BJJ Expensive

I only charge $75.00 a month and that is for 6 days a week......I wish I could charge more but the area I am in that is about as high is I could go.... for now al least until the economy gets better. Shit I wish I could charge over $100 a month....I might have go teach in L.A. County somewhere

I found out your problem,

WIFE

WIFE.jpg

Unlimited BJJ/MMA/MT/Wrestling/Nogi at my gym is $150 a month. I started cleaning mats and teaching kids classes pretty early on though to earn my keep.

There are a lot of gyms in the South and off the coasts who are making a hell of a lot of money copying the going rates of the trendsetters on the coasts.

I paid $80 unlimited in the rural South at a very reputable gym. I bet they're charging $150-180 now, because they can get away with it. There is no justification for that cost increase, as the gyms that charge that value have substantially higher costs. However, it makes sense so long as they are planning for a future where the popularity of bjj/mma dies out. Rural/low pop areas will be hurting in that scenario.

Still, the internet is full of bs. I have seen posts regarding prices of gyms I've trained at that were just baloney. For example, on the UG, there was a thread where an individual claimed my current gym costs $90 more a month than the contract specifies. There are two primary reasons for such inaccuracies:
-competitor lying and driving away business
-guy who never came in is creating an online excuse for not training--justification through the old "they charge so much, it's not worth it."
One additional excuse comes from the gym itself, but you almost never hear about it--the gym inflating their fee for douchebags. I've heard of it happening at different places I've trained at, so it is likely common.

I used to pay $100 for 3X a week until my instructor decided that was too expensive for BJJ training and changed it to $70 a month unlimited training with every day of the week having 2-3 sessions a day and one weekend class. He grew up in the favelas in Brazil where his instructor did not charge much compared to other schools.

In my experience bjj and submission grappling overall is expensive when you start to add things up. Gym fees, gi's, tourney fees, gas cost to travel to tourneys. If you factor in training for MMA then even more so.

Location plays a big part as well, but I think some gyms just overcharge. There is one place I know of that is a legitimate gym which always seems to rub me off as a mcdojo. Anyway they charge quite high yet the school is about half the size of a subway restaurant.

To sum it up before I start ranting, "sometimes" it feels like bjj,sub wrestling , mma is a sport for rich guys.

my gym is 115$ a month for unlimited Bjj, Muay Thai, Boxing. have classes 6 days a week, all day long.

7 days a week unlimited training
everday atleast 1 gi, no gi, grappling/mma class
$110

i train at a pedro affiliate, he's an awesome guy & great instructor.

watch out, bjj is like crack to some individuals, if they doubled my tuition (100+) tomorrow i would pay without blinking. If my wife complained she would be hitting the curb.

i train at a pedro affiliate, he's an awesome guy & great instructor.

watch out, bjj is like crack to some individuals, if they doubled my tuition (100+) tomorrow i would pay without blinking. If my wife complained she would be hitting the curb.

Is that your wife in your avatar ?

Train with Braulio and Victor, like the mastercard ad says 'Priceless'. Awesum gym awesum guys and awesum instructors and not bad fighters either :D

I pay 80 CAD a month. 6 BJJ classes are offered a week, 2 wrestling, 1 judo and a bunch of MT and MMA related classes that I never attend. I think it's very good value.

i currently pay 120 new zealand dollars a month to train bjj and muay thai twice a week each.the school is run by a black belt but im trained by a blue.

judo however is $115 for 6months 4 times a week one night ne-waza only under a 2nd dan blackbelt with a purple in bjj.

a mate gives me one on one sessions $20 an hour for thai and he is well qualified.

yea im leaving the mma academy soon

I pay 80 CAD a month. 6 BJJ classes are offered a week, 2 wrestling, 1 judo and a bunch of MT and MMA related classes that I never attend. I think it's very good value.

Thats not bad. Where do you train?

Back