Blizzard/Activision, how far will they fall?

Activision = drizzling shits.

I'd rather buy and play an EA game.

SC2 scene is growing increasingly worried as the announcements for their Korean leagues and global events this year are well overdue. Last year was the best for SC2 in a long time (player count, viewer count, everything) so it would be gutting if that momentum was crushed by outside forces. Might be a bit dramatic but I won't spend another penny on Blizzard or Activision if they cancel SC2 as an esport overnight, as they did with HOTS. Mike Morhaime was our patron saint and always made sure to take care of Starcraft, with him gone it looks like bad times ahead.

I haven't been a fan of Blizzard since the Warcraft 3 days. Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 always felt so goddamned phoned-in to me. They were solid games, but not the leaps forward they should've been.

Overwatch is literally the only game they've made in the past 15 years that's impressed me, and the recent bullshit move they pulled with the mobile-only Diablo game is just the cherry on top.

If they went under it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. The Blizzard I grew up with is long gone.

Last edited:
Blizzard has been awful for a while now. Diablo 3 was such a backstep. HOTS is just a poor inferior LOL/DOTA with poor matchmaking. And they’ve completely ruined OW with their asinine heavy handed handling of balance and introduction of derp hero’s while ignoring the flaws of existing ones. They dumb gimmicks they are pulling with character lore let’s you know the state of that game and why people aren’t playing it

Might be a bit dramatic but I won't spend another penny on Blizzard or Activision if they cancel SC2 as an esport overnight, as they did with HOTS.

While SC2 esport numbers were identical to HoTS. I'd be shocked if they cut SC2 esports funding. Since it was their flagship esports IP for over a decade. Regardless if Overwatch is now viewed as their esports flagship title. We'll likely see World of Warcraft and Hearthstone esports funding cut before SC2.

The sentiment that you iterated if they do would be echoed by veteran Blizzard title supporters. Which is why i cant fathom them doing it.

Morhaime is apparently cutting out of his "strategic advisory" role early, lol.
tenor.gif

All the gains that their stock made at the start of the new year was lost today. Bungie split saved Blizzards funding for World of Warcraft and Hearthstone esports. But if this stock trend continues i dont see them surviving. An SC2 esports will probably see another year of constriction after finally having a positive growth year since 2012.

While SC2 esport numbers were identical to HoTS. I'd be shocked if they cut SC2 esports funding. Since it was their flagship esports IP for over a decade. Regardless if Overwatch is now viewed as their esports flagship title. We'll likely see World of Warcraft and Hearthstone esports funding cut before SC2.

The sentiment that you iterated if they do would be echoed by veteran Blizzard title supporters. Which is why i cant fathom them doing it.

You're right. Blizzard's USP has been that they support their games forever. If they pull the plug on two games in quick succession, that will be over and any goodwill they have will be lost. I think people underrate what a big factor that was in Overwatch being a success. Other Blizzard fan boys all bought it because they were sure it would be supported and maintained. It was a completely new IP but had a dedicated fanbase on release because it was Blizzard.

if they didn't go down for fraud from d3 ("gameplay trailer" featuring... zero gameplay), they probably won't from this. although, the SEC might be bored.

For Blizzard at least, I hope they don't hurt too much. Diablo Immortal(or whatever) was a fuck up, but I don't think gamers realize the pound of flesh they're asking for, and the consequences that might come from it. Same with Bethesda and the whole "Fallout 76" debacle. You see gamers calling for their demise, and I'm thinking "Really? One bad game, and that's the line? Fuck everything else they've ever done? They're now shit and they should die?"

It's so absurd. These are for the most part, good developers who make quality, and some of the best games ever made has come from them. You want all their future potential to go away, and discredit everything they've ever done, because they pissed you off a few times? Jesus Christ. Entitled much?

For Blizzard at least, I hope they don't hurt too much. Diablo Immortal(or whatever) was a fuck up, but I don't think gamers realize the pound of flesh they're asking for, and the consequences that might come from it. Same with Bethesda and the whole "Fallout 76" debacle. You see gamers calling for their demise, and I'm thinking "Really? One bad game, and that's the line? Fuck everything else they've ever done? They're now shit and they should die?"

It's so absurd. These are for the most part, good developers who make quality, and some of the best games ever made has come from them. You want all their future potential to go away, and discredit everything they've ever done, because they pissed you off a few times? Jesus Christ. Entitled much?
The Blizzard hipsters truly are as annoying as they come. It's an incredible gaming company. It's been one of the finest developers in the world for decades.

At this point I think all of us Blizzard fans just have our fingers crossed that they'll pull a Bungie and "divorce" this predatory publisher.

Last edited:

.......wait, ONE? where are you getting "one bad game" from?

each studio you mentioned had numerous fuck-ups. when did bethesda ever even finish a game?

each studio you mentioned had numerous fuck-ups. when did bethesda ever even finish a game?

Are you seriously equating a few glitches to complete fuck ups? Were "Skyrim" and "Fallout 3" absolute pieces of shit, because of some technical flaws? No. The overall experiences were incredible. This is what I'm talking about. Entitlement. They make some of the most immersive games ever made, and gamers take a shit on them, because they weren't 100% perfect.

"Oh' my god, this world is amazing. It actually feels alive and lived in. I feel like I'm there. Holy shit, this game is ama-...wait a tick. What's that over there? Oh' my god, is that a horse in the air? Are you fucking kidding me! This game's terrible! Fucking bullshit glitches! I hope Bethesda never makes a game again and goes out of business! Fuck them! Worst game ever!"

- Totally Not Entitled Gamers

fallout 4 was a piece of shit that became more unplayable/problematic the more the map was explored.

they didn't even try to fix it. then there was the modding debacle...

100% perfect? lolwut? if i'm paying $50+ for a game, i don't want to be a beta tester. especially when they don't even fix the problems, to begin with. it's sure as shit bethesda's fault that they shipped out unfinished games.

it's hardly entitlement to want something that works.

and ffs, blizzard put out a 20 minute "gameplay trailer" that literally had no gameplay. i guess i'm entitled for wanting the actual game they marketed and not the POS they shipped.

Yeah, I know, I saw it. I already have my fingers crossed the same will happen with Blizzard, but I doubt it.
The Blizzard hipsters truly are as annoying as they come. It's an incredible gaming company. It's been one of the finest developers in the world for decades.

At this point I think all of us Blizzard fans just have our fingers crossed that they'll pull a Bungie and "divorce" this predatory publisher.

Are you seriously equating a few glitches to complete fuck ups? Were "Skyrim" and "Fallout 3" absolute pieces of shit, because of some technical flaws? No. The overall experiences were incredible. This is what I'm talking about. Entitlement. They make some of the most immersive games ever made, and gamers take a shit on them, because they weren't 100% perfect.

"Oh' my god, this world is amazing. It actually feels alive and lived in. I feel like I'm there. Holy shit, this game is ama-...wait a tick. What's that over there? Oh' my god, is that a horse in the air? Are you fucking kidding me! This game's terrible! Fucking bullshit glitches! I hope Bethesda never makes a game again and goes out of business! Fuck them! Worst game ever!"

- Totally Not Entitled Gamers
Uh, it's not entitlement to want them to make a game that is at least on par with their old games. FO4 and Vault 76 have gotten progressively worse, and it makes me worried about what they have in store for the next Elder Scrolls. I bought 4 and was let down, it was not a good game and it was full of bugs and it was built on the same engine that was like 10+ years old at that point still experiencing the same damn bugs. So I knew better when I heard 76 get announced and didn't buy it. If anyone is acting entitled, it's Bethesda (or their publisher, I'm not a fly on the wall) by expecting it's fans to keep buying these games as the put less and less effort into them each time.

I'm not calling for their demise though. It's the opposite, I hope the have a renaissance. But that isn't going to happen if people buy up their garbage games and keep pretending it's fine.

Uh, it's not entitlement to want them to make a game that is at least on par with their old games.

That's completely subjective though. You're certainly entitled to your opinion of which games you liked best, and expressing your wishes that they find their groove again.

The stuff I'm talking about more relates to the Diablo mess, than Bethesda though. Bethesda for the most part, has earned a lot of it's more recent criticism, as their product is getting criticized after it's release. Blizzard on the other hand, just decided to make a game on mobile. Now sure, it wasn't what the hardcore fans wanted, and I do think it's a little perplexing and tone deaf in how they rolled it out. You don't stop the presses for a goddamn mobile game. You especially don't do it in front of your most hardcore fans at some nerd con. That's some shit you roll out with some banner ads, and some vids, not as a premiere release.

That said, the fans are being brats about it. They're dumping all over them for not getting what they want, exactly when they want it. That's entitlement. Blizzard is allowed to make a mobile Diablo game, and give that market a shot with it. The fans don't care how good/bad the game is, they've just decided that Blizzard now sucks, because they didn't give them their binky. Bunch of spoiled little girls crying because they didn't get the doll house they wanted.

I'm not calling for their demise though. It's the opposite, I hope the have a renaissance. But that isn't going to happen if people buy up their garbage games and keep pretending it's fine.

And that's something gamers can control...but don't. Some other poster mentioned that kind of thing in this thread in regards to "Diablo 3". Game sucks so bad, that fans bought it on all platforms and dumped at least 50 hours into it. Paid for their product(multiple times over in a lot of cases), and got value out of it. Boy, that'll teach 'em. Same thing with micro-transactions. People where it as some kind of badge of honor if they've only bought a few for their favorite games. If you bought ONE, you're part of the problem.

Back