BJJ Gi advice please

Vector_X

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well it turns out that my gym is going to start a gi bjj class as well as nogi and I'm a bit more interested in the gi since I don't fight mma anyway. I know a lot of you guys own multiple gi's and would like your opinions on which ones you like the most and why? From what I gather Adidas gi's are a big no no and owning a Lucky gi, while fashionable, is probably not so smart for a white belt. So please let me know what you think the best gi is so that I may purchase it and not make some of the mistakes that a lot of people seem to have to go through. Price also isn't really a big deal as long as I don't have to replace it 6 months down the road. For sizing purposes I am 6'1 and weigh 180lbs but it will fluctuate down to 165 for MT fights. Thank you much in advance and sorry about the inconvenience of having to answer such a generic question.

if you're a beginner, I hear that the fuji, hck single, or the gameness pearl are good starting gis.

Well training wise I'm sure I would be going a good 3-4 days a week so please take that into mind as well. What is the difference between a "beginner gi" and a "not beginner gi"? I have done nogi for around 10 months or so. So knowledge wise I'm not a complete beginner I just am one at Gi BJJ.

if where u train i dsnt get hot for a great extent of the year HCK unbleached single weave is value for money! if it gets hot go for something else.

mate, i purchased a Gameness Platinum through cageside and i'm real happy with it, the material is very light for its weave and has been stitched up well. Pants are solid as too. I've taken the rear & the front patch off my jacket but you have the option of keeping them on, depends on your own style. Nice thick & stiff collar helps to minimize chokes. I've heard there are fake Gameness out there so stick to those made in Pakistan rather than Brazil. Boomer at cageside offers the best service around so check him out too. All the best on the search, but if you consider a Platinum, rest assured it is an excellent choice.

I purchased a Fuji gi based off this forum's recommendation (like all my gear) and I wear it more often than my Atama now. I like it that much. Since, my instructor has purchased on and we buy them to stock for new students at the school as well.

hmm that sounds like some sound advice on the gameness platinum. What size would you recommend that I get? As far as if it gets hot and cold where I live it does both so I do need to take that into consideration. So the Fuji is a good gi as well then? Huh I will have to check them out too. I haven't heard as much about them as I have gameness.

i'm 5'9 141 pounds and i recently bought an A2 platinum.

i'd recommend getting it from groundandpound.com - you'll save about 25 bux and shipping costs, and the customer service is great too.

So how does the Fuji stack up against something like a Gameness Platinum? I mean obviously it seems like the Fuji is a great bang for the buck, but is it actually better or just possibly a better deal? Does anyone have both and can tell me about their experiences with both Gis(wow that word looks odd as a plural)?

i had a gameness pearl and its alright i didnt really like it much because its just to light. its very strong though and its a good beginner gi so you might want to check into it. ive herd the ouano 99 gi is also really good and they look nice too!

I have 2 Korals which I train with regularly. I also have an old Atama and an old Keiko Raca single.

I like my 2 Korals the best, the Atama still fits nice however has shrunk over the years.

The Keiko fits fine aswell however seems to soak up a lot of sweat.

I will probably be looking into getting a SSF, Vulkan and possibly a Lucky Gi in the future. I love to throw away my money...

so what is a beginner gi as opposed to a not beginner gi? Is the gameness platinum essentially the same as the gameness pearl with patches or is one a single weave and the other a double?

one other question. Is there like a benchmark gi that most people compare other gi's to and the other companies try to replicate as hard as they can? Don't worry about recommending me a beginner gi just recommend me a great all around gi. I'm hoping this thing will last long enough to where i'm no longer a beginner and more than likely will just buy 2 to rotate them.

Now that is kind of the info that I was looking for! Has Koral improved on this Gi beyond the classic to a better extent? If you can't tell I'm just looking for a sound investment and don't really feel like pissing away 100+ dollars on something I will regret or will just break down right away.

get the gi. end of thread. no more talking. you will not be sad.

will do looking at their site is there any difference between the classic and the competition ones? The price seems different, but description wise I can't really see much of a difference.

will do looking at their site is there any difference between the classic and the competition ones? The price seems different, but description wise I can't really see much of a difference.

there is no real difference from the mkm and classic other than the look.....to my knowledge. i have an mkm. its fantastic.go on jiujitsuprogear.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back