Body shot effectiveness?

Yeah that's Hatton.

I like to do the the first technique Hatton mentions even though I'm the opposite style as Hatton. I try to sneak in a body shot (usually a long left hook to the solar plexus) while I'm exiting to the side. Very high percentage of landing since when guys separate they tend to either put their hands up to avoid a headshot on the way out or deliver one.

I really like Mike McCallum's philosophy for body shots in that you "steal them" from your opponent.

McCallum was genius...... Here is a gif of McCallum that was posted on another forum, thats poetry in motion!

mccallum.gif
[/color]

McCallum was genius...... Here is a gif of McCallum that was posted on another forum, thats poetry in motion!

mccallum.gif
[/color]

Every time someone mentions McCallum I keep hoping Sinister will show up and drop off some words of wisdom - like a magic fight genie or something, lol.

Every time someone mentions McCallum I keep hoping Sinister will show up and drop off some words of wisdom - like a magic fight genie or something, lol.

Where do ya think I got the clip?

ask a friend to hit you in the liver, then you will understand the body shot.

Oh no, a TMA geek again.

On topic : of course they are effective. Receiving body shots will tire you, take the will to fight away from you (kind of like leg kicks) and of course good ones will KO you.

But most importantly will make you overprotect your body which in turn brings your hands down.

This is not true, unless you smash your head into a solid surface falling down you wont be unconcious which means knocked out. They will drop you or surviraley injure you.

a body shot can put you to sleep.
believe me it happens.

This is not true, unless you smash your head into a solid surface falling down you wont be unconcious which means knocked out. They will drop you or surviraley injure you.

Right, I meant by KO that "you won't be able to continue fighting".

And to the person that posted right above, I have never seen this.
I guess if you lose consciousness because of a shock on your organs you are in serious shit aren't you ?

Been on the receiving end of several right crosses
to the solar plexus...not very pleasant lol.

You must recieve one to have full respect for it. Liver shots are nightmare.

People should go for the body more often than the head. It's easier to move your head than the body.

a body shot can put you to sleep.
believe me it happens.

Agree 100% I have been on the receiving end of a couple body shots that almost ended a fight (7count, 8count) and 1 liver shot that did! Personally, i would take a good hard shot in the jaw or nose any day over taking a solid shot in the liver or kidney...... a good hard shot in the liver (for those of you who have not taken one yet) will instantly paralyze you, fold you over and have you on the canvas feeling like your dying...... Even if/after you manage to get up, you will still feel like ya got a knife jammed in your side for a minute or two...... my opinion, liver shot is probably the worst single shot to get hit with.

I know this is an old thread, but i really want to put my thought in it. So apology in advance.
Anyways, personally, i think it's very good. BUT, it's depending on the situation, for example. In muay thai, we usually prefer kicks to the body when we're far away or knees to the body when we're in near clinching distance since these strikes are more devastating.
But it's a trade-off (just like everything), usually when you're kneeing you're more open and off-balance. So a body punch would be a more secure way if you don't want to clinch (same with body kicks, hence why there are not so many body punches in kickboxing). But be careful when you use hook, they could elbow you to the face if you're close enough.

Anyways, in my honest opinion, the best situation is when they're leaning back, a best way to counter it is with a cross (after they douched your jab) to their body. Jab-Jab then Cross. it worked for me, twice :)

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/fight-doctor---the-liver-kick
The fighter takes a shot, you get this nerve signal going into the autonomic nervous system, your blood vessels dilate, the heart rate decreases, the blood pressure suddenly drops, and the athlete collapses. You can’t control it. You’re down.

The reason for the collapse is, when your blood pressure’s going down, your body tries to instinctively control the blood pressure, and if it can’t raise the heart rate or restrict the blood vessels, it puts the body in a supine position so that it can maintain some blood flow to the brain.

If a blow to the liver is severe enough you can lose consciousness. There can be a loss of consciousness caused by this cascade where you have the slowing of the heart rate and the dilation of the blood vessels, while at the same time you get a constriction of blood vessels in the brain. It’s like your body does everything wrong in that instant.

the most painful KO I ever suffered was when I competed in a smoker for my MT gym and I got hit by a knee in the solar plexus, I stayed down for a while and that area was sore for two days, when I sparr at my boxing gym with good amatuer boxers sometimes I get nailed pretty hard to the liver, I can get hit all day in the face and not even feel it but those body blows get you tired and make you wanna quit really fast,they hurt bad.
I just wrote about something similar on another thread. What sucks is that a knee to the old plexus doesn't have to be too hard and it doesn't look as menacing to spectators, but holy shit it hurts. The area was bruised blue and green for a week.

I just wrote about something similar on another thread. What sucks is that a knee to the old plexus doesn't have to be too hard and it doesn't look as menacing to spectators, but holy shit it hurts. The area was bruised blue and green for a week.
This.

My first demo, I ate a big knee from the outside while my guard was too high up, and couldn't breathe.

when I watched the vid, I was expecting a highlight-reel level impact, but it looked like the weakest knee I ever saw in a video. I was legit confused for a bit why something that looked so slow and weak had that much impact

I was always told back in the 90's kickboxing that the liver was a knock out point and so was the solar plexus. Kidneys don't feel good either. Lennox Lewis said they are either strong to the body of strong to the head rarely both.

I got hit in training for the first time with a proper one the other day one of the worst feelings i have experienced for about 30 seconds

Back