bjj vs wrestling?

Is it wrestling or catch? I'm doing mma since a couples of years now and i lately added catch wrestling and it help me for td and for passing guard!

Some moves in catch wrestling seems to be made to counter bjj. anyway after 2 years of bjj + boxing, i'm pretty happy with my catch class

The mma dudes wich i train with already saw the differences in my style and the little things that i have added to my arsenal. When you're not used to see some moves or set-up, then you get screwed. The easiest sub you can pull out is the one that your oponent cant see comming...;-)

Anyway, open your mind my friend, some peoples here seems to like bash other 'style', please, the more you know, the better you will be.

You know- the more I learn about different forms of grappling the more forms of grappling I want to take... Judo, Catch, Wrestling, Greco... they all look... so fucking cool...:icon_chee Too bad I don't have the time or a decent enough base in one (BJJ) to think about adding others in yet :rolleyes:

Which brings me to the point: Why would you NOT want to add in extra skills if you can?

I don't take BJJ. I wrestle and practice catch. To become a dominant grappler/fighter you NEED to study wrestling as your base.
From that, ALL other grappling arts come much easier.
You will see. Take the wrestling class for maybe 2 months and you will feel the change. Transitions come much easier, leverage and opponent control will become superior and a little wrestler strength never hurts either.
Plus chicks dig the suplex

LOL @ This guy? What's a matter... someone pull guard and armbar your ass?

Catch Wrestling V. freestyle V. scholastic wrestling are very different. One thing about Catch, unlike freestyle and scholastic or even greco, submissions are part of the game! Catch has borrowed techniques from Judo, various folk styles, and all the world dirty secret wrestling moves.

Wrestling over all is not bad, learn about conditioning, positioning-My Judo instructor is a former Greco-Roman wrestler and has placed on an AAU competition. Of course BJJ teaches you how to work from your back, but BJJ looks like Catch wrestling with a gi and a gameplan to use your back. In catch, just like Judo, grappling from a dominant position is more important- sidecontrol and working a submission from side control is important, but there are few if rare exceptions to working from your back in judo..i.e. applying triangles.

So in MMA, you can use all your bag of tricks. In the various forms of competitions that I have mentioned, except catch and BJJ, your are limited by rules. No submissions in freestyle, scholastic, or greco-roman. Limited ground time in Judo and Sambo( an offset of Judo which is another discussion.

Just for brevity sake, all these techniques wont confuse you you but teach you how to adapt in a dynamic situation like MMA.

You know- the more I learn about different forms of grappling the more forms of grappling I want to take... Judo, Catch, Wrestling, Greco... they all look... so fucking cool...:icon_chee Too bad I don't have the time or a decent enough base in one (BJJ) to think about adding others in yet :rolleyes:

Which brings me to the point: Why would you NOT want to add in extra skills if you can?

Same here, I am now starting to dabble in Judo because of my BJJ. The more I do, the more I like it all. Wrestling included. I rolled with a wrestler tonight and damn those guys can scramble. FAST.

am i right in thinking wresting mostly consists of throws and pins?

Nope you are not, watch some of the NCAA's and you will see at high level most people win by points rather than pins, unless they are just savage.
And it's not just throws, there are alot of different techniques to wrestling other than 'throws'

By the way. The only thing you will get from this wrestling class is takedowns. Possibly.

You wont gain any good control, strength or etc.

This isnt a highschool/college wrestling team. Its ONE class per week. They wont run it at the intensity of a highschool sport. I doubt you will develop the same type of skills.

Still, the takedowns will help you.

Good Point
Being that it's only one class per week the wrestling class will only compliment your bjj with takedowns/takedown defense

Catch Wrestling V. freestyle V. scholastic wrestling are very different. One thing about Catch, unlike freestyle and scholastic or even greco, submissions are part of the game! Catch has borrowed techniques from Judo, various folk styles, and all the world dirty secret wrestling moves.

Wrestling over all is not bad, learn about conditioning, positioning-My Judo instructor is a former Greco-Roman wrestler and has placed on an AAU competition. Of course BJJ teaches you how to work from your back, but BJJ looks like Catch wrestling with a gi and a gameplan to use your back. In catch, just like Judo, grappling from a dominant position is more important- sidecontrol and working a submission from side control is important, but there are few if rare exceptions to working from your back in judo..i.e. applying triangles.

So in MMA, you can use all your bag of tricks. In the various forms of competitions that I have mentioned, except catch and BJJ, your are limited by rules. No submissions in freestyle, scholastic, or greco-roman. Limited ground time in Judo and Sambo( an offset of Judo which is another discussion.

Just for brevity sake, all these techniques wont confuse you you but teach you how to adapt in a dynamic situation like MMA.

thats the sort of answer i was looking for thanks.
i live in london so you cant really find a catch class as its not really tought in the uk that i know of :icon_cry2 but i can probably find most types of martial .the class i was thinking about taking is a mix of free style and roman greco.

do you think it would be better to take a judo class? my thinking was it would be better to go for the wrestling class to compliment my mma training as judo is so heavly dependent on the gi but in the other hand if i can find a newaza class then i will have the advantage of extra submission work. im really looking for a system to help bring up the weak area's of my mma training ( mostly mt and bjj)

thats the sort of answer i was looking for thanks.
i live in london so you cant really find a catch class as its not really tought in the uk that i know of :icon_cry2 but i can probably find most types of martial .the class i was thinking about taking is a mix of free style and roman greco.

do you think it would be better to take a judo class? my thinking was it would be better to go for the wrestling class to compliment my mma training as judo is so heavly dependent on the gi but in the other hand if i can find a newaza class then i will have the advantage of extra submission work. im really looking for a system to help bring up the weak area's of my mma training ( mostly mt and bjj)

Check out this guy dynamo smbo, they are in glasglow but links to place outi n Devon England, dont know how far are from there. But this guy has a BJJ, Sambo, Judo, and greco roman wrestling background.

http://dynamosambo.co.uk/

Man I love BJJ guys. They are so in love with themselves. lol.
Now, I'm not talking about the BJJs that actually get outta the dojo and compete in no gi tourneys.
I'm talking about the guys who never leave the dojo and only roll with other BJJ guys that never leave the dojo.
Those are the guys that talk the most trash. It makes me laugh.
Will somebody that grapples "no gi" and studies BJJ please give me your take when taking on a wrestler. Or if you are a wrestler and have taken up the art of BJJ please tell me how your wrestling helps.

Now, I'm not talking about the BJJs that actually get outta the dojo and compete in no gi tourneys.
I'm talking about the guys who never leave the dojo and only roll with other BJJ guys that never leave the dojo.
Will somebody that grapples "no gi" and studies BJJ please give me your take when taking on a wrestler. Or if you are a wrestler and have taken up the art of BJJ please tell me how your wrestling helps.

Give us an example of a bjjer that talks trash or even disrespects wrestling in the slightest. Just 1 even please.:)

I have wrestled, do bjj with a gi, and do bjj without a gi, and I've been to competitions. however, right now I don't go to competitions because of school and so I don't leave my "dojo". As for people in love with themselves, growing up in a state that is known for wrestling I will say that I have ran into more egotistical wrestlers then I have ran into people with just a bjj base that are egotistical. Having said that I will now answer your question, although I think you need to frame things a bit better in the future as to not come off as a jerk.

Against a wrestler with a good base my main focus is to take away what they are comfortable with. Form the feet don't let them get into their rhythm and get it to the ground as quick as you can. I then look to keep them from their control, usually by being aggressive underneath and forcing them to react instead of attack. My main goal is to end up on top where wrestlers are the least comfortable and still make them react instead of being allowed to dictate.

As for my wrestling. You can see my biggest asset not on my feet, but on my overall balance. My body control from wrestling and not overextending myself at any point is something that just comes with experience and helps my game out a lot. Secondly, I'm used to moving on the ground which allows me to not have to rely on just pinning. Yes I can control someone on the ground and keep them from moving by using my weight and strength, but to me that isn't Jiujitsu so I avoid it unless I'm out of shape and want a break. Of course you can see my wrestling in my takedowns, but that can be both good and bad, b/c I can leave myself open for submission on the feet b/c I still don't think as much about them as I should. Also I notice that myself and others wrestlers need to focus more on protecting our limbs and throat at first b/c we aren't used to them being targets.

I think most people know this, but I wrestled folkstyle for 16 years, while greco and freestyle for 10 years, so I'm not completely talking out of my ass here.

The ground game between the two have given me bad habits when alternating between them (i.e. giving up back in BJJ or almost pulling guard in wrestling).

Do it. It will really help your BJJ Game alot

I did it as A suggestion from my BJJ Teacher when they where teaching it in the training center

Best thing I could ever do for my Jits....

Take advantage of learning any proven grappling style you can.

And in some cases I would even venture to say grappling arts that aren't totally proven (I.E. Aikido, etc) if you can get instruction for free or cheaply.

The ground game between the two have given me bad habits when alternating between them (i.e. giving up back in BJJ or almost pulling guard in wrestling).
In my opinion a true grappler should be able to transition from rule set to rule set.

So you give up your back in BJJ? Work turtle guard.

So you pull guard in wrestling? (Hoping butterfly) Work a sweep quickly.

I will say this, Judo totally wrecked my takedown game for folkstyle wrestling. But is one of the situations which helped shaped my current ideals of what a grappler should be.

I wrestled long ago, have done no-gi for 2 years, and just recently started taking a wrestling class at a university (PE). Here's what I notice going back:

Takedowns are in a different league. I've never been taken down in no-gi competition (well, 4 tournaments), but the college wrestlers school me. But less than they did a few weeks ago. Every time I do takedowns, I remember more of what I once knew, and even the beginners in the class have progressed a lot. It will help.

Pace is totally different. Call it spazzing if you like, but a wrestler will make you work a lot harder than your average BJJ guy in class. I have a decent top game in BJJ, but I have to work to hold college wrestlers down, even from a dominant position. They don't rest.

In fact, pace is the biggest difference I've noted between class rolls and competition; wrestling will get you used to a faster pace that you may need in the latter (or MMA competition).

Back