for my upcoming fight, I've been hurting and dropping my sparring partners with body shots.

That really depends... I've given it alot of thought and I would prefer a hook to the face over the liver but I'd prefer a jab to the body over a jab to the face...

Not only do body shoots leave fightlasting damage/pain and hinderance to your opponents performance but they can also finish a fight from one blow(Rutten + Liver)

Well, my sensei said he's decided to pull his punch on some people because he felt his fist hit their spine.

I doubt that. Smells like BS to me, How can you feel the spine? Maybe it was the flesh getting collected into a tigher space and becoming harder.

Im a shorter bloke so I use the straight right to the solar plexus and left rip to the liver alot. In my most recent fight I could actually feel his power and strength disappearing in the grapple.

I used to get dropped heaps from body shots cos the lads knew id always be protecting my face. So once i learnt how much easier it is to drop someone with a shot to the body i fell in love.

The first body range kick i ever through in a fight, it dropped the bloke. i was spewing that i had wasted so much effort to knock people out with punches to the head when it only took 1 body kick to do the job.

Someone once told me that it was alot easier to beat the 10 count from a head shot (if your not out cold) than it is to catch your breath in 10 seconds.

I doubt that. Smells like BS to me, How can you feel the spine? Maybe it was the flesh getting collected into a tigher space and becoming harder.

Who knows? It's not like it's that far. He's demonstrated really light stuff and it gives you a pretty good shock. It may have taken him a long time to get that punch, but it's not mystical nonsense.

Don't neglect body shots (hooks, rips and straights).
It good to mix things up.

True the sweet liver spot is quite hard to hit properly, but even when you miss you usually hurt your opponent.

And wow feeling theur spine. Now thats major BS!!!! right up there with cigarette dont give cancer!.

I would seriously consider another school if I were you.

bloody effective, they drain you a lot faster and more effectively then a similar punch to the head would. at our MT gym we have a good focus on them.

I always drop when I get a clean shot to the liver. Even with body armour.

Body shots are my speciality, theres nothing more satisfying as a fighter than taking away your opponents will to fight.

I have only ever thrown 3 genuine knockout punches.

2 were straight rights that landed flush on the floating rib.

Was he playing Mortal Kombat, or actually throwing a punch...:icon_conf

The term commonly used "hit em and drive the punch belly button to backbone" is not to be taken literally...... it is metaphorically speaking, you dont actually hit their spine........ :wink:

Someone once told me that it was alot easier to beat the 10 count from a head shot (if your not out cold) than it is to catch your breath in 10 seconds.

someone told you the truth!

Best video I've seen on the liver shot:

YouTube - MMA Muay Thai Boxing Liver Body Shot

Good clip, check this one out. I am at my office so i am not sure if this is the correct clip, cant open youtube....... It should be a clip with Ricky Hatton demonstrating how to open up body shots.... if not, someone tell me and i will add the right clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtAl...t&p=18B7CB49FECE1251&playnext_from=PL&index=2

Good clip, check this one out. I am at my office so i am not sure if this is the correct clip, cant open youtube....... It should be a clip with Ricky Hatton demonstrating how to open up body shots.... if not, someone tell me and i will add the right clip.

YouTube - In This Corner with Ricky Hatton

Yeah that's Hatton.

I like to do the the first technique Hatton mentions even though I'm the opposite style as Hatton. I try to sneak in a body shot (usually a long left hook to the solar plexus) while I'm exiting to the side. Very high percentage of landing since when guys separate they tend to either put their hands up to avoid a headshot on the way out or deliver one.

I really like Mike McCallum's philosophy for body shots in that you "steal them" from your opponent.

Oh no, a TMA geek again.

On topic : of course they are effective. Receiving body shots will tire you, take the will to fight away from you (kind of like leg kicks) and of course good ones will KO you.

But most importantly will make you overprotect your body which in turn brings your hands down.

Back