BJORN: Rampage won't be pressured to fight Newton

Ha,

Eddie can still fight Chandler

Page doesn't have to fight Newton

What's the reasoning in this promotion when it comes to the title picture?

Bjorn knows if he made Rampage take the fight then Page would do the same thing that he did in the UFC, which is start whining about being treated unfairly and how he wants to go fight somewhere else where he is respected.

Bjorn is riding that dick so hard rn. It's embarrassing.

... I'm going to talk to him about it, but I'm not going to disrespect a guy who's been nothing but standup with us. He's rocked and rolled as a promoter for us, so I'm not going to say we're making this fight and plant this flag in the sand.

He's a world-class athlete, so you can pick and choose and move around fights and do pseudo-superfights, or you can look to recapture a world title on a stage where there's a lot of good fighters
1373.gif

Bjorn is Rampages bitch... but hell he can't make him fight. The problem is Rampage said they knew he wouldn't fight Newton beforehand so why did they bother with the tournament at all.

So, what is the fucking point of doing these tournaments, Bjorn?

If Bellator wanna get serious and major league, they need to scrap these tournaments as they no longer mean a fucking thing. Nobody is fooled anymore, Bellator - or rather Viacom - pick and choose what fights they make regardless of who wins a tournament or who is waiting in line having won a tournament.

Bjorn knows if he made Rampage take the fight then Page would do the same thing that he did in the UFC, which is start whining about being treated unfairly and how he wants to go fight somewhere else where he is respected.

THIS.

Also, this is the most relevant Rampage has been since he KO'd Liddell for the UFC title. If Newton decisions him, which he probably would, it's back to square one and Bjorn would have to go digging for the Joey Beltran's of the sport to make him 'relevant' again.

I kind of don't think any of this is a big deal.

They put rampage in the tournament because I'm sure it increased their ratings. No big secret there.

Not a big surprise he doesn't want to fight a teammate either. That's a fairly common decision in MMA.

Can always do Tito/Newton and Mo/Page 2. Put those two fights plus Alvarez/whoever on a card and Bellator can do another ppv if this last one was worth the expense of putting on.

Would I prefer to see page/newton ? Yes, but... It's really not all that compelling so whatever.

If they do Tito/Newton and Mo/Page II, they may as well just scrap the tournament format altogether since one of their most high profile tournaments to date (arguably their most high profile) ended up being meaningless.

Since becoming a Bellator Tournament winner, Rampage has made it clear the idea of fighting E. Newton did not particularly tickle his fancy.

Now, Bjorn Rebney has confirmed the season 10 Light-Heavyweight Tournament Winner is not going to be pressured to fight the reigning and defending Bellator Light-Heavyweight Champion.

Bjorn-Loves-Rampage.png

Screen_Shot_2014_05_20_at_11_12_36_AM.png

SAUCE

Let him fight the Tito, then the winner of the HW title fight

If they do Tito/Newton and Mo/Page II, they may as well just scrap the tournament format altogether since one of their most high profile tournaments to date (arguably their most high profile) ended up being meaningless.

That's exactly what they should do.

I think that's just an unavoidable problem with using the tournament format in combat sports. Unlike a team, where players get injured but the team goes on to compete in the next round, when a fighter is injured it screws everything up.

And in MMA injuries happen all the time.

Add that to the fact that Bellator pretty much needs to promote any names they have to grow their audience base, and the whole torun man format gets a little mushy.

Still makes for entertaining fight nights on Spike.

LOL Bellator going against everything they built their brand on.

I think that's just an unavoidable problem with using the tournament format in combat sports. Unlike a team, where players get injured but the team goes on to compete in the next round, when a fighter is injured it screws everything up.

And in MMA injuries happen all the time.

Add that to the fact that Bellator pretty much needs to promote any names they have to grow their audience base, and the whole torun man format gets a little mushy.

Still makes for entertaining fight nights on Spike.

This current debacle has nothing to do with injuries.

Bjorn is Rampages bitch... but hell he can't make him fight. The problem is Rampage said they knew he wouldn't fight Newton beforehand so why did they bother with the tournament at all.

Thats what I dont get, why didnt they just do Mo/page reg fight? Why even risk them in a tournament and have one of them lose?

I thought the whole point was to get the winner a legit title shot?

This isnt Bjorn this is Rampage, Bjorn and Bellator know Rampage is their biggest star and getting the belt on him is what they need but Bjorn is Rampage's bitch and he cant piss him off.

Now Bellator needs someone to beat Newton and then Rampage gets that shot.

They should just give Tito the shot, say he beat the MW champ easily, Rampage doesnt want to fight, lets do Page/Mo rematch and give Tito the title shot. If Bellator is lucky Tito will win that fight and then Tito/Page can be for the title.

Just do away with the tournament only format, it all holds them back. You have a guy who is next and won a tournament but wont fight the champ, in another org the next guy would just step in but Bellator has no next guy cause they have to wait for the tournament thats about to start in June to finish.

It just holds them back, either too many guys are promised shots and are sitting out or they dont have anyone waiting.

This current debacle has nothing to do with injuries.

I entirely agree.

I'm just pointing out that even in the best of times tournament formats are problematic.

Bellator's acquiring of former UFC talent for the purposes of drawing power pretty throws it all out the window.

But I think they're in a hard spot. They need to do something to grow their viewer base. So they're making compromises.

But on a general basis we still have a fairly entertaining tournament format, even I'd the final results aren't what they should be.

Man, why does everyone keep mentioning Rampage/Mo 2? Did that fight really scream rematch to anyone?

Back