Blizzard/Activision, how far will they fall?

Blizzard developers are also working on it;
JZ197f4.jpg

Lol at the one token white guy that’s probably thinking “what the fuck does all that say on the screen?”

The last thing i bought from Blizzard was the remastered Starcraft. I was ripped off. Before that, i think it was the last Starcraft 2 expansion. I loved it.

In all reality, the only thing i didnt like was D3. Besides starcraft remastered being lukewarm, ive maybe loved everything else theyve done. Oh, but ive never ever done wow or overwatch.

That said, id ONLY get the war 3 remaster if they allowed me to select all the units, of which, they wont. So....D4 (which cant be anything like D3), War 4, or Star 3...or something fresh.

If not, thanks for the memories and goodbye.

I don't know but a good friend of mine was one of their support guys at their Irvine campus and he just bailed out with a sweet severance package.

Sad to see a good company fall and be out of touch with their consumer base.

I watched an amazing video I can't seem to remember the name of at the moment that basically described how this is the inevitable end of game making companies that ever become publicly held or profit driven due to how developers time to shine is in the initial portion of game creation and then for EXPACS in MMO's but the problem is once the game is released it's hard to ascribe the companies further success to them. On the contrary the marketers in the company get a lot of the glory once the final product is over and done with so marketers tend to get continuously promoted after the initial game cycle is over. What ends up happening is people with absolutely no idea what makes a good game start to influence development which eventually pushes out the key developers as marketing people tend to fail to understand their vision and only really care about something that seems marketable to them.

Inevitably it leads to what a lot of people are describing in WoW with the statement "stop trying to turn is from players into payers."

Blizzard/Activision just fired their CFO yesterday.

Netflix poached him

"“Finance in general in Blizzard has been one of these invisible functions that’s there, but doesn’t have a say,” said one veteran employee who left recently and asked not to be named because they were not authorized to talk to press. “Now they’re suddenly in meetings.”

Said a second, who also asked not to be named: “A lot of decisions now are being driven by business folks, marketing and finance folks. There’s a real struggle now between developers and the business people… Strategic decisions are being driven by the finance group.”"

Blizzard loses their CFO: https://www.bizjournals.com/losange...ivision-blizzard-loses-2nd-cfo-this-week.html

Blizzard were warned about 'Ellie' well before she was signed to an OWL Contenders team: https://www.dexerto.com/overwatch/e...ms-blizzard-knew-about-ellie-situation-276507

Race allegations against the Hearthstone team: https://www.hotspawn.com/allegations-of-racial-abuse-levied-against-blizzard/?no-cache=1

Hearthstone survey to players released. One of the questions deal with "If there were no Blizzard sponsored Hearthstone tournaments, how likely are you to play Hearthstone in the next 30 days?". Signaling the Hearthstone esports may be HoTS soon.

Last edited:
I know there are a few community run HoTS tourneys but are there any for Hearthstone? I think Blizz e sports would be better off if provided supplementary support to these groups instead of trying to run a league like the NFL. Then they could host a grand tournament once a year for their games similar to The International or Capcom Cup rather than hemorrhaging money trying to artificially prop it up.

I watched an amazing video I can't seem to remember the name of at the moment that basically described how this is the inevitable end of game making companies that ever become publicly held or profit driven due to how developers time to shine is in the initial portion of game creation and then for EXPACS in MMO's but the problem is once the game is released it's hard to ascribe the companies further success to them. On the contrary the marketers in the company get a lot of the glory once the final product is over and done with so marketers tend to get continuously promoted after the initial game cycle is over. What ends up happening is people with absolutely no idea what makes a good game start to influence development which eventually pushes out the key developers as marketing people tend to fail to understand their vision and only really care about something that seems marketable to them.

Inevitably it leads to what a lot of people are describing in WoW with the statement "stop trying to turn is from players into payers."
This is true in most of the corporate world.

People who actually make, design and support the core product take second fiddle to the sales people.

It's not uncommon for companies to hire someone from a sales background to manage a nonsales team, often from a completely different industry. But their ability to "drive numbers" and push arbitrary quotas are what they are hired for, even if they literally know nothing about the product.

It sends the message, "who cares what our product is like, just figure out a way to sell it." But of course anyone with half a brain knows good products tend to sell themselves.

It's clear they aren't changing course, so maybe they need to keep falling:
Activision Blizzard solidifies leadership at Activision, King
I don't care about COD, and I don't particularly care about most Activision publications. Blizzard is the company I love. Overwatch has been a smashing success. They need more of that, and less of Diablo 3 or the freemium schemes that cripple more facile entry into games like Hearthstone. It doesn't look like anything is going to change with them.

Meanwhile, Tencent seems to get it. They have racked up the best freemium games ever made: League of Legends, Fortnite, Clash of Clans & Clash Royale, PUBG (Mobile), Path of Exile, etc. They have this intuitive understanding of how distinct their consumer bases are. They keep the shit casual mobile stuff from polluting the really strong franchises, and they restrict microtransactions to vanity.

Meanwhile, as Kane continues to obsess over Activision and Blizzard, ironically it's going to be Tencent that really takes down his sweetheart Valve and the Steam market.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent#Video_games
Wikipedia said:
In 2017, 21 April, Tencent announced the rebranding of its Chinese 'Tencent game platform' as WeGame,[173] which was launched in September 2017. Tencent has since announced plans to develop a Hong Kong edition of WeGame that can be used by players outside of China, potentially setting up the platform to compete with Valve Corporation's Steam platform.[174]

Meanwhile, Tencent seems to get it. They have racked up the best freemium games ever made: League of Legends, Fortnite, Clash of Clans & Clash Royale, PUBG (Mobile), Path of Exile, etc. They have this intuitive understanding of how distinct their consumer bases are. They keep the shit casual mobile stuff from polluting the really strong franchises, and they restrict microtransactions to vanity.

"Tencent posted total revenue of RMB 80.6billion ($11.7million) for the third quarter with a yearly growth of 24%. Advertising, cloud service and video subscriptions have become Tencent’s main revenue growth driver while its games business suffered revenue loss under stricter regulations by authorities in mainland China to limit negative impact on children."

https://technology.ihs.com/608038/t...revenue-streams-replace-games-to-drive-growth

"Tencent posted total revenue of RMB 80.6billion ($11.7million) for the third quarter with a yearly growth of 24%. Advertising, cloud service and video subscriptions have become Tencent’s main revenue growth driver while its games business suffered revenue loss under stricter regulations by authorities in mainland China to limit negative impact on children."

https://technology.ihs.com/608038/t...revenue-streams-replace-games-to-drive-growth
Which is precisely what is driving their expansion into international markets:
Tencent And Netease Mobile Game Revenue Rose 382% This Year (Analyst)
Variety said:
“Tencent and NetEase have begun to build a stronger international franchise for their games in response to the regulatory environment in their domestic market,” said IHS Markit games research and analysis director Piers Harding-Rolls. “However, even with this stronger focus, in the opening nine months of 2018, direct international revenues from mobile games represented only 3% of the companies’ total mobile games revenue. Both companies still have a mountain to climb to derive meaningful revenues from international markets to offset slowing growth in mainland China.”

NetEase reportedly accounts for 72% of the combined company revenue growth, which underlines Tencent’s limited success in exporting games to international markets, IHS Markit said. “Arena of Valor” is popular in Asian markets but has failed to catch on with Western audiences. “PUBG Mobile” has fared better, yet it represented just 2% of Tencent’s overall mobile games business in the third quarter of 2018.
PUBG Mobile and Arena of Valor happen to be two of the five biggest eSports on mobile platforms (these are Clash Royale, Turbo Racing League, Arena of Valor, Vainglory, and PUBG Mobile...Hearthstone may be bigger than all of these, but not from its mobile eSports presence). Additionally, Fortnite will leapfrog past every game except for Dota 2 in terms of all-time payouts with its $100 million in total prize money for the 2019 World Cup, and will easily become the most lucrative active eSport (Dota 2 paid out $41.3m in 2018).

Also, while we're nitpicking...
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...revenues-drop-but-daily-users-are-on-the-rise
Online games revenue decreased by 4% to $3.7 billion for the period, with a modest increase from mobile unable to offset the tumbling PC revenues.

The continued success of Honor of Kings in China, and Tencent's international portfolio, saw smartphone revenue grow 7% year-on-year and 11% sequentially to reach $2.8 billion for the period.

PC game revenue took a hammering though, falling 15% year-on-year and 4% sequentially to $1.7 billion
If that was down in 2018 this means Tencent did $1.95bn revenue on PC gaming in 2017. So Statista tells me in 2017 Steam's gross worldwide game sales equaled $4.3bn, and Valve took a 30% split that year (it's as low as 20% now for bigger games since the new revenue-sharing agreement more favorable to developers Valve stipulated in November). This means Valve made $1.3bn in 2017.

Meanwhile, Valve is preparing to launch an official Steam client in China...which any sensible reader will interpret as a prelude to China cracking down on their uncensored, unofficial presence in the country that is already dwarfed by companies like Tencent, there, so I'm not sure where you're hanging your hat with these figures. Tencent is already way out in front, and Steam hasn't even been swatted with China's great regulatory ping-pong paddle, yet.
(1) Steam is finally coming to China… but gamers think it’s dead on arrival
(2) Valve gets closer to officially launching Steam in China

VG24-7 said:
Steam is poised to have a massive user base in China, one of the biggest markets in the world. It already has over 30 million users, a figure which will no doubt grow once the localised version officially launches.

It remains to be seen, however, if the international version will continue to be accessible after that.

Part of the reason why Steam is so popular in China today has to do with censorship and the availability of games on the store. If the government-sanctioned version of Steam only supports pre-approved games, it may hurt its growth potential.
China has a beautiful 3-point plan, here.
  1. First, they are going to force Steam to partner with a local corporation so they can plunder as much IP as possible from their digital infrastructure.
  2. Second, in doing this, they are simultaneously going to force Steam to neuter its platform which potentially won't just slow its growth in China along with companies like Tencent and Netease, but very likely could depress its presence.
  3. Third, they use what they learn to expand more aggressively into the western markets with their own digital store that conforms to less regulated western laws.
Meanwhile, they're highly diversified, and they're quite active in development, so unlike Valve, they aren't wholly dependent on revenue from games licensing.

But more important than all of this is that they also aren't married to the PC. Kids who have grown up on smartphones don't give a shit about Linux or Windows. The Steam of the future will be dominated by mobile revenue even if it also includes Linux/Windows content. That is how you drink the milkshake of a monopoly. You change the board. After all, with the rise of set-top boxes that run these mobile operating systems, it's only a matter of time before terms like "desktop" become semantic. Kids with have controllers and KB+M gaming on NVIDIA Shields or Apple TVs.

This isn't a "box". Unlike the consoles Sony and Microsoft sell at a loss, with their walled gardens, you can't hope to dominate this landscape if you don't accommodate the dominant global operating system...and that is undoubtedly set to be Android.

Last edited:
Which is precisely what is driving their expansion into international markets:

Madmick, Tencent originally acts more like a game publisher. Primarily dealing with outside game developers who want access to the Chinese market. Who in the process sell a minority stake of their studio for such access. Resulting in Tencent acting more like an investment company.

As a company Tencent is heavily diversified in the technology field. Where the majority of their revenue comes from games. An when you look at their past published games directed outside of China. Nearly all of them dont perform.

Their planned growth outside of China will be interesting to watch. Yet lets not assume the success theyve seen in China will be met worldwide.

Madmick, Tencent originally acts more like a game publisher. Primarily dealing with outside game developers who want access to the Chinese market. Who in the process sell a minority stake of their studio for such access. Resulting in Tencent acting more like an investment company.

As a company Tencent is heavily diversified in the technology field. Where the majority of their revenue comes from games. An when you look at their past published games directed outside of China. Nearly all of them dont perform.

Their planned growth outside of China will be interesting to watch. Yet lets not assume the success theyve seen in China will be met worldwide.
How wildly you underestimate the ambition of the Chinese.

Back