• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bobybuilding is pretty cool

BJJ Lover

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not something I participate in but lately I've been starting to have a lot of respect and admiration for it as a sport and lifestyle.

Great post. Really got me thinking and I'm sure it will result in a great conversation.

While it has largely good aspects and I am a large fan (and disciple) and have been since 05 both the sport and general lifestyle take things too far (for example contest condition is terrible for you and provides no benefits other than looking like a freak for a couple hours and half starved for the preceding couple months).

Not even getting into the ped abuse the sport/muscle pageant requires. I like the performance aspects of powerlifting/calisthenics/gymnastics too much to be a pure bodybuilder but you could call my training gympowerbuilding I suppose. And you bet I'll be around 10 percent waxed and with a (fake) tan on the beach when summer comes around.

Is there a certain minimum standard you have to attain before you can claim to be a bodybuilder? The term gets thrown around alot.

Is there a certain minimum standard you have to attain before you can claim to be a bodybuilder? The term gets thrown around alot.
IMO intent is the qualifying criteria. If you train specifically specifically for hypertrophy, and diet to minimize body fat, in the pursuit of a leaner and more muscular aesthetic, you are a bodybuilder.

Otherwise, if you are stricter with your criteria, you will have to have competed at least once to claim the term.

IMO intent is the qualifying criteria. If you train specifically specifically for hypertrophy, and diet to minimize body fat, in the pursuit of a leaner and more muscular aesthetic, you are a bodybuilder.

Otherwise, if you are stricter with your criteria, you will have to have competed at least once to claim the term.
That's a good set of terms. Always directly linked it to mass monsters, like you had to be of size that you hit your buddy and say Look at the buns on that.

You definitely have to compete.
I don't think many people consider bodybuilding "cool" probably closer to the opposite.
It's impressive though.

Not something I participate in but lately I've been starting to have a lot of respect and admiration for it as a sport and lifestyle.

Bodybuilding is NOT a sport. It's a beauty contest for men with body image problems. Greasing yourself up, throwing on a thong and letting other grown men judge your looks is ridiculous.

Bodybuilding is NOT a sport. It's a beauty contest for men with body image problems. Greasing yourself up, throwing on a thong and letting other grown men judge your looks is ridiculous.

It is a sport. However the thong thing is ridiculous. Like seriously. You really need to judge each others ass muscles?

Where I'm from bodybuilder just means someone who lifts weights in the gym to get muscles. Doing bodybuilding, lifting weights trying to get "ripped" bro.

I think bodybuilding is nice. Personally like Combat sports the most and physiques resulting from those sports.

And oh my does it look bad when someone skips leg days and got buffer arms then legs.

It is a sport. However the thong thing is ridiculous. Like seriously. You really need to judge each others ass muscles?

Where I'm from bodybuilder just means someone who lifts weights in the gym to get muscles. Doing bodybuilding, lifting weights trying to get "ripped" bro.

I think bodybuilding is nice. Personally like Combat sports the most and physiques resulting from those sports.

And oh my does it look bad when someone skips leg days and got buffer arms then legs.

Beauty contests aren't sports.

definition
Sport : an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Taking tons of steroids and starving/dehydrating yourself nearly to death so other men can say you look good doesn't constitute a sport in my opinion.

Yeah, its no sport, just a swimsuit contest.

We understand it takes discipline to workout and eat utter shit tasting meals, while never consuming alcohol, its nothing to call an athletic sport.

It's more of a sport than golf. You don't retire and then start body building.

Yet men look up to men with great physical attributes lol

I respect what bodybuilders can do in the weight room. But bodybuilding is not a sport. Competitors are judged purely on their physique; not any sort of athletic or physical ability.

Yet men look up to men with great physical attributes lol

Some men do. Other men look at physical and mental accomplishments for inspiration.

I don't find bodybuilding any more appealing than the miss universe or whatever pageants.

Cool? Yes. Yes it is.

Back