BJJ vs. Sambo

Your choice will be limited by what classes are available, go and watch as many classes as you can and even do the first class free, then decide which you like best. You will end up doing bjj and sub grappling(bjj without a gi).

Minotauro693 said:
I think the reason Fedor beats nog is bc of brutal GNP and better wrestling, not bc Sambo is better than BJJ.

BWAHHAHAHA @ your nick and your nog defending

Masakatsu Funaki #1 said:
Lol, Sambo is best of both worlds :p

I am very impressed with that 'combat' sambo after watching the Fedor video of it. Thats some hardcore comp.

Fedor beats nog because he can GNP like no other, not because sambo > BJJ.

honestly id give the cardio to judo

mainly because not one person in my judo club gets tired at all
and any wrestlers that come in are outside puking cuz they cant breathe

The Assassin said:
honestly id give the cardio to judo. mainly because not one person in my judo club gets tired at all and any wrestlers that come in are outside puking cuz they cant breathe

D1 wrestlers have cardio like no other. I have never seen anyone else with their athleticism. I invited a few to our grappling club once. They beat just about everyone despite not knowing many submissions. Their cardio is just awesome.

I've been to grappling practices where everyone was a cardio monster. I've been to judo classes where most people quit relatively quickly. I've seen the opposite as well. The sport doesn't give you cardio. It is the coach and the team.

how long does it take to reach a black belt or whatever system they have in sambo?

Sambo doesn't have belts. However, you should not worry about how long it takes to get a black belt.

Frodo said:
Sambo doesn't have belts. However, you should not worry about how long it takes to get a black belt.
im just curious, nothen wrong with that.

Sambo has better takedowns and leg locks - BJJ has a better ground game. You also need to concider which Sambo school you go to as traditional Sambo doesn't allow chokes so some schools don't teach them, which will sometimes lead the sambo guy open to chokes from a BJJer, look up Roy Harris's story about a Sombo freind of his that sparred with Royce once, they were dead even untill Royce figured out the guy wasn't up on his chokes at which point Royce started tapping him out almost at will.

And anyone that uses Fedor as an example of why Sombo is better isn't being fair - Fedor is a freak of nature and it is the fighter (not the system) that makes him so good. by that logic I'd put big Nog up with every other Sambo guy in MMA or talk about how Rickson won loads of Sombo matches and comps to show BJJ is better.

So in closing - both are great, if you have the option you should try both and see which you prefer

Ya know, w/out the clothes(gi, jacket etc) the grappling styles all have all the same moves. As long as you continue learning and rolling you will get better and shit Sambo<Bjj Shit BJJ<Sambo try both see which has a better class with better people to roll with.

Back