bjj v judo

Sauron said:
maybe it's different for you

In our gradings we have our theory signed off and then we go to the regional grading where it's just like a competition and they give you a certain number of matches and see how you do.

ah cool, never seen those.. guess my dojo is more traditional or something

LOL at bOb and Jag calling BS on Sauron's Judo...

b0b, USJA/USJF belt progression both have green belt as relatively low, and I've seen plenty of people jump from white to green on their first grading. Hardly mcdojo, as far as Judo is concerned. Didn't you only start training a few months ago? Don't you think you should slow your role before jumping on other people, especially when (you may not even know this) your school uses a very unorthodox belt system (sounds like under-16 progression, to be honest).

triso said:
Well, it was nice to see the submissions the Purple was pulling off, but that was such a one-sided match. I felt terrible for the Judo guy, he looked like he didn

fozzit said:
Really Now?

You know there are three ways to win a judo competition: Pin, perfect throw, submission.

People have been taking it to the ground since the kodokan started, and all it is is a different strategy to win a judo competition.

judo has always been geared as a takedown sport, if he tried that in bigger competitions the ref's would own him.

You could theoretically play butterfly guard in wrestling but everyone and their dog will hate you for it and every ref will have it in for you.

fozzit said:
Really Now?

You know there are three ways to win a judo competition: Pin, perfect throw, submission.

People have been taking it to the ground since the kodokan started, and all it is is a different strategy to win a judo competition.

triso said:
Well, it was nice to see the submissions the Purple was pulling off, but that was such a one-sided match. I felt terrible for the Judo guy, he looked like he didn

wow, the flying armbar would have gotten him a penalty in all the tournaments i've watched. You need one foot on the ground from what i've been told.

and the pulling guard, while only being a yuko for his opponent is a pretty lame thing to do. He is a true sandbagger.

and that was a DAMN tiny mat.

even the kids mats are 2x as big.

This judo green belt (wearer) for one will smoke that purple belt.

stephensharp said:

I never called BS, idiot.. I've just never heard of anyone going from white to green.. But then again I train in a traditional judo dojo where you have to earn every belt.

at my school its white to brown.. In japan its white to black...

so booo hoooooooooo

knoxpk said:
It would be like a Judo black belt entering a BJJ comp throwing blue belts and holding them in a pin from side control the whole match..
No fun..

you think this doesnt happen? i personally know a judo blackbelt who's been doing bjj for about a year, entered naga as a whitebelt (he is white in bjj) and just threw these noobs on their heads all day.

edit: i really beleive every bjj or judo player should cross train int he other art. i had the opportunity to roll with a judo player from rio the other day. he had been training judo "all his life" and said that in brazil they give a lot of respect to the ground game...he wasnt fucking kidding. he had sick throws and a solid purple belt level ground game.

you think this doesnt happen? i personally know a judo blackbelt who's been doing bjj for about a year, entered naga as a whitebelt (he is white in bjj) and just threw these noobs on their heads all day.
I am sure that DOES happen and I feel the same way about that as i do this.
A BB in JUDO should at the least enter the purple belt class or intermediate division IMO.

Can anyone clear up a few things for me regarding this video? O.P. how about you?
Why was the mat space non-regulation? At least 3 times to small.
Why were armbars allowed in a novice match?
Why was this guy allowed to pull guard so frequently? Ref's get even a whiff of that shit here in Arizona, and the guy get's penalized.
I'm still baffled. This was unlike any "judo" tournament I've ever seen.

stephensharp said:

b0b, USJA/USJF belt progression both have green belt as relatively low, and I've seen plenty of people jump from white to green on their first grading. Hardly mcdojo, as far as Judo is concerned. Didn't you only start training a few months ago? Don't you think you should slow your role before jumping on other people, especially when (you may not even know this) your school uses a very unorthodox belt system (sounds like under-16 progression, to be honest).

You are right. I am new, and I did mistake the belt system. We use the standard Judo belt system. I just don't see how someone can jump that high in 2 months.

Bubble Boy said:
Can anyone clear up a few things for me regarding this video? O.P. how about you?
Why was the mat space non-regulation? At least 3 times to small.
Why were armbars allowed in a novice match?
Why was this guy allowed to pull guard so frequently? Ref's get even a whiff of that shit here in Arizona, and the guy get's penalized.
I'm still baffled. This was unlike any "judo" tournament I've ever seen.
the novice tourney I was in allowed armbars, just fyi

b0b said:
You are right. I am new, and I did mistake the belt system. We use the standard Judo belt system. I just don't see how someone can jump that high in 2 months.

It was more like 3 months

I had some previous grappling experience, plus i a have an aggressive style and go all out trying nearly every technique i'd learned up until that point. i think judges like that. Alot of guys in their first gradings are really tentative and end up stiff arming each other.

Jaggulat10n said:
I never called BS, idiot.. I've just never heard of anyone going from white to green.. But then again I train in a traditional judo dojo where you have to earn every belt.

Really?

Jaggulat1on said:
wtf
mcDojo for real..
im only orange and ive been going for a year, we dont sparr during gradings?

"What the fuck, mcdojo" sounds like a call of bullshit to me.

Who's the idiot, Jumpy McCranky? Huh? Who just got IPPOWNED, Pwned O'Pwnedpants?

That's right...

Steve Sharp, 400-0.

John O'Brien said:
LOL @ jumpy McCranky & Pwned O'Pwnedpants.
yeah that was pretty funny, even though he didnt prove that i called his green belt bullshit.. Bullshit as in a lie.. I said his dojo gave out belts far to easy, yes but i never said it didnt happen. And personally i think stephensharp is more upset then sauron, which is pretty odd.

Back