BJJ and Judo

anothermmaguy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Since the origin of jujitsu or BJJ came from Judo, and EVERY teqnique in BJJ comes from Judo, yet Judo has throws among others, why is it most people tend to take jujitsu instead of Judo? Why isnt Judo looked at in the same light as BJJ? Everyone always said that Fedor has never take jujitsu, but why should he take BJJ when he as a Black belt in Judo?

Judo is by far the better art. Was it because of the marketing of the Gracies that put jujitsu on a different plain? Was Judo forgotten? I understand Judo is still practiced, but not like jujitsu. Everyone worries about how good someones jujitsu is?

How many of you have taken Judo? I took judo a while back and like it better then jujitsu. And all the Judo instructors bascily said that if you take Judo you will learn jujitsu but have more weapons in the arsenal.

just a thought.

Since the origin of jujitsu or BJJ came from Judo, and EVERY teqnique in BJJ comes from Judo, yet Judo has throws among others, why is it most people tend to take jujitsu instead of Judo? Why isnt Judo looked at in the same light as BJJ? Everyone always said that Fedor has never take jujitsu, but why should he take BJJ when he as a Black belt in Judo?

Judo is by far the better art. Was it because of the marketing of the Gracies that put jujitsu on a different plain? Was Judo forgotten? I understand Judo is still practiced, but not like jujitsu. Everyone worries about how good someones jujitsu is?

How many of you have taken Judo? I took judo a while back and like it better then jujitsu. And all the Judo instructors bascily said that if you take Judo you will learn jujitsu but have more weapons in the arsenal.

just a thought.

I love Judo buddy, see Sig, i think it's the most esthetically pleasing art, and i think the best Judo guys alive beat the best BJJ guys, the thing is the midlevel BJJ guys will had an advantage against the mid level Judo guys, cause they'll know more submissions... in the street, you throw someone on concrete, usually it's game over, but while training and on the mat, it usually takes more then a throw, that's where the BJJ guys a lot of time have the advantage...

Not sure if this is on topic, but the Judo black belt (teaches judo) has gotten his ass handed to him by some blue belts at the local BJJ gym.

Not sure if this is on topic, but the Judo black belt (teaches judo) has gotten his ass handed to him by some blue belts at the local BJJ gym.

that's fine, when a judo green belt i tapped BJJ purple and brown belts....

one guy beating another doesn't make one art better....

that's fine, when a judo green belt i tapped BJJ purple and brown belts....

one guy beating another doesn't make one art better....

I was just going to say the exact same thing. It's completely idiotic to take a general and vague situation (e.g. this black belt lost to this blue belt) and use that as evidence of anything. People get caught and lose--it happens. I'm a brown belt in Judo and I've rolled and tapped a few blue belts in BJJ, but I've also been caught and tapped by a really experienced white belt before, who surprised me with a hold I wasn't used to seeing. Oh, well.

BJJ takedowns. . . . there are many used not featured in Kano's book.

Better art? hmmm....bullshit. It's all in how much you put in.

Don't forget though, Judo has had a long and deeply rooted american history--ask your grandpa! Americans' just liked the striking arts better. Actually, judo enthusiasm prolly led to Karate enthusiasm, then to other shit, and now we're doing MMA

judo and jui jitsu are the same art, come from the same guy and together can be a complete system. the difference is that they stress different parts of the game. judo starts standing up; they throw and pin from the top. bjj starts on the ground, stresses submissions from guard. bjj guys use judo techniques and judo guys use bjj techniques all the time.

There are two Judo blackbelts in my BJJ class and some years down the line I plan to train Judo.

Many Judo schools focus mainly on nage-waza (throws) and neglect ne-waza (grappling) because on demands of modern competition. Probably the only difference betwenn Kosen Judo and BJJ is the training drills.

btw their are many more judoka in this world than bjj players. judo is an olympic sport and is represented by all major countries where as bjj is mostly concentrated in a few countries. they are two different arts yet have many similarities. myself being a judoka can say i like judo more because it is my preferance however no one can say one is better than the other because they are different. and people who say that yea the bjj blues can tap judo black belts, well standing up see how well some of the bjj guys do against blue and green belt judoka.

I enjoy them both as I personally feel they compliment one another. I don't think one is superior to the other.

He also might only teach sport judo.

I think Judo is awesome I would rather learn Judo than BJJ.

just a thought.

Quick correction to the idea that every BJJ technique came from Judo, and that Judo is just BJJ + throws - not true at all

The gogoplata is a good example of a BJJ technique that in no way came from Judo, I'm sure others can expound on the list

A lot of you guys are missing the boat.

Judo focuses on standup grappling, BJJ focuses on the ground. They have a lot of the same techniques, but the focus, rules and styles are completely different. If you spend 90% of your time doing throws, you think you're going to be better at grappling than the guy who does 90% on the ground?

Answer: no, you'll be better at throws, but not on the ground.

How the hell can Sherdoggers not understand math? 90 > 10.

Advanced Judo players can get tapped by BJJ blues all the time, just as Judoka can throw really good BJJers. How is this hard to comprehend?

Also, every technique from BJJ DOES NOT come from Judo. Ever since the Gracies developed BJJ it's been changing and adapting, adding new techniques that would work with the style.

If you show me some esoteric Judo polaroid from 1952 that vaguely resembles a ground technique, you've got to be joking.

Jesus H Christ, they're two different sports, and most elite Judoka don't give a shit about MMA, whereas BJJers do. Comprende?

bjj is just another name for mma. sorry - lol - saw that on an earlier thread today.

okay well first jj was first to come around and then judo was a more practical extension of that. So i dont know where the ts i got his idea from. Then bjj was kind of extension of both but still kind of its own thing. Based on my experience, ive found bjj to be far more pratical and effective. And honestly, if most fighters tend to favor bjj over judo, than that propably means its more effective than judo. Judo is good, dont get me wrong, but just in my own experience ive found bjj to be much better.

just a thought.

BJJ isn't just a part of judo, it actually EVOLVED from judo through isolation of ground technique or newaza that was taught to the gracies, so basically they were just left with a few techniques and they had to build a foundation around it.

It was actually helio that refined the submissions and leverages, there are quite a few techniques in BJJ that dont come directly from judo. BJJ is a traditional martial art, but it isnt bound by tradition, perhaps because of brazilian culture vs. japanese culture.

It is an ever growing, ever learning, ever evolving art form.

It is in a way a super refined version of the judo Newaza. The way they fight is a style in and of itself.

If you were to take both Judo and Brazilian jiu jitsu for 3 months, then you would truly understand how different they are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back