BLUE belt test?

Jeremy Henderson

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
I was just curious to see what different schools require as far as testing for BLUE belt? I have seen some need som many hours, some need to know X amount of teqniques, and some just promote when they feel like thay are ready. I was wanting to know if people would post their curriqulem, so we can see all the different ways and teqniqes required at different schools!

spar in front of carlson, display technique from all positions, get your belt

I just got mine thrown to me at the end of a class once.
I guess it's because I was holding my own against most of the blues.

Same here, I got mine after only 8 months of bjj. I was also holding my own against the other blues and beating the newer blues. No test at all. Just a beating, running the gauntlet

In our gym there is no belt tests, the insturctor lock's our sparring and the he gives the belt

serima said:
In our gym there is no belt tests, the insturctor lock's our sparring and the he gives the belt

I have the impression this is usual in BJJ. But i think the students training in scools under Roy Harris has some formal tests aswell. Atleast for high belt gradings. Not 100% sure how this works.

my school runs the belt testing

i strongly disagree with it because we have luiz palhares come down every 3 months to give us a seminar. He has a huge list of techniques and asks what you are testing for, and then he tells you to show him a bunch of stuff

this imo is a terrible way to promote because what if I am on a off day? he doesnt see me tapping everyone else, he just see's me tired/hungover/sick and so I dont get promoted

I am thinking about attending some seminars and getting promoted somewhere else because as much as I love Luiz and ive been with him for a while, I just dont like the way that he does the testing

minimagpro said:
my school runs the belt testing

i strongly disagree with it because we have luiz palhares come down every 3 months to give us a seminar. He has a huge list of techniques and asks what you are testing for, and then he tells you to show him a bunch of stuff

this imo is a terrible way to promote because what if I am on a off day? he doesnt see me tapping everyone else, he just see's me tired/hungover/sick and so I dont get promoted

I am thinking about attending some seminars and getting promoted somewhere else because as much as I love Luiz and ive been with him for a while, I just dont like the way that he does the testing
I doubt another instructor will promote you. There's more to promotion than skill. Loyalty, respect, etc... are also great points to remember. And it's not very respectful leaving your school in search for an instructor who will promote you.

No test its just given when your instructor feels you deserve one

kingofallbacks said:

I am sorry but that is weak. There should be a test. A test to me is McDojo-ish. Knowing and being able to do those things are 2 different things. I can do pretty much almost 98% of the BJJ moves I know on white belts but it doesnt mean Im gonna get a Purple for it

Enron Exec. said:
I am sorry but that is weak. There should be a test. A test to me is McDojo-ish. Knowing and being able to do those things are 2 different things. I can do pretty much almost 98% of the BJJ moves I know on white belts but it doesnt mean Im gonna get a Purple for it

call it weak if you want, but do you know who jacare is?? if you do, then you must know that he has produced some of the best in the world and his tests are not weak.

kingofallbacks said:
call it weak if you want, but do you know who jacare is?? if you do, then you must know that he has produced some of the best in the world and his tests are not weak.

You know anyone who will say no to $$$$ ?

i can envision tests being needed when the instructor cannot promote (being a lower belt). thus someone else will have to promote you (maybe the instructor's instructor) and that person probably hasn't seen you beat up on all the blues in class (since he only comes around every so often). a belt test will help that person determine if you are up to par (but he should also factor in the recommendation of your instructor).

Rickson's school requires very formal testing. It involves a combination of technique demonstration and explanation together with live sparring. The blue belt test involving 6 guys total took 4-1/2 hours and was very grueling. He gives the syllabus to each person taking the test in advance, and varies slightly from it from time to time. It's quite rigorous at each belt level, I assure you.

An example would be he calls you out onto the mat with one other guy and you put the other guy in guard. You are told to explain and demonstrate 5 submissions from the guard position. Later in the test, you may be required to start in that closed guard position and try to submit, while your opponent is told to pass your closed guard. That live sparring might go on for 3 minutes in each different position. Each guy taking the test has to do the same drill.

The syllabus listed about 40 different things you have to know or do during the blue belt test.

No official test at mine just a ceremony.

Back