1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Body shot effectiveness?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Team Pacquiao, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Team Pacquiao

Team Pacquiao White Belt

Hi! I'm just wondering about how effective body shots are and what they'll do to opponents. I've heard that it slows them down and effects their movements, but I want to know why?
    Thanks for answering!

2. Corey Kuropas

Corey Kuropas Banned Banned

Body shots are very effective. I'd rather be socked in the face, then in the body. It's just not alot of people train to go for body shots, they all rather be head hunters, but I love body shots.

In sparring sessions for my upcoming fight, I've been hurting and dropping my sparring partners with body shots.

3. joedogghaze

joedogghaze Purple Belt

They are much more effective in the newest UFC game. Your welcome.

4. jlagman

jlagman Duty Belt

"It's like taking air out of your opponent's tires right before the big race."

Or some bullshit like that...

5. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

okay lots of smart ass answers.funny some of them.

A serious answer, the body is where most of your organs live. They don't like getting abused. for example have you ever had a stitch in your side from running? That was caused by your liver getting jolted to much by your running. Same thing happens when somebody lands a good hook on it only worse.

Your diaphragm controls your breathing and oxygen affects your performance. When your stomach is getting pounded your diaphragm does not want to expand as much and gets tired faster than normal. This decrease oxygen to the system thus reducing your ability to fight.

that help?

6. GSPforLIFE

GSPforLIFE Purple Belt

Even though I'm relatively new to muay thai, I absolutely love body shots. Landing a solid body shot is more rewarding than landing a good shot to the dome, IMO. At this point I`m still figuring out ways to set them up, but the few that I`ve landed flush have felt great.

7. dpold26

dpold26 Blue Belt

Bas Rutten would say they are very effective. Kick to the liver FTW

8. Jesus X

Jesus X Gold Belt

the most painful KO I ever suffered was when I competed in a smoker for my MT gym and I got hit by a knee in the solar plexus, I stayed down for a while and that area was sore for two days, when I sparr at my boxing gym with good amatuer boxers sometimes I get nailed pretty hard to the liver, I can get hit all day in the face and not even feel it but those body blows get you tired and make you wanna quit really fast,they hurt bad.

9. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

Judging by your username you must be a boxing fan. I would expect a boxing fan to know the effectiveness of body shots, not trying to be a dick or anything.

10. Alaskantkdkid

Alaskantkdkid Green Belt

I actually don't mind body shots and am in the opposite camp; I will take a body shot as long as I don't get punched in the face.

11. gotobread

gotobread Purple Belt

Do you have a body? Has it ever been hit with any amount of force? I feel like it's pretty self-explanatory.

12. nothinbutMHS

nothinbutMHS Orange Belt

the clip at the end sums it up. (4:47)

13. Mooney

Mooney Blue Belt

They are extremely effective. I would much prefer to take a shot to the head than the body, from my experience shots to the body are much much harder to recover from.

14. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

i rather take a clean shot to the jaw then the body. but thats just me.

15. silentfury

silentfury Green Belt

body goes down...head goes with it...body is a bigger target...much harder to defend for....take a liver or kidney shot...promise that most people go down from those b/c most people arent conditioned to take hits like that. Catch a person in the solar plexus? knock the wind out of them and they go down...any questions?

16. nothinbutMHS

nothinbutMHS Orange Belt

watch one of kikuno's first DREAM fights - he hits that front piercing kick to the 'plexus and people are done.

17. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    They hurt alot, but I still believe face shots are more effective. Body shots are for damage in the long run if you think you can't hit the opponent's face because he keeps defending it well, or if you dont' have the knockout power to try to lay him out with a couple big punches

18. NakMuayFarang

NakMuayFarang White Belt

For me, Being hit to the head is not that painful, but to the body... ouch!

I personally like the liver as a target hit it hard enough and your opponent hand swill come down and chin will stick out... He's all yours!

19. nothinbutMHS

nothinbutMHS Orange Belt

i agree with this. especially since i have a grappling base, i like to keep away from an opponent and not really engage on the feet. instead, i throw leg and body kicks and body punches at a pretty even rate until i can either open him up to my hands or clinch and get him on the floor.

20. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Someone else already mentioned how your torso has all of your major organs and that taking repeated shots to your torso increases the damage these organs are taking. Making harder to breathe, painful to move, etc.

When your brain takes too much damage, you go unconscious and the fights over. You deal with the pain after the fight. When your liver or sternum take too much damage, you still have to keep going on and deal with the pain while still fighting. After a while, just holding your arms up hurts, moving in and out of range hurts. Every additional shot makes you buckle, the thought of another shot makes you wince. You start glancing at the clock, you just want it to be over.

At least, that's what I fell like. :)