BJJ Expensive

Daaamn. I thank my lucky stars that I train at an MMA gym. 70 bucks a month for training up to 6 days a week. Of course, it's not straight BJJ. It's a mix between No Gi Grappling, (Muay Thai/MMA style) Kickboxing, Vale Tudo/MMA, and occasionally some wrestling.

BJ Penn's is the best under 70 a month for 4 nights a week and Rodrigo Gracie charges I believe over a $100 and look who out grappled who! I think people get kind of stingy with BJJ classes, oh well you'll definitely learn something :D

Arashi said:
BJ Penn's is the best under 70 a month for 4 nights a week and Rodrigo Gracie charges I believe over a $100 and look who out grappled who! I think people get kind of stingy with BJJ classes, oh well you'll definitely learn something :D

Best grappler doesn't mean best teacher, although I'm a huge Penn fan. I'd look at the skills of the teacher's students instead.

raulz88 said:
I am very interested in beginning the BJJ program under Pedro Sauer in Salt Lake City. I undersand Pedro is very respected and the program is top notch, so I am excited that it is so close to where I live. I gave them a call and I wasn't prepared for the cost. At 85.00 per month with 2 sessions per week, it is going to be interesting talking my wife into letting me pursue this.

I am going to do my best to come up with the scratch to train there, but i was wondering what each of you pay for training at your respective schools, and how much training can be expected with two 1 hour classes per week. Thanks alot.

Sucks for you in Salt Lake. I pay 55 a month for Mon-Thurs my instructor is under Royce Gracie.

raulz88 said:
I am very interested in beginning the BJJ program under Pedro Sauer in Salt Lake City. I undersand Pedro is very respected and the program is top notch, so I am excited that it is so close to where I live. I gave them a call and I wasn't prepared for the cost. At 85.00 per month with 2 sessions per week, it is going to be interesting talking my wife into letting me pursue this.

I am going to do my best to come up with the scratch to train there, but i was wondering what each of you pay for training at your respective schools, and how much training can be expected with two 1 hour classes per week. Thanks alot.

Talking your wife to let your persue a hobby, pussy whipped mormons.

to be honest, i've been VERY fortunate to that i've NEVER actually paid for the BJJ instruction/clubs I've been to (call it dumb luck or people liking me), but the new team I am training with is $60/month for MMA instruction, up to 6 days a week. it's very cheap but i also live in an area where instruction/cost of living is average (sacramento CA).

oh yeah IMO OPEN MAT and sparring is where you will improve your actual ability the most. you may not pick up the best technique straight away, but open mat and sparring will let you improve your ability to battle it out on the mat whether or not you actually have a great level of skill and is just as important if not more important than working techniques. go to the open mats if your school provides them.

I'm paying $80-85 (can't remember which) for 2x a week, plus the every-now-and-then Saturday class that they've started here in 2006.

$100 for unlimited.

Best of luck finding the money. If you find that your really love jiu jitsu, not only will you find ways to come up with the money, but I wouldn't be surprised if your wife becomes even more supportive.

i pay $180 a month under renzo. 4x a week max. steep but renzo is often there..

Arashi said:

kuroMaguro said:
Best grappler doesn't mean best teacher, although I'm a huge Penn fan. I'd look at the skills of the teacher's students instead.

exactly, besides BJ and Charuto i don't see anybody else making waves.

I just want to step in and say, the Pedro Sauer program is perhaps one of the best you'll find. $75/month for Pedro's school is nothing compared to the level of instruction you can gain at that school. My first BJJ instructor was a Blue Belt under Pedro Sauer(free school, so I didn't mind!), and his level of technical expertise was excellent. A blue belt might sound like something pithy in comparison to a lot of places, but at his age(bordering 60 at the start of his training) probably played a factor, and he was still outgrappling anyone you could throw at him. He was a 'forced Blue' that was always trying to skip his promotion until Pedro cornered him and tied it on. Alot of funny stories, but fact of the matter is, Pedro Sauer's school is one of the prime schools for technical knowledge.

Gracie Barra costs $190/month for 4 classes/week, which is pretty damn expensive. It's worth it though to be training the Gracie Barra system under Carlos and Marcio Feitosa.

i pay $200/mo for unlimited training. school is open 6 days a week, with 2 classes a day m-f. the instructor is not a gracie or famous brazilian, but he's a legitimate black belt with an impressive competition resume and he teaches every class.

i agree with what some say that quality bjj instruction is worth it. however, i also believe it's overpriced. overhead in ny is certainly at a premium, but a friend of mine trains in shaolin kung fu under a legitimate shaolin monk in manhattan (or perhaps it's former shaolin monk, as he's a ny resident how) for around $130/mo, and he teaches *every* class, all day. so i don't necessarily buy that it's prestige of the master or expensive city overhead that's to blame for the cost. i think it's partly the fad of mma.

that said, i've trained in schools that were more like mcdojos, and in others that were def not mcdojos but had other quirks. personally, the fact that i've found a school with great ppl, a good vibe, and quality instruction makes the extra $50-80 per month worth it.

i imagine in a few more years the fad will settle, and as bjj produces more black belts we'll see an increase in the number of good schools and an overall decrease in fees. we'll probably also see and increase in crap schools, and bjj getting somewhat mcdojo-fied. it's a sad thing, but it seems to be the way things happen in the us.

damn I need to find a job in Hilo I have a job in Kona I am thining about pursuing
but that is a bit far

my gym is 135 for new members for bjj/mma/muay thai

some people train at 6am and come back at 6pm
we are open all day

I'm paying $80-85 (can't remember which) for 2x a week, plus the every-now-and-then Saturday class that they've started here in 2006.

$100 for unlimited.

Best of luck finding the money. If you find that your really love jiu jitsu, not only will you find ways to come up with the money, but I wouldn't be surprised if your wife becomes even more supportive.

is this gracie seattle?

Back