BJJ guys doing Judo tourneys....

Rip Van Winkle

Last Login 2009
Reaction score
Any BJJ players here ever done Judo tourney's? Did you have previous Judo training or did you enter solely w/ a BJJ background? How did you do?

Just curious as I found a local Judo tourney this upcoming Saturday and it's $5 and $15 entry fee for 2nd and 1st divisions (have no clue what that mean). Sounds like a cheap way to have some fun and compete in a background in which I have no real training (I'm a BJJer, though my BJJ instructor is a BB Judoka as well).

Go for it... just ask for a summary of the rules so you dont embarass yourself....

DOUBLE LEGS ALL DAY THO BRO....

Rip Van Winkle said:
Any BJJ players here ever done Judo tourney's? Did you have previous Judo training or did you enter solely w/ a BJJ background? How did you do?

Just curious as I found a local Judo tourney this upcoming Saturday and it's $5 and $15 entry fee for 2nd and 1st divisions (have no clue what that mean). Sounds like a cheap way to have some fun and compete in a background in which I have no real training (I'm a BJJer, though my BJJ instructor is a BB Judoka as well).

Sounds like a real cheap way to get someone to throw you on your head. lol

but seriously if your instructor is a bb i would ask him for a some tips about Judo so you have an idea of what to do. Can you really double leg in a judo comp?

oh yeah and good luck if you enter... tourneys are real good fun and live competetion is always real good to do.

go for it but you're gonna have some problems if you have no judo training at all ... i don't know the rules for judo tourneys but from what i heard you can only do ground work for like 15-20 sec after it goes to the ground and you'll have no chance if any of those guys clinch up with you standing so if rules allow it i would just pull guard as soon as the fight starts (unless you're a good wrestler then just shoot)

anthony27 said:
Can you really double leg in a judo comp?

It's called morote-gari. That translates to two-handed reap. It is an officially recognized judo technique.

It seems to be the judo equivalent of leglocks in gi BJJ. It's considered risky and looked down upon a little. However, it is still very common in competition for the simple reason that it works.

So you should be able to shoot a double leg in judo without penalty.

Only reason I'm thinking of going is I have a uncanny ability to throw/takedown my opponents in BJJ....to the point that I'm always asked if I've taken Judo in the past.

If I do go, I'll probably just stick to my bread & butter which is single leg sweeps and throw in some double legs or ankle picks.

It'll be cool to see the difference between a BJJ ran tourney and a Judo ran tourney. :)

A few small things to be aware of.

Bowing & stuff..... just watch a few matches & you'll get the hang of it. You only have to bow at the beginning and end, not during "re-starts"

Terminology:
HA-JIMMY = Start
MAR-TAY=stop
OSS-A-KOMMI= "Hold-down". What the ref shouts to start the "pin" timer.
TOKETTA= "Hold-down broken" What the ref shouts to stop the "pin" timer
-- DONT stop for anything other than MAR-TAY.

If you are pinned & hear OSS-A-KOMMI, get out of the pin. You need to make it onto your stomach OR trap your opponents legs with your own (ie; have your legs LINKED around his).

If you are the one doing the pin DONT sacrifice the pin for a sub unless you feel the pin weakening and you are not able to shift to a stronger position.

Standing? Just go for it, but dont be over-eager and run onto your opponent. Keep moving and looking for opportunities. If you feel theatened - just attack. If you cant break their grip - attack.... even if the attacks are bad they'll get you out of trouble rather than just sitting there waiting for the other guy.

Attack fast, off the grip if you can. If you shoot doubles or singles dont telegraph the attack - keep your hands and eyes up and lunge fast.

Have fun. Let us know how you go!

good luck ... just make sure you get all the rules down i know you can be penalized for things in judo that are very common in bjj

Make sure you know how to break fall because you can get serious injuries with drop seoi or sode.

Good luck dude, i don't think you'll do too bad. Keep us posted and have fun

I dunno - I sometimes spar from standing with a lad who did Judo for ten years, I can manage him on the ground (although it's getting harder) but standing he owns me. with that in mind I don't think i'd bother with Judo comps just because with the rules the way they are (i heard no guard pulling?) i'd have no chance.

Not that i'm the worlds greatest grappler either mind you, so others may be different.

Terrier said:
...snip.......(i heard no guard pulling?) ............
No guard pulling straight from standing, correct. But you can fake a technique (say tomoe-nage) and end up in guard if you insist in attacking from guard. Problem is you dont have time to stall in guard or play any extended tactical game so unless you have a stupid judoka who will give you an arm or allow you control for a quick sweep into pin you have no real benefit from this position as the refs will stand you both back up after maybe 5-10 seconds.

judogido said:
snip....... or play any extended tactical game .....

Well that's me out then.

Actually I may be giving myself to much credit to say there are tactics involved

Mabn honestly, don't let the judo guys scare you because there have been numerous bjj whites and blues who entered judo comps, reviewed the rules and been somewhat successful in their divisions and absolute..

but like i said at judoforum, watch out for the false attack penalties.. 2 penalties and i believe you lose.. 2 or 3... i forgot..

fozzit said:
Mabn honestly, don't let the judo guys scare you because there have been numerous bjj whites and blues who entered judo comps, reviewed the rules and been somewhat successful in their divisions and absolute..

but like i said at judoforum, watch out for the false attack penalties.. 2 penalties and i believe you lose.. 2 or 3... i forgot..

yea, the false attack penalty is something I'm wary of. I usually like to fake for one thing and shoot for another throw or takedown...so that would probably fuck me in a Judo tourney :(

Rip Van Winkle said:
yea, the false attack penalty is something I'm wary of. I usually like to fake for one thing and shoot for another throw or takedown...so that would probably fuck me in a Judo tourney :(
you can fake one thing and go to another
you can't just fake attack and stand there like a retard.

also, no hands to the face at all, you can wrap someones face with your legs.

it might be more than 15 bones, you will probly have to join a judo league. I had to join USJA to play in a tourney a while ago, even though I was part of another judo organization.

double legs are hard to get in a judo tourney for some odd reason.

oh and do not talk to the ref during the match.

Steeltwo said:
it might be more than 15 bones, you will probly have to join a judo league. I had to join USJA to play in a tourney a while ago, even though I was part of another judo organization.

This all the information I have on the event:

Belleville Judo Club Fall Shiai

SATURDAY, SEPT 17, 2005 (TENTATIVE)
Family Sportsplex
2346 Mascoutah Ave
Belleville, Illinois
Registration & Weigh in: All Divisions 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Competition starts as soon as possible thereafter.
Registration Fee: First Division $15, Second Division $5.

Tournament Director: Quentin Thompson, 7405 Concordia, Belleville IL 62024. (618) 476-1976, email [email protected]

Directors Note: This is the 7th of our Sportsplex tournaments designed to make more local competition available for judoka who find it inconvenient to attend out of town Shiai requiring overnight travel. We solicit your assistance in making this a fun event.

Good luck to you. Tell us how you do.

I do Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Judo, so I think I may have a distinct advantage over a straight Judoka. Never competed in Judo, but I plan to. I love the long, drawn out, tactical battles fought in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but it's a nice change to have a quick, explosive war in Judo.

Back