Blaydes is the fitch of heavyweight

It's definitely different in MMA than boxing. There are far fewer fights in MMA, higher turnover of champions, and matchmaking is done at the will of the organization with no set standards or guarantees like in boxing...

Gatekeeper is a term that is used, generally, to refer to fighters who beat the guys they are supposed to and compete at the highest level but never reach the peak themselves. They guard the gate to the title fight. A gatekeeper can be a contender in mma because of the way matchmaking is done. Many guys who didn't earn the number 1 contender spot end up fighting for the belt, skipping the gatekeepers, but in reality being at the talent level of a gatekeeper themselves--always near the top but never talented enough to earn the strap.

There are gatekeepers who can become circunstancially contenders due to favourable match making or just luck, like Coté or Hardy.
I'ts obviously not the case of Fitch, who remained as a legitimate contender for many years.

According to you, is there a single fighter in the 170-185lbs weight range during GSP/Silva reigns that deserve to be labelled as a contender of their time, instead of just gatekeeper?

Following your criteria, not a single fighter in 8 years was nothing but a gatekeeper in your eyes, besides GSP/Silva of course. It's cool, but that's not what gatekeeper refers to in boxing or in MMA doesnt matter how you spin it.

Hollywood did so many reboots, sherdog thinks every fighter is a reboot now

It is very hard and rare for even a very tall man to have the genetics to allow him to be 225lbs of lean body mass

A 250lber with 10% body fat which is basically what Gane is, would have 25lbs of fat, 37.5lbs of bones. Which is 187lbs of muscle left.

A Lesnar type might hit 220lbs of muscle the rest is fat and bones etc

It's not like we haven't seen guys in shape before. It's not for aesthetics for a bodybuilding competition, but being in shape to perform better. Mark Hunt performs well at his build. I think Blaydes would do better when leaner.

fitch was more elusive and stronger, but yes

There are gatekeepers who can become circunstancially contenders due to favourable match making or just luck, like Coté or Hardy.
I'ts obviously not the case of Fitch, who remained as a legitimate contender for many years.

According to you, is there a single fighter in the 170-185lbs weight range during GSP/Silva reigns that deserve to be labelled as a contender of their time, instead of just gatekeeper?

Following your criteria, not a single fighter in 8 years was nothing but a gatekeeper in your eyes, besides GSP/Silva of course. It's cool, but that's not what gatekeeper refers to in boxing or in MMA doesnt matter how you spin it.
I mean when you look at a guy's career as a whole and label it sure you can find times when it doesn't fit that label.
Fitch was a gatekeeper. Was he a contender at one point? Yes, he fought for the belt. Does that mean he wasn't a gatekeeper? No.
To the point though, Fitch hardly "earned" his title shot with the level of competition he faced. He had 2 top 10 wins. His fight before the title was against a guy debuting in the UFC who was a late replacement for another guy who was only in the top 10 because his ranking was artificially bumped up before the fight.
Yes he had the win streak but the real reason he got the title fight was because of who Alves beat, and MMAMath.

So to your point, was he a contender? Yes, because of matchmaking. He was also a gatekeeper because of matchmaking. It wasn't fitch's fault he only faced 1 contender before the title and it was only a lack of another worthy opponent for gsp that he got to it. I think Fitch was probably the second best guy in the division but he didn't get a chance to prove that. His role was relegated to gatekeeper. Should he have been a contender? Maybe... But a contender faces other contenders and gatekeepers. Fitch lost when he worked his way back to facing contenders (although he was robbed against bj).

Anyway... we clearly don't even agree on the definition of a gatekeeper so I don't really see where this discussion goes from here.

Last edited:
It's not like we haven't seen guys in shape before. It's not for aesthetics for a bodybuilding competition, but being in shape to perform better. Mark Hunt performs well at his build. I think Blaydes would do better when leaner.

Hunt would of been better without 60lbs of excess fat on him

I promise you. People on here have this delusion (because they like the idea of a similar fighter with titty fat like themselves being flabby and not needing to be lean)

All of you would do the same thing if you had his skillset. Keep hating on the guy for fighting to his strengths instead of standing and banging with guys who are better than him at standup.

I promise you. People on here have this delusion (because they like the idea of a similar fighter with titty fat like themselves being flabby and not needing to be lean)

He would've, it is a myth that samoans can't be in shape. But, he did well, had gas, fast hands.

I think Fitch legitimately was working toward a finish and just rarely ever got it. Blaydes I feel just coasts a lot of the time. He is very skilled, but he is perfectly fine with decision wins which is ultimately why people don't care for him. Myself included. He is a top 5 heavyweight currently but also top 5 fighters that will help you fall asleep.

I mean when you look at a guy's career as a whole and label it sure you can find times when it doesn't fit that label.
Fitch was a gatekeeper. Was he a contender at one point? Yes, he fought for the belt. Does that mean he wasn't a gatekeeper? No.
To the point though, Fitch hardly "earned" his title shot with the level of competition he faced. He had 2 top 10 wins. His fight before the title was against a guy debuting in the UFC who was a late replacement for another guy who was only in the top 10 because his ranking was artificially bumped up before the fight.
Yes he had the win streak but the real reason he got the title fight was because of who Alves beat, and MMAMath.

So to your point, was he a contender? Yes, because of matchmaking. He was also a gatekeeper because of matchmaking. It wasn't fitch's fault he only faced 1 contender before the title and it was only a lack of another worthy opponent for gsp that he got to it. I think Fitch was probably the second best guy in the division but he didn't get a chance to prove that. His role was relegated to gatekeeper. Should he have been a contender? Maybe... But a contender faces other contenders and gatekeepers. Fitch lost when he worked his way back to facing contenders (although he was robbed against bj).

Anyway... we clearly don't even agree on the definition of a gatekeeper so I don't really see where this discussion goes from here.

You didnt answer my question which would clarify your stance way more than that wall of text, mate.

Name the fighters in the 170-185lbs weight range during GSP/Silva reign that deserve to be labelled as contenders of their time, instead of just gatekeepers.

Maybe Blaydes should start ducking fights and talking shit like Colby and all the casuals will jump on his nuts.

You surely showcase ur 6 pack in the couch but we actually saw Anthony Ruiz knocking the tits off Anthony Joshua who has pretty lean pecs and abs even if not as neat as yours, playboy.

Not a bad comparison. Professional gatekeepers too.

I think Fitch was a better grappler though.
Fitch was nasty and does not get enough love. He was to grappling what the Diaz boys are (or more like 'were' now) to MMA boxing: cardio for days, constantly attacking, volume-volume-volume, super tough and demoralizes the opponent's wills.

With another win or so the UFC can sell a title fight between him and Gane. He could be Gane's first title defense.
That's the only type of match up we haven't seen from Gane. I get the feeling his TDD is really good though and Curtis would get picked apart for 5 rounds. It's gonna be tough for Curtis to move past his #4 ranking.

Dude had bad luck vs Lewis.

Curtis is better than people give him credit for.

If Blaydes was the fitch of heavyweights, he'd be champ right now.

Fitch is highly underrated on sherdog. Dude had a string of Kahbib like dominance.

His standup offense actually gets visibly better each fight. Then he panic wrestles or gets koed

You surely showcase ur 6 pack in the couch but we actually saw Anthony Ruiz knocking the tits off Anthony Joshua who has pretty lean pecs and abs even if not as neat as yours, playboy.

I am talking physiologically. All science points to it helping even more to be NOT fat or carrying excess fat,

It doesnt mean you cant be a great fighter with some fat on you, Fedor, Derrick Lewis, Cormier and Cain all proved this

I dont care for boxing and Andy lost his rematch and all elite boxers ever seem to not have been chubby.....

Back