bjj vs wrestling?

toxo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
NO THIS ISNT A STUPID QUESTION ABOUT WHICH ON IS BETTER im currently training in a mma class which is mt and bjj 4x a week but there is a wrestling class that im interested in taking, so my question is, is it worthy taking the extra wrestling class or will i not learn anything that i wouldnt know from the bjj? how similar are the style?

Yes. Take it. Takedowns are important. Dont be a douche pulling guard. Learn all aspects of the game.

Take the wrestling class for sure. It will compliment your jiu jitsu perfectly. Not just the takedowns..

wrestling will absolutely help your ground game as well as your takedowns. It will strenghten your base making you harder to sweep which will keep you in positions to strike effectively on the ground.

I don't take BJJ. I wrestle and practice catch. To become a dominant grappler/fighter you NEED to study wrestling as your base.
From that, ALL other grappling arts come much easier.
You will see. Take the wrestling class for maybe 2 months and you will feel the change. Transitions come much easier, leverage and opponent control will become superior and a little wrestler strength never hurts either.
Plus chicks dig the suplex

I don't take BJJ. I wrestle and practice catch. To become a dominant grappler/fighter you NEED to study wrestling as your base.
You will see. Take the wrestling class for maybe 2 months and you will feel the change. Transitions come much easier, leverage and opponent control will become superior and a little wrestler strength never hurts either.

I'd also recommend the Degerberg blend.

ridiculous.

I don't take BJJ. I wrestle and practice catch. To become a dominant grappler/fighter you NEED to study wrestling as your base.From that, ALL other grappling arts come much easier.

ridiculous

am i right in thinking wresting mostly consists of throws and pins?

am i right in thinking wresting mostly consists of throws and pins?
That a huge oversimplification.
Pins are the eventual goal in most forms of wrestling, but there is all sorts of ways to score points depending on the particular format.

Why?
Brazillian Top Team thought it was important enough to hire Darrel Gholar.

a few things make that statement ridiculous

MANY (most) of the top grapplers in the world do not have a wrestling base. therefore, you do not NEED to have a wrestling base to become a dominant grappler.

The fact that BTT hired a wrestling coach does not give them a wrestling base. A base is a platform from which you build a skill set. so adding a wrestling coach simply means they thought it would be nice to add wrestling as an aspect.

wrestling gives you good takedowns and is definately a good base to start with, but you most certainly do not need it to become a good dominant grappler.

take downs and avoiding your back are note worthy skills.

I do bjj and when i get lazy i enjoy fighting from my back..

Do the wrestling - it cant hurt, and its something different.

The wrestling takedowns are a great addition to any grappling game.

LOL. I swear, I don't believe that Nog has done anything but bjj and boxing. He's been p4p for 6 years and UFC champ.

By the way. The only thing you will get from this wrestling class is takedowns. Possibly.

You wont gain any good control, strength or etc.

This isnt a highschool/college wrestling team. Its ONE class per week. They wont run it at the intensity of a highschool sport. I doubt you will develop the same type of skills.

Still, the takedowns will help you.

Why?
Brazillian Top Team thought it was important enough to hire Darrel Gholar.

Yea but pretty much everyone at BTT is based in Jiu Jitsu not wrestling. It would be different if BTT was founded by wrestlers, then your argument would make sense.

Back