BJJ guys doing Judo tourneys....

I do both! A few months ago there was a purple belt that entered a black belt devision and cleaned house, he pulled gaurd and subed all 3 of his opponents. O and dont get mad if people start getting mad screaming no skill and other stupid things from the sideline. I shot for a double leg before and a man actually came up to me and said "thats not judo NEVER try to pull that shit again."

ColtonS said:
I do both! A few months ago there was a purple belt that entered a black belt devision and cleaned house, he pulled gaurd and subed all 3 of his opponents. O and dont get mad if people start getting mad screaming no skill and other stupid things from the sideline. I shot for a double leg before and a man actually came up to me and said "thats not judo NEVER try to pull that shit again."

but in reality, double leg is a recognized Judo take down....of course it has an appropiate Judo name which I can't recall at the moment. So it's kinda odd for someone to tell you that and have a Judo background himself. As for the taunting/hazing potential...bleh....if I enter, i expect to be the bad guy since I'll be the "BJJ'er in the Judoka's house".

My only other question if I can even wear my Gameness gi (w/ all the patches it comes with), because from quickly scanning the IJF rules book....the back patch area seems to be relegated only to Olympic patches or something (if I read correctly). Although my Atama Blue summer weave gi should suffice.

Rip Van Winkle said:
but in reality, double leg is a recognized Judo take down....of course it has an appropiate Judo name which I can't recall at the moment. So it's kinda odd for someone to tell you that and have a Judo background himself. As for the taunting/hazing potential...bleh....if I enter, i expect to be the bad guy since I'll be the "BJJ'er in the Judoka's house".

My only other question if I can even wear my Gameness gi (w/ all the patches it comes with), because from quickly scanning the IJF rules book....the back patch area seems to be relegated only to Olympic patches or something (if I read correctly). Although my Atama Blue summer weave gi should suffice.
basically they have to be solid white or blue

and some won't allow a blue one. you can have patches if they pretain to certian things like national competitions, olympics
but you aren't allowed to have lets say a schools name or anything like that on it.

ColtonS said:
uhh you pull guard in a judo tourney and you will hear

IPPON - SURA MATTE

which means

your ass just lost

Steeltwo said:
uhh you pull guard in a judo tourney and you will hear

IPPON - SURA MATTE

which means

your ass just lost

pulling guard from standing should be a penalty in BJJ tourneys imo. Defeats the purpose of even trying to attempt a throw or takedown.

Steeltwo said:
basically they have to be solid white or blue

and some won't allow a blue one. you can have patches if they pretain to certian things like national competitions, olympics
but you aren't allowed to have lets say a schools name or anything like that on it.

Eh, i might be fucked then....I'll still go watch if I can't compete.

Rip Van Winkle said:
Eh, i might be fucked then....I'll still go watch if I can't compete.
your tourney is not formal like that one I was in though.

by the information you recieved, it does not require a judo organization registration. That organization is who sets the rules for the tourney. Go, bring your stuff and find out. By the sound of things, it looks like a couple local judo schools setup this tourney for people in the area so they didn't have to drive 1/2 a state away in order to compete.

my school did that two years ago and they allowed any type of gi.

oh and one last rule. You can have ZERO metal on you. If you have long hair, even a hairtie with a tiny little metal thing will get your kicked out of the competition.

alexgncw said:
go for it but you're gonna have some problems if you have no judo training at all ... i don't know the rules for judo tourneys but from what i heard you can only do ground work for like 15-20 sec after it goes to the ground and you'll have no chance if any of those guys clinch up with you standing so if rules allow it i would just pull guard as soon as the fight starts (unless you're a good wrestler then just shoot)

30 seconds if it is stale mated they stand you back up... Just keep active and moving and this wont happen.

Watch for scarf hold pins - practice your escapes alot before going. The scarf hold with head and arm... and north south pin downs are judo guys bread and buttter... They are pretty good at it too.. But if you have all the escapes down they give their back and will pay the price.

Dont be a sissy and just pull guard either - if your going to enter a judo competition atleast play a little of their game and respect the sport.
If your going to just pull guard and work your jiu jitsu your entering the wrong trounament.

It would be like a muay Thai guy entering a TKD tournament and leg kicking everyone.. but then again thats illegal in TKD so maybe not the best analogy.

This thread and most of the posts are so informative.

I'm a bjj guy too but have been trying to improve my takedowns for gi and no gi. I went to a local judo club at the invitation of a black belt and it was just jaw dropping the takedowns and sweeps they do so effortlessly. Hell, in the warm up they are just flipping themselves with such speed and skill its totally amazing.

I feel really bad because all my gis have my school patch on them and like the poster said, I really feel like an invader in their dojo. Plus I can see all the people pointing and whispering. "He is a jiu jitsu guy. Oh my."

I got to watch some of the judo competition videos and they do have a lot of rules but great sportsmanship. I am going to try to get a judo gi, either a mizuno or atama to practice and fit in more. If I ever feel confident enough I will try to enter judo tournaments too.

Let us know how you do and then pm me your email so I could ask you some questions.

Good luck either way.

You said your bread and buter is the single leg sweep. If so, remember a couple of things: you can only hold a leg for 5 seconds. If you catch a leg and are going to sweep his support leg, this is fine and legal except the leg you are holding, you cannot be holding it with both hands or arms. It can only be one handed.

Gsoares2 said:
30 seconds if it is stale mated they stand you back up... Just keep active and moving and this wont happen.

do you mean they let you stall for 30 seconds?

or that they will let you work on the ground for 30 seconds?

muerteverde said:
You said your bread and buter is the single leg sweep. If so, remember a couple of things: you can only hold a leg for 5 seconds. If you catch a leg and are going to sweep his support leg, this is fine and legal except the leg you are holding, you cannot be holding it with both hands or arms. It can only be one handed.

wow. just wow. a pretty wrestler-biased rule if i've ever hear one.

im just bitter tho, i hate a lot of sport grappling rules. imo, bjj and judo and sub wrestling should all be one, kinda like adcc, but give more points for the takedown (like 4), penalize guard pulling, allow ALL submissions, allow pressure to the face and any other dirty tricks you have, no pins, bjj positional points structure, allow slams....everything except striking. gotta keep grappling closer to mma/vale tudo in my opinion.

colinm said:
wow. just wow. a pretty wrestler-biased rule if i've ever hear one.

im just bitter tho, i hate a lot of sport grappling rules. imo, bjj and judo and sub wrestling should all be one, kinda like adcc, but give more points for the takedown (like 4), penalize guard pulling, allow ALL submissions, allow pressure to the face and any other dirty tricks you have, no pins, bjj positional points structure, allow slams....everything except striking. gotta keep grappling closer to mma/vale tudo in my opinion.

The rules have evolved over the years - they are the way they are to avoid injurys to a large majority of the participants...

Steeltwo said:

if you are just sitting there stalling they will stand you back up... if no one has control or is making attacks...

if you keep the action going they will let you stay on the ground. but many judo gusy will just clinch up untill it goes standing... Unless they think they have a ground game. Which most dont.

Gsoares2 said:
The rules have evolved over the years - they are the way they are to avoid injurys to a large majority of the participants...

but don't you think that not allowing a 2 handed grip on a leg and disallowing more than 5 seconds of holding a leg are just to prevent wrestlers from cleaning house?

its like judo guy said, "hey these wrestlers are really starting to do well in judo tournaments, what should we do?"
judo guy 2, "we could learn a thing or two from wrestlers, incorporate these techniques into our judo and be more effective grapplers. we may still get beat by wrestlers at the start, but we will be better off in the long run."
judo guy 3, "no no no, lets just change the rules so its harder/illegal for wrestlers to use their moves against out students."
judo guy 1, "sounds good!"

dont think im just hating on judo either, bjj does this to a certain extent....some organizations banning certain leglocks and such outside of beginner divisions. i even heard that the evil side of the gracie family, the one that copyrighted gracie jiu jitsu, has some stupid rule in its competitions where they start from the guard and halfway through the match restart in the guard, switching the guys from top to bottom.

colinm said:
but don't you think that not allowing a 2 handed grip on a leg and disallowing more than 5 seconds of holding a leg are just to prevent wrestlers from cleaning house?

its like judo guy said, "hey these wrestlers are really starting to do well in judo tournaments, what should we do?"
judo guy 2, "we could learn a thing or two from wrestlers, incorporate these techniques into our judo and be more effective grapplers. we may still get beat by wrestlers at the start, but we will be better off in the long run."
judo guy 3, "no no no, lets just change the rules so its harder/illegal for wrestlers to use their moves against out students."

dont think im just hating on judo either, bjj does this to a certain extent....some organizations banning certain leglocks and such outside of beginner divisions. i even heard that the evil side of the gracie family, the one that copyrighted gracie jiu jitsu, has some stupid rule in its competitions where they start from the guard and halfway through the match restart in the guard, switching the guys from top to bottom.

But dude that is what wrestling is for. you know. Judo is a different sport with different take downs..... They do it to keep advanced wrestlers out of dominating the newer judo guys.

There are many reversals to double and single legs.

So i agree with you they should let the double legs happen. But its not like they are out lawing wrestling take downs... you can still do them all and score points for take downs.

realisticly if your holding a leg for five seconds and not getting the takedown your probably about to get thrown hard anyways..

colinm said:

I imagine they did it because they didn't want Judo to turn into GI wrestling, i've not done much wrestling but i image a single leg wouldn't score very well in judo and would just lead to repetitions of fruitless takedowns where the other guy would just turtle up and defend. Hence taking up most of the time in the match. I think with the single legs you would really have to rip them off the ground to score, kind of like how rhadi hoists them up into the air with his version.

As for the rules whereby they switch positions from when one guy is on the top and the other is on the bottom isn't such a bad idea. Especially if there is alot of stalling going on, sometimes the guy that gets the takedown is useless at passing the guard and so a switch could alieviate the problem. i could see BJJ going that way in the future, there is so many more rules that are going to be implemented in the future of bjj that it isn't even funny.
The standardisation process of bjj is going to end up alot like that of judo and wrestling, they are going to experiment with many different rules, to deal with stalling, boring matches and stalemates.

and i think the crossover of BJJ and Judo is awesome. I hope it starts filtering through onto the national stage and makes the groundwork stages a little more interesting instead of the excessive turtling that goes on nowadays.

Steeltwo said:

If in 30 sec you show no real advancing.

colinm said:

You can shoot all you want. And holding the leg for 5 sec is plenty of time if you are going to do something. It is just that shots wont do much when a guy has a hold of your gi. It is too easy to jam to the ground.

Back