Blackburn Crouch=dope

I'm not sure I understand the second part of your argument. Someone says "well, you don't have to worry about head kicks because you can just bring your hands over and block". I'm saying that's a terrible idea. Even if you can't evade every one, which is understandable, it should be your ultimate goal. I've personally seen people stopped
after a couple of blocked head
kicks. With a powerful kicker,
hands are going to offer up very
little protection.

I guess I don't understand much of
this thread. It doesn't even seem like a reasonable discussion at this
point. Everyone's gone all Payak
on each other.

Well the proper way to block hks in muay thai is the double fore arm block... Unless u got brittle bones I doubt they will break

I'm not brazen enough to tell anyone the "proper" way to do anything, because everyone has made everything work for them at some point, but head kicks should really be avoided rather than blocked with anything. At least that's the way that I've been taught to deal with head kicks from day one. In fact, a number of coaches have given me shit for blocking with my arms or my hands. I'm also telling you that I have personally seen guys stopped by head kicks that were "blocked"... I cornered one of them, unfortunately. As for broken bones, Frank Shamrock famously had his arm broken by kicks. And while it's better than getting kicked flush it the head, having your arms take that kind of punishment isn't a fantastic idea either since they provide a very important layer of defense.

I'm not brazen enough to tell anyone the "proper" way to do anything, because everyone has made everything work for them at some point, but head kicks should really be avoided rather than blocked with anything. At least that's the way that I've been taught to deal with head kicks from day one. In fact, a number of coaches have given me shit for blocking with my arms or my hands. I'm also telling you that I have personally seen guys stopped by head kicks that were "blocked"... I cornered one of them, unfortunately. As for broken bones, Frank Shamrock famously had his arm broken by kicks. And while it's better than getting kicked flush it the head, having your arms take that kind of punishment isn't a fantastic idea either since they provide a very important layer of defense.

Yeah, nakmuays usually drop their arms down while avoiding highkicks, to not get arms hurt. That's when they see the HK coming and they've time/balance to fade away. This is the best scenario and the best thing to do. Why would you stand there and absorb the hk?
But the HK that knock you out is the one that you don't see coming. Then, in the worst case scenario, having a rear hand up could make the difference between being hit hard and being brutally KOed.
That's one reason why EVERY top kickboxer/MT fighter keep their hands up more often and more higher than boxers.

Yeah, nakmuays usually drop their arms down while avoiding highkicks, to not get arms hurt. That's when they see the HK coming and they've time/balance to fade away. This is the best scenario and the best thing to do. Why would you stand there and absorb the hk?
But the HK that knock you out is the one that you don't see coming. Then, in the worst case scenario, having a rear hand up could make the difference between being hit hard and being brutally KOed.
That's one reason why EVERY top kickboxer/MT fighter keep their hands up more often and more higher than boxers.

What about in MMA though? At least kickboxers and MT fighter have their gloves to take some of the sting off.

What about in MMA though? At least kickboxers and MT fighter have their gloves to take some of the sting off.

Its with the forearms more than the hand itself, so it all comes down to conditioning them

Blocking is really the last resort before footwork and fading(which is harder than u think) but if you dont have....
it....

No argument there whatsoever. But, to clarify, I'm of the (strong) opinion that using your hands or your arms to block a head kick should never be your first option or your go-to defense. When I run class, we drill the head kick evade very often.

Another great reason to clear the arms while evading the high kick is so that you don't give anyone anything to bounce off of. They kick, it hits your hands or your arms, it hurts your hands or your arms, and they're able to easily reset. But if you clear the arms by tucking your head hand behind your thigh and bringing the rear hand up to your chin, you cause them to miss, obviously setting up far better countering options.

Its with the forearms more than the hand itself, so it all comes down to conditioning them

Blocking is really the last resort before footwork and fading(which is harder than u think) but if you dont have....
it....

I prefer assisted wing block because it is less of a direct bone on bone impact. Never successfully pulled it off though, unlike fade where i think i pull it off once :wink:

No argument there whatsoever. But, to clarify, I'm of the (strong) opinion that using your hands or your arms to block a head kick should never be your first option or your go-to defense. When I run class, we drill the head kick evade very often.

Another great reason to clear the arms while evading the high kick is so that you don't give anyone anything to bounce off of. They kick, it hits your hands or your arms, it hurts your hands or your arms, and they're able to easily reset. But if you clear the arms by tucking your head hand behind your thigh and bringing the rear hand up to your chin, you cause them to miss, obviously setting up far better countering options.

agreed.

i don't know, i'm not into mma... besides the tiny gloves, there's all the stuff about takedown defense...
however i think that a flush kick to the chin is almost always a KO, while an hand/forearm protection is not the best thing, but still better than nothing and could save you from a disaster if you didn't see the kick coming

Why can't you just... raise your hand to block? Why does it have to be up already? I don't get it.

Because that relies on reaction and I think you know how dangerous that can be.

Thats like asking "why do you have to stand in the classical stance when you can just be upright and block shit with your arms?"

You could do it but it can make things more difficult then it should be.

i think kicking might not be too much of a factor...if you and your foe are in orthodox stance his left leg is the one that will be tryin to kick the head..but most guy have weak lead leg head kick,please tell to me what you think

A friend of mine had this saying: If you ASSUME, you make an ASS out of U and ME.
Some people lead leg are devastating.

Because that relies on reaction and I think you know how dangerous that can be.

Thats like asking "why do you have to stand in the classical stance when you can just be upright and block shit with your arms?"

You could do it but it can make things more difficult then it should be.

That's not the same at all. It's actually more akin to me asking, "Why should I hold my hands at my cheeks when I can just move one to block a hook?" which is an equally valid question. A back-weighted stance helps give you room and time to react. I'd rather not negate my offense by feeling forced to always keep my hands in one place. If you eat a head kick then you fucked up. But you can't possibly design your whole stance and style around the likelihood of one thing hitting you when you don't see it, especially if it the single most telegraphed technique your opponent can throw.

i been playing around with this stance for a year now ,it is comfortable ,i feel safe from alot strikes and your rear hand is pre-loaded for power with your weight being over the rear hip...like it and am not too worried for the head kick ,thank you all for your input!!!

Back