BJJ in a post Covid-19 world

Our gyms are allowed to be open at like 1/2 capacity and got the greenlight to go back when we get back from our honeymoon, can't wait!!!! Can't believe it's been 6 months

Doing solo training in gis seems beyond lame.
It’s like going to train, doing warmups, and then leaving before getting to roll.
Everyone knows it’s supposed to be the other way around.:p

It’s like going to train, doing warmups, and then leaving before getting to roll.
Everyone knows it’s supposed to be the other way around.:p
Can not really imagine doing this. Makes a ton of more sense to just train with someone at home or lift some weights.

Can not really imagine doing this. Makes a ton of more sense to just train with someone at home or lift some weights.
Definitely.
My dog’s gonna be berimbolo’ing by the time quarantine is over.

But yeah, I’ve just been lifting and running these past few months.

Doing solo training in gis seems beyond lame.

due to the lame regulations imposed by most local governments, there isn't much choice for many gym owners. Either run solo drills, or illegally operate as normal and get a $5,000 fine for the business and per person in the facility

due to the lame regulations imposed by most local governments, there isn't much choice for many gym owners. Either run solo drills, or illegally operate as normal and get a $5,000 fine for the business and per person in the facility

It depends on the region, but the state allowed our gyms to open on June 1st.

Full contact, limited class sizes, same partners all day and repeating when possible.

A loose version of the pod system if you will.

By the time the mat is open to roll, there's usually a total of 4-5 people staying to roll.
On the bright side, that's led to getting a ton of good rounds with the head coach.

Our k-12 schools are 100% virtual, but gyms are fine.

Even in terms of risk, big restaurants open for indoor dining at half the dining room capacity are probably a much bigger spreader.

The ironic part is, they've basically set up what I call the dj booth (folding table with monitors, cameras, and a few computers) at the center line of the mat along one wall, to stream classes out to those who can't be there in person. This has resulted in our coach having a bunch of his old students who are still in Brazil watching his livestream from our gym in the states.

It depends on the region, but the state allowed our gyms to open on June 1st.

Full contact, limited class sizes, same partners all day and repeating when possible.

A loose version of the pod system if you will.

By the time the mat is open to roll, there's usually a total of 4-5 people staying to roll.
On the bright side, that's led to getting a ton of good rounds with the head coach.

Our k-12 schools are 100% virtual, but gyms are fine.

Even in terms of risk, big restaurants open for indoor dining at half the dining room capacity are probably a much bigger spreader.

Here in Hawaii, contact is absolutely not allowed at all, we have to do solo drills 6 ft apart, and masks are required indoors, even while working out
The Governor and Mayor here are screwing things up so bad and killing the economy even more than necessary. Gyms were recently reclosed again due to the rising cases. There is no end in sight as to when they will allow gyms to open up with contact again

You think restaurants are a bigger spreader than gyms? How so? I can't see that, only reason would be the turnover of customers compared to a regular group at gyms

Here in Hawaii, contact is absolutely not allowed at all, we have to do solo drills 6 ft apart, and masks are required indoors, even while working out
The Governor and Mayor here are screwing things up so bad and killing the economy even more than necessary. Gyms were recently reclosed again due to the rising cases. There is no end in sight as to when they will allow gyms to open up with contact again

You think restaurants are a bigger spreader than gyms? How so? I can't see that, only reason would be the turnover of customers compared to a regular group at gyms

40 people in a restaurant dining room that could have sat 80 pre covid + 12 more at the indoor bar, no masks, vs 10 people in a gym. Basically the more people you add risks go up exponentially, which is why the big "super spreader" events are things like schools reopening in person without requiring masks and big gatherings like the Sturgis motorcycle rally where mask use was minimal and thousands were gathered to watch Smashmouth of all things.

A few nights ago, Dr. Fauci told an interviewer that he thought people would be back to playing pick-up basketball in the parks by Q3 or Q4 of 2021. Brutal, but that's what my "Jiu-jitsu Return" timeline is looking like right about now.

I really need to get away from Ontario for a month or two, and I work remotely so I can travel anywhere in North America without problem. How are Florida gyms now a days? Are they open and functioning as normal? (Rolling for example) There's a few gyms I'm interested in visiting. Vagner Rocha's, ATT, FightSport for example.

My other option would be Texas, as I hear most gyms are operating as normal there.

My other option would be Texas, as I hear most gyms are operating as normal there.

I can confirm Texas is back to normal. We stopped for about 1.5 months. I went back and then stopped another 1.5 after we spiked and because my wife put her foot down. I've been back for a while now and it feels good. I know some gyms are still closed though.

The virus is airborne. This is the biggest problem, that there is just so much misinformation and propaganda bullshit that the real facts aren't spread among the citizens. It's crazy.

Not trying to talk shit to you at all, but talking to my parents or a friend or a random person about it and people think it's some magical force. In reality it's very similar to the flu, it's an airborne virus the vector is basically shooting spit droplets or mucus/split/liquid droplets from your mouth/nose into the air in little bubbles that can be inhaled.

That would be my explanation of it non-scientifically. That's what it is. So yeah to answer your question, if the restaurant were outdoors and spread out then maybe it's less risky even with 50 people v.s. 10 people in a gym. But if it was an enclosed indoor area with poor ventilation / air flow, then it's very likely worse. It's a numbers game at that point.

If you're rolling with a guy who has it then yeah you're gonna get it basically. If you had a class of 10 guys and everyone is rolling with each other, and the guy who is contagious is greathing hard and it's in a smaller gym or is sitting around in the air around where you are, then yeah you are going to get it probably.

So I'd say on the macro-level the state regulations for your state are retarded and bullshit political based. But on the micro-level someone doing BJJ/Wrestling?MMA in a gym is definitely putting themselves at pretty high risk to contract Covid, but that also depends on class sizes how many people you roll with, and how many cases are in your specific state/county/city.

*also: After the election I would bet my left nut that your state allows rolling and contact in gyms and everything becomes a lot more open shortly after it's over.

I can confirm Texas is back to normal. We stopped for about 1.5 months. I went back and then stopped another 1.5 after we spiked and because my wife put her foot down. I've been back for a while now and it feels good. I know some gyms are still closed though.

It has been interesting seeing the situation for BJJ in the US versus where I teach in the UK. I've only just been able to reopen, as of two weeks ago, with only solo drills and grappling dummies. Contact training is possible, but very limited: you can only do that with a member of your household.

I've also had to limit class numbers to 12, as that's the max I can fit onto the mats, while also still maintaining the 2m social distance between everybody that the govt requires.

Whereas in a lot of the US, it seems like lots of places are back to normal, despite the covid situation over there being worse than the UK (as far as I can tell from the news I've seen, at least). I know that the Netherlands and Estonia are also back to training as normal, though I think their infection rates and case numbers are far lower than either the US or UK.

also: After the election I would bet my left nut that your state allows rolling and contact in gyms and everything becomes a lot more open shortly after it's over.

Why after the election? people keep saying after the election things will open up. I don't see how they will allow more activity after the restrictions, as many other countries don't have an election in November yet it seems unlikely some will open up soon after November either

In fact, the City and County in Honolulu, Hawaii just released a reopening guideline last week that is RETARDED. Way worse than the first reopening plan they had. In fact, with their new "Tier" system, if things go perfectly and smoothly, by late December, gyms will still only operate at 50%, with 6 ft social distancing and masks required even when exercising indoors, which effectively still bans contact training.
It's unbelievable, mid/late-DEcember and they still will have things operating in this restricted manner here

I just read posts from this thread a little while ago and moved on to my news.....

holy fuck!

this is what the medical field is finding out about the after effects of Covid!

check out the part about the former NFL player who was a tri athlete before infection. And the state from the Ohio St team doctor's compiled stats.

you're risking long term damage to your heart and brain, if it's permanent you'll find out in the long term.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/here-are-8-reasons-is-so-much-worse-than-the-skeptics-think/

I just read posts from this thread a little while ago and moved on to my news.....

holy fuck!

this is what the medical field is finding out about the after effects of Covid!

check out the part about the former NFL player who was a tri athlete before infection. And the state from the Ohio St team doctor's compiled stats.

you're risking long term damage to your heart and brain, if it's permanent you'll find out in the long term.

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/09/here-are-8-reasons-is-so-much-worse-than-the-skeptics-think/

You're right, this shit is way more dangerous than just not dying.

I love doing sports, if I have permanent issues in my 30's I would be very pissed.

Hell just broke loose last night in my area, we are now in full social distancing, but businesses are still running (except bars and restaurants dining room). I can go to the gym, my kid can play hockey, I can go and train BJJ with my 4 guys bubble partners, but I can't go see my Mom.

So it's now the work, consume and watch TV era.

At least, gyms are still open, not sure if I will go as far as rolling in the gym, it feels more risky than going into one of my friend's basement and roll with 2 or 3 people.

Any recommended gyms that are visitor friendly? I know we're talking an entire giant state, but I'm open to go anywhere.

Why after the election? people keep saying after the election things will open up. I don't see how they will allow more activity after the restrictions, as many other countries don't have an election in November yet it seems unlikely some will open up soon after November either

In fact, the City and County in Honolulu, Hawaii just released a reopening guideline last week that is RETARDED. Way worse than the first reopening plan they had. In fact, with their new "Tier" system, if things go perfectly and smoothly, by late December, gyms will still only operate at 50%, with 6 ft social distancing and masks required even when exercising indoors, which effectively still bans contact training.
It's unbelievable, mid/late-DEcember and they still will have things operating in this restricted manner here

Because there is an obvious political motive for a lot of the decisions during Covid. Not saying it isn't serious or real here, but it's been overblown and a lot of government policies aren't even scientific. Just like the one we're talking about.

Training wrestling/BJJ/Grappling is risky, but it's less risky than other things that are available and have been like potentially going to the grocery store.

I can't speak on Hawaii. But I live in a liberal state that has been cautious for the virus, but we've been open since June-July roughly for grappling gyms. Sounds like your state is just being retarded. I thought there was next to no infections on the islands of Hawaii either...? lol

Back