"Black Lives Matter" Activist undergoes use of force scenarios with police

I have to take issue with your assertion that the suspect was 5-10 feet away when the activist shot him. If you watch the video again, you'll see that the suspect's chest was literally almost touching the barrel of the gun.

A trained shooter knows that a person standing that close can grab the gun and move it to the side faster than the shooter can register that in his mind and pull the trigger. If someone is in grabbing distance, you need to shoot or create more distance somehow.

This, he actually waited too late and if the guy wanted to he could have gotten to the weapon most likely.

I'll have to watch it again, but my initial thinking was that the guy was 5-10' when the guy started shooting.

Ok, well that settles it. We are all going to pack it up and stop demonstrations.

This is a pathetic and staged attempt to discredit protestors.

staged? teh fuck?

Jarret Maupin is a well known civil right leader and politician in phoenix area.

put down your tinfoil hat, bro.

To bad more people can't go through this scenario to see the split second decision that needs to be made.

staged? teh fuck?

Jarret Maupin is a well known civil right leader and politician in phoenix area.

put down your tinfoil hat, bro.

Ignore that troll. This guy went into this exercise with EVERY intention of being able to say "see, I was easily able to resolve those problems without using force" and he wasn't able to. And he even had a change of heart. Staged my ass.

That's great stuff. I give the reverend credit for being willing to do that and to change his opinion when presented with the facts. You know that Al Sharpton would never have the balls to do that. It's easy to criticize cops from your ivory tower. I'm not the most pro-police person in the world, but I recognize how hard their job is, the split second decisions they have to make, the adrenaline rushes, etc. We should try to unlearn our preconceived notions about these things and take them on a case-by-case basis. I think most people, cops or otherwise, would have shot Mike Brown when that 6'4", 300 lb man was coming at them hard. Not saying all police shootings or police brutality cases are like that, but a lot of them are.

Ok, well that settles it. We are all going to pack it up and stop demonstrations.

This is a pathetic and staged attempt to discredit protestors.
I disagree. These are the type of situations that officers are trained to handle in the academy and which they sometimes encounter on the streets after they graduate. It was an excellent exercise in being able to look at things from the other side, and it would be nice if more people would be willing to experience this. Not all protesters are the same anyway. My dad protested against the Garner case, but he has a different opinion on the Brown case because the circumstances were different. Rational people can take things on a case-by-case basis without being knee jerk pro- or anti-cop on all cases.

TS, thanks for posting.

Too bad we don't see more of these types of exercises on the national news.

Get more of these outspoken public leaders and put them through this and see how they react.

I disagree. These are the type of situations that officers are trained to handle in the academy and which they sometimes encounter on the streets after they graduate. It was an excellent exercise in being able to look at things from the other side, and it would be nice if more people would be willing to experience this. Not all protesters are the same anyway. My dad protested against the Garner case, but he has a different opinion on the Brown case because the circumstances were different. Rational people can take things on a case-by-case basis without being knee jerk pro- or anti-cop on all cases.

Well, for starters, you are not addressing a rational person.

As for the OP, I think it is a great idea for both sides to try and see things from the other viewpoint. I have actively encouraged some cop haters to take part in our citizen's police academy, but no one has taken that challenge yet. I guess they would rather be educated on youtube videos and stupid slogans based on misinformation.

"i didn't understand the importance of compliance"

what a fucking retard. i'm sure he's not the only one who doesn't understand either. but according to what the activist was saying before this if he was a cop he should a)be dead already from the first scenario and b) lose his job or be put in jail from the second.

and i love the fact that he shot the unarmed guy charging him. since that is something people bitch about all the time "but he wasn't armed, there is no need to shoot"

also if you watch at 1:30 of the second video in the OP. you'll see a clip from the scenario where the guy gets the guy on the ground without killing him. and you'll see the guy just sees the "burglar" walking with a jacket or something and immediately pulls a gun on him without even approaching him.

maybe that is a better option for the people who think being a cop is easy? cop sees you and you have a gun on you and you're face down trying to explain you bought the jacket legally?

Last edited:
comment from the article
"Cops need to stop being so quick to draw, and furthermore white people need to stop being so damn scared"

you literally can't make some people happy. some people are too entrenched in self pity.

Black people are right to be scared of cops because cops commit violence against them.

However, whites shouldn't be scared of blacks, even though blacks commit more violence against them (whites) as police do blacks.

Liberal logic.

The activist said something along the lines of these things all happen in 10-15 seconds.

the 1st scenario the activist was shot even though he had his hand on the gun the whole time. The 2nd scenario the activist shot an unarmed suspect that was walking toward him and yelling - when asked why he shot him he says "the guy (suspect) was in that zone" this is while he was 5-10 feet away.

And if you had to name that zone it would be called?

And if you had to name that zone it would be called?

dd1mf.jpg

I think the first scenario is pretty unrealistic - some guy is casing cars and stashes a gun behind a car and then comes out firing? I think that one is set up to "kill" the cop so then the trainee is trigger happy in the next scenario so he "shoots" the unarmed man approaching him aggressively.
I agree with this.

You can absolutely set-up scenarios where cops get killed without any recourse, AND where they kill innocent people. The same is true of non-cops too. If someone has a modicum of intelligence and really wants to shoot you, you're going to get shot.

Having said that, I think the Michael Brown shooting was Brown's own fault since he apparently did physically attack an officer, for the same reasons.

However, there are other scenarios where police have physical control of someone, the person is restrained or has been patted down, and the cops use excessive force on them due to either adrenaline or machismo. This is what happened to Eric Garner. Strangleholds are banned in arresting procedures for exactly that reason. The officer is full of adrenaline and has no idea if he should let go or not. That incident was the fault of the arresting officer.

Similarly, if you're NOT an officer at all, you need to be aware of your own behavior and whether it's threatening someone else. This is what happened in the Trayvon Martin situation. The profiling in that case, and the "thug-based" character assassination that followed, is where the "race divide" creeps in.

Having said that, I like to know when the police kill unarmed people of all colors, to be able to follow how many incidents there are and really weight how much race seems to effect it (for example, if Trayvon Martin and Eric Garner had been doing the same things and were white girls, I doubt they'd be dead). Likewise, I'd like to see how many police are actually abruptly murdered by people in the manner they show in the "training scenario," such as what happened to the two New York cops, in order to see how likely that occurs also. Those would be important to know for both the public and the cops when deciding whether to use weapons in a situation, and what weapons to use.

Back