BLUE belt test?

Gsoares2 said:
300 students? jesus where the F do you train? we got like 10 guys at our place at night.
the beating would be next to death... ive seen guys with welts... but 300 and your dead.

And you can

kinda dumb. just have them run the gauntlet. since the school is so big where you are, just have them grapple with all the blues or something one after another, win or lose.

Fight_Song said:
kinda dumb. just have them run the gauntlet. since the school is so big where you are, just have them grapple with all the blues or something one after another, win or lose.

its not a test, and it is not dumb, it is very stupid and very cool. It

Enron Exec. said:
I am sorry but that is weak. There should be a test. A test to me is McDojo-ish. Knowing and being able to do those things are 2 different things. I can do pretty much almost 98% of the BJJ moves I know on white belts but it doesnt mean Im gonna get a Purple for it

if you can tap all the whites should you get the blue or should you show some basic jiu jitsu knowlegde?

the place i train tests for blue. you aren't allowed to test as soon as you can monkey through the moves. you have to get to the blue belt level and then prove that you have some basic knowledge of jiu jitsu as well to get your blue belt.

apapen said:
Do you guys get your backs f...up when getting the new belt? We have a this tradition where you need to walk through a corridor of more than 300 students, and you get belt hitting on your back...it is really messed up, most guys bleed in many spots and are purple and sore for weeks.
Well you should not bleed if they allow you to wear your gi.
But yeah, I participated in such corridor!

serge said:
Well you should not bleed if they allow you to wear your gi.
But yeah, I participated in such corridor!
Only girls are allowed to wear the gi, men have to walk through without their shirts

Before the gauntlet, the blue belts at my school have to do squats with a heavyweight draped across their shoulders haha it's hysterical, and this is also after three rounds of sparring two on one for submission (two white belts on the white belt becoming a blue), and the formal technique test. So it's pretty extensive, but I mean, once you get your blue, it's basically acknowledging that you're competent in BJJ on a basic level, and from there, everything else is just learning the basics from different positions and variations, setups, etc.

I was given my blue after I warming up for class. No ceremony or anything. Personally I don't care if I'm blue for the rest of my life. Belts aren't that important to me. Whipping ass and getting the job done is more important. I don't need a belt to tell me how good I am.

physicaltherapy said:
Personally I don't care if I'm blue for the rest of my life. Belts aren't that important to me. Whipping ass and getting the job done is more important. I don't need a belt to tell me how good I am.

I'll probably have a simmilar view once I get the blue - but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to get off white tho, just because it kind of offically makes you not "new" anymore (going to take some work to get there mind you).

We have to wait for semminars to get graded or go down to London training here, Best I can tell they're just given to whoever Roger thinks is ready, our instructor can recomend people for it but is only a Blue himself (Should be a purple in the opinion of everyone I know that rolls/trains with him regulaly, including myself) so is unable to grade people.

At my place the instructor looks at us and sees us at every session. We do have a "test". But it's more for confirmation that you know the "how to's".

no tests... you just get it when john thinks you deserve it. he seems to treat blue belt more
as a basic learners permit -- i.e. you can handle yourself and won't get hurt, then you get your blue....
then of course, you stay blue for years.... you can tell who is good by how faded their blue is...
some of em are pretty tattered...

ClubberLange said:
I just got mine thrown to me at the end of a class once.
I guess it's because I was holding my own against most of the blues.

Dude, did the instructor literally throw the belt to you? If so, that's pretty funny.

Bravo required no test, Machado just felt he accomplished what it took to get the BB, and so rewarded.

american top team has formal belt testing and a promotion ceramony in front of the whiole school

We don't do testing in the RGDA. My instructor just calls Royler or David Adiv and says "This guy is ready." then we go see royler or david and if they agree, we get the belt.

It depends on the teaher. Some instructors require you to have mastered a certain number of techniques and tapping out some blue belts as well. Others just base promotions on skill alone.

there was no test, we were just graded for these 4 things

1. understanding of the art
2. attitude
3. dedication
4. representation of the school

hehehe, notice that ability to kick ass is not listed?
and I go to a school with a famous instructor, I won't say the name,
but let me just say he's a 6th degree black belt in BJJ.

At my school, the person who gets tested is in the middle of the sharktank then has to roll with everyone who gets a position on him. Also do the same thing with self defense, we have people come from all directions grab him in some way and he has to do a self defense technique.

Back