BJJ Gi advice please

Thanks much for being so straight forward this would have helped from the beginning.

I have 2 Korals which I train with regularly. I also have an old Atama and an old Keiko Raca single.

I like my 2 Korals the best, the Atama still fits nice however has shrunk over the years.

The Keiko fits fine aswell however seems to soak up a lot of sweat.

I will probably be looking into getting a SSF, Vulkan and possibly a Lucky Gi in the future. I love to throw away my money...

lucky gi=made in china now

lucky gi=made in china now

truthfully that isn't always a bad thing it would really depend on the manufacturing plants and how well you keep up on QA. I'd see it more as a giant target especially if I were a white belt, which I am =).

i think it all depends. i have a single weave gameness and a pearl. the single weave is kind of stiff and tore easily(not saying the gi is bad, just mine tore.) i just got the pearl today and love it. it's not to light and pretty strong. go with groundandpound.com if you buy the pearl, only 89 bucks.

the Platinum weave is similar to the gold weave of other brands, it is heavier than single but not as thick as double, it is not too heavy but very durable. My first Gi was a judo double weave and that thing was killing me off, such a heavy sucker.

I am 5'9" & 220pounds, I have an A4 size wich is perfect for my length & girth, the sleaves i had shortened by 2". The pants fit my 38" waist & I could prob gain a another inch or two and they'll still fit well, they are a nice durable canvas with reinforced knees and an excellent tying system, some of the gi's I've seen come with a nice top but crappy lightweight pants, length wise the trou touch the top of my foot. THERE IS VERY LITTLE SHRINKAGE on gi top (I am inclined to say there is none at all), and I was able to shrink pant length by 1/2" only.

My advice re sizing is to talk to the supplier and keep copy of email, if they recommend wrong size you may have leverege for redress if you want a size up/down. Dont go past Boomer at http://cagesidemma.com/gis.html , be sure to check him out and compare to others, I can say his international freight was super cheap & super quick plus he threw in a free belt for me.

Excellent equipment will help promote excellent performance. All the best for your search.

Second the Koral Classic. No shrinking, no hassle. I also have a Gameness Pearl - very similar to Koral, slightly tighter fit and not pre-shrunk but a very good gi nonetheless. I got mine from budovideos.com

Back