BJJ's standup?

serima

Green Belt
Reaction score
How much standup are you training in your BJJ gym? I have to start train some judo becouse our BJJ gym teaching so litle stanup, not even evry weak. How much stand up trainig you have in your BJJ gym's?

i may be the exception, but my first instructor was also a judo blackbelt so we did standup stuff everyday. we also do some standup drilling everyday at renzo's and randori from the feet a couple times a week.

colinm said:
i may be the exception, but my first instructor was also a judo blackbelt so we did standup stuff everyday. we also do some standup drilling everyday at renzo's and randori from the feet a couple times a week.
Sounds nice, I wich I had a instructor like you

IMO standup is werry importent in BJJ mach and in self defense. It's a lot easyer to start to grabel from a top position

I train belt below colinm and the blue belt class does take downs and take down drills, but no randori. but the point is, it is essential to learn how to take someone down if you are to be a good bjj player

infamous mattyd said:
I train belt below colinm and the blue belt class does take downs and take down drills, but no randori. but the point is, it is essential to learn how to take someone down if you are to be a good bjj player
i agree

why give up the first two points of each match when you get taken down? BJJ is ground fighting, but you need to get to the ground first

infamous mattyd said:
why give up the first two points of each match when you get taken down? BJJ is ground fighting, but you need to get to the ground first
thats the problem!

i also despise guard pullers....i hear a lot of bs about how its "too hard to throw bigger/stronger people"....its just a matter of developing your technique, like you do on the ground. there are also plenty of duckunders, armdrags, low singles and the like that let you totally avoid the sprawl of a bigger guy - which can be devestating if he's got a lot of poundage on you. also, no one seems to have any contingency plans for the sprawl in bjj comps - i see a lot of shoot, sprawl, give up and sit back to guard.....anyone heard of a sit-through?

i also take the initiative to learn takedowns outside of class and advocate that for all bjjers. im fortunate to have friends who wrestled all through elementary, middle, and high school and many in college (also 1 2-time nj state champ at 145 and 152) and they're taught me some priceless shit. also, realize that most standout highschool wrestlers in good wrestling states/teams know much more than your bjj instructor about takedowns, unless he is an exception.

If you have a good standup technic you can easly takedown much bigger oponent

Yea I relalize there are times when you shoudl pull gaurd but I also hate how so many people arent willing to fight for a takedown in Sport BJJ.

I do Judo for takedowns. I train with a champion wrestler and we trade off tactics and such. Takedowns come.

I'm not amazing at takedowns yet, as well I'm relatively small (5'2, 135 pounds) so I tend to pull guard a lot. But I do agree, once you're good at it, you can throw larger people.

my brother beat a former european champion once im not sure what his name is but i'll ask him

mmahamzah said:
my brother beat a former european champion once im not sure what his name is but i'll ask him
Interesting, but I don't understand the relevance of it. Whats the point?

at the bjj school i used to go to we didnt train much in takedowns either.

We train some standup, but I kinda wish we'd train even less. BJJ standup/takedowns are generally so bad compared to Judo/wrestling/mt/boxing. I'd much rather train that stuff 100% with someone who really knows how to do it than try to pick it up at the primitive level BJJ usually teaches. God forbid somebody try to use strikes they learned in a BJJ class. Takedowns are better at least, but still ....

I wish my school taught Judo or wrestling as well, I'd love to try that.

we train barely any stand up. so ive just commited to training with one of our wrestlers 10 mins every day after class. has been pretty helpful. i mean im no matt hughes but at least i can perform a decent double and single.

Back