Blaydes is the fitch of heavyweight

Agreed, no arguments from me. The only times I found his fights remotely interesting was when he was getting laid out cold.

He should go to ziprecruiter.com.
That's ziprecruiter.com.
Say it again, ziprecruiter.com
Enter 'goof' as a code and get 15% off your next Bellator contract.
Honestly, I was more upset that Jose Cuervo was a sponsor. Felt like a betrayal of Tequila Cazadores

Professional Gatekeepers don't go on 13-1 runs.
Is Cerrone a gatekepper?
He had a 12-1 run.

How about Matt Brown?
8-1 run.

Fitch.
13-1 run in the UFC with the loss being for the belt. Never held UFC gold.

Count interim belts as gold? No? Tony Ferguson.
14-1 run in the UFC. Interim titles, no real belts.

List some guys you consider "gatekeepers" in this sport. Let's evaluate.

Is Cerrone a gatekepper?
He had a 12-1 run.

How about Matt Brown?
8-1 run.

Fitch.
13-1 run in the UFC with the loss being for the belt. Never held UFC gold.

Count interim belts as gold? No? Tony Ferguson.
14-1 run in the UFC. Interim titles, no real belts.

List some guys you consider "gatekeepers" in this sport. Let's evaluate.

Cerrone is overrated but at that particular point he was a contender because you know he got a title fight. If you get a title fight your a contender. The whole point of a gatekeeper means they aren't in the title picture and are guarding the gate. While yes Fitch didn't get a second shot title shot this was only because the then current champ had beaten him so severley. If you are number 2 for years on end you are not a gatekeeper. Was Joe B a gatekeeper when he couldn't get a title shot?

LW wins and losses is kinda different for historical reasons.

Zero Charisma, constantly stinks up a card with his fighting style, only exciting when he's getting finished.
Agree with you 100% TS. I was there live and 2 minutes into Round 1 got up to take a piss and order some food and drinks. I was there through all the prelims and main card and didnt do that with any other fight. I cant stand watching his fights and I come from a grappling background and like most grapplers ( and strikers like everyone else). Blaydes is just hard to watch. I enjoyed Fitche's fights more than him tbh.

I thought the scrap was ok...Not the best Curtis but kinda expected given who he was fighting. He did see a bit more tentative though... Not that I'm great at reading that sorta shit blah blah...

Agree with you 100% TS. I was there live and 2 minutes into Round 1 got up to take a piss and order some food and drinks. I was there through all the prelims and main card and didnt do that with any other fight. I cant stand watching his fights and I come from a grappling background and like most grapplers ( and strikers like everyone else). Blaydes is just hard to watch. I enjoyed Fitche's fights more than him tbh.

Blaydes has 6 finishes in 11 ufc wins.

Fitch had 4 outta 14 and none in his last 8 wins

He's not as boring as Fitch but he's equally one-dimensional really. I like him, though.

Cerrone is overrated but at that particular point he was a contender because you know he got a title fight. If you get a title fight your a contender. The whole point of a gatekeeper means they aren't in the title picture and are guarding the gate. While yes Fitch didn't get a second shot title shot this was only because the then current champ had beaten him so severley. If you are number 2 for years on end you are not a gatekeeper. Was Joe B a gatekeeper when he couldn't get a title shot?

LW wins and losses is kinda different for historical reasons.

3 top 10 wins for Fitch in his career. 2 of them were Paulo Thiago and Diego Sanchez.

The big issue I would say is that there have been so few good wrestlers at HW for so many years.

Last edited:
Not a bad comparison. Professional gatekeepers too.

I think Fitch was a better grappler though.

Fitch is one the best wins in the career of the greatest WW of all-time. He was top 5 for so many years and actually fought for the tittle. That's NOT a gatekeeper.

Anybody who fights long enough will eventually be relegated to gatekeeper, journeyman or even can status but Fitch was definitely a legitimate contender in his time, not just a gatekeeper

Back