BJJ vs. Sambo

DarkDan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
what do you guys think I should take? I know BJJ is classic MMA but Sambo seems to have better takedowns, leglocks and throws.

Come on, everyone knows Sambo >>> BJJ. that's why Zinoviev schooled Sperry, why Fedor beats Nog, and why Nog had trouble with Kopylov who was ready to have a heart attack in his physical condition at that point. Get with the times, dogg.

i guess my reasoning would be lack of sambo schools compared to bjj where i live

not that i think either is superior to the other

im sure there has been sambo guys who have lost to bjj fighters aswell

ChUtEBoXWaNnAbE said:
i guess my reasoning would be lack of sambo schools compared to bjj where i live

not that i think either is superior to the other

im sure there has been sambo guys who have lost to bjj fighters aswell
Unless u live in russia or a big city, you wont find very much Sambo schools. I for one would like to learn it instead of BJJ, but BJJ is tought everywhere!

mysexisartsy said:
Come on, everyone knows Sambo >>> BJJ. that's why Zinoviev schooled Sperry, why Fedor beats Nog, and why Nog had trouble with Kopylov who was ready to have a heart attack in his physical condition at that point. Get with the times, dogg.

I think the reason Fedor beats nog is bc of brutal GNP and better wrestling, not bc Sambo is better than BJJ.

Depends of the purpose with the training.
If the goal is to fight in MMA i'd pick BJJ.
If the goal is self defence i'd pick sambo.
If the goal is to have fun while getting in shape i'd pick either one.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to crosstrain both. Both are pretty viable so its up to whether you like leglocks or armbars.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how about sub wrestling as an alternative? A school near me offers a BJJ/sub wrestling combination course. How does that sound?

No Gi sup-wrestling is the best you can get. It combines the ground control of BJJ with the leglocks of sambo and has a focus more on wrestling or greco takedowns. You might not be as good at the guard and Gi stuff as BJJers but your takedowns and Leglocks will be better.

Can anyone recommend a good leg lock DVD? I actually train only BJJ but love leg locks and they come natural to me so I want to learn as many as possible. Any suggestions??

mysexisartsy said:

It doesn't matter. There's inevitable crossover between both styles. I personally like BJJ's open attitude toward other styles. I'm learning BJJ right now but we have a little Erik Paulson influence...shootfighting....and my leg locks are great....in fact even better than my armbar (a BJJ basic). It all depends on the instructor. If he's open to many other techniques and he's not hung up on just teaching straight BJJ then you're good.

It all depends on you too....if you suck....well hey...you can't blame either art for that. if you're good...well you'll seek out new techniques on your own and learn to supplement your training.

You're talking about world class fighters....I can probabaly school some sambo guys and some sambo guys school me......you just have to think it's all grappling in the end....enough with this style vs style crap

DarkDan said:
what do you guys think I should take? I know BJJ is classic MMA but Sambo seems to have better takedowns, leglocks and throws.

Takedowns - Wrestling

Throws - Judo

Leg locks - Sambo, shootfighting, Catch

But......

Position > submission - BJJ

Arm locks - BJJ, Catch

Chokes - BJJ

Neck cranks - Catch

Open to new techniques - I'd say BJJ but not at the tourneys

So which one should you learn?? ALL OF THEM!!!!!

Join either, or, both. Get videos later after you learn some basics.

I've done sub tourneys where wrestlers get guillotined from shooting for a takedown, judo/BJJ guys get ankle locked, BJJ guys lose on points from a takedown/throw, Sambo guys get armbarred, Catch wrestlers lose b/c position before submission, and BJJ guys lose because sometimes submission > position (if you can see it).

Theres a school that teaches bjj, sambo and MMA plus a load of other stuff

Great list physicaltherapy. However, you should add that wrestling is probably the best for conditioning.

DukeShark said:
Great list physicaltherapy. However, you should add that wrestling is probably the best for conditioning.

Yeah b/c wrestlers TRAIN LIKE ANIMALS.....they drill shit to DEATH......they don't even think about sprawling and shooting its hardwired.

physicaltherapy said:
Sambo guys get armbarred

Well meaning post bro, but you should not have said that. Sambo guys pride themselves on their knowledge of the armbar and counters to it. They study it from all positions and how to defend it. They say that its one sub you should never give up if you are mentally in the match and actually consider it a great shame to loose by armbar.

Back