"Black Lives Matter" Activist undergoes use of force scenarios with police

No big balls here. We agree that they're not going not to stop someone who is determined to kill a cop. My main concern is the situations where the cops kill an innocent person or a situation ends up chaotic with someone who decides on the spur of the moment to start shooting. In both of those, some protection against small arms fire, and increased peace of mind for the police officer, would probably reduce the likelihood of a fatal mistake.

I'm not denying that cops make mistakes or bad calls. But nobody(legally) just starts shooting on a whim. It's not a spur of the moment kind of thing. It's not like, I'm scared, so BLAM BLAM BLAM.

As you said, body armor is not going to stop someone who is determined to kill a cop. And my point is that a cop is only going to shoot you if he thinks you're about to kill him(and has a list of very specific reasons why he thinks that).

Wearing a vest is like wearing a seatbelt. I drive my car the same speed whether I wear a seat belt or not, so a cop is going to his job the same way whether he has a vest on or not.

Wearing a seatbelt doesn't mean I'm willing to take more risks on the road. Same thing with a vest.

Last edited:
Regarding the choke argument. I think chokes are against nypd policy, so he could be fired for using the choke but a choke is not deadly force. Some departments train on them and allow them as a response to a resisting arrestee.

The medical examiner ( if I read the right report) gave a very odd synopsis of the cause of death by saying garner died due to compression of the neck but that there was no damage to the neck. It's so hard to say that the choke killed him considering that he never went out from it and was talking after.
But this shit's been regurgitated a million times and it's a standard fallback for the anti police crowd when something like the video in this thread comes out.

Regarding the choke argument. I think chokes are against nypd policy, so he could be fired for using the choke but a choke is not deadly force. Some departments train on them and allow them as a response to a resisting arrestee.

The medical examiner ( if I read the right report) gave a very odd synopsis of the cause of death by saying garner died due to compression of the neck but that there was no damage to the neck. It's so hard to say that the choke killed him considering that he never went out from it and was talking after.
But this shit's been regurgitated a million times and it's a standard fallback for the anti police crowd when something like the video in this thread comes out.

Right. Any BJJ student or backyard wrestler knows that a 6 second choke does not lead to death by asphyxiation unless you damage the trachea, which did not occur here. Which is why I was so confused by the medical examiner's report.

I can't tell you how many times someone has caught me in an incorrect guillotine, put his forearm bone against my trachea and cranked that baby as hard as he could.

I can tell you that it freaking hurt. But it didn't inhibit my ability to breathe.

how did he die, I heard the coroner ruled it murder and a separate report said he died from heart failure in the ambulance?

I'm not denying that cops make mistakes or bad calls. But nobody(legally) just starts shooting on a whim.
Of course they do. That type of thing happens so often it has its own legal category. Voluntary Manslaughter.

Unless you're saying that the cops don't start shooting on a whim? I agree with that, but I think the level of safety they feel contributes to how likely they are to have an adrenaline or panic-based overreaction to a situation that isn't threatening...where I think safety measures might help. See below.

As you said, body armor is not going to stop someone who is determined to kill a cop. And my point is that a cop is only going to shoot you if he thinks you're about to kill him(and has a list of very specific reasons why he thinks that).

Wearing a vest is like wearing a seatbelt. I drive my car the same speed whether I wear a seat belt or not, so a cop is going to his job the same way whether he has a vest on or not.

Wearing a seatbelt doesn't mean I'm willing to take more risks on the road. Same thing with a vest.
Studies have been done suggesting that safety measures in cars certainly do effect how people drive. For example...

http://articles.southbendtribune.co...07_1_anti-lock-brakes-air-bags-fred-mannering

how did he die, I heard the coroner ruled it murder and a separate report said he died from heart failure in the ambulance?

The coroner did not rule it a murder; only the grand jury has that power. The coroner can only determine which of the 4 categories the death falls under: natural causes, suicide, homicide, or accidental. The officer didn't exactly trip and fall and land on Eric garner while dancing in the street, so it's definitely not an accident. Also, garner didn't die peacefully in his sleep so it wasn't natural; and he didn't kill himself so it wasn't suicide. That only leaves homicide, but that does not at all suggest that it was murder.

As far as what he died of, I'm not sure either. They said his heart stopped in the ambulance but I'm unclear as to whether that's a cause of death, or just an effect lol. Everything I read said "compression of the neck and chest, with contributing factors of asthma and heart disease" as the cause of death. I only assume that led to asphyxiation, but I never read that word anywhere.

Last edited:
Back