BJJ and Judo

That's often quoted, but that part of judo is very egotistical. Judo is literally THE Way. That's a very arrogant view to think that their way is the best way for everyone. Judo needs more humility. As a martial art Judo is fine, but as a way of life it is too idealistic.
It may be utopia but it is the best Judo has, imo.

It works fine in Brasil btw, a place with huge social problems where Judo stands high.

Fedor has done Judo and has compete in tournaments.

Someone said: A BJJ bluebelt will submit any Judo blackbelt on the ground.

MMA or not, Nog couldn't do anything to Fedor on the ground. Even Nog on top of Fedor.

When you compare BJJ and Judo, why not compare it in MMA?
Pure Judo rules the fight is over as soon someone lands on both the shoulders. In BJJ it's not over.
Compare it in a steetfight/MMA, because there you really see what the strongest art is.

Ok fine...

Big Nog > Nastula
Lil Nog > Nak
Wandy > Yoshida x 2
Wandy > Nak
Shogun > Nak
Wallid > S. Oyama
Ryan Gracie > S. Oyama
Bustamante > Yoon Sik
Diego > Karo

Now I'm sure with a little research you could find instances where a judoka has beaten a bjj player which just illustrates how futile and retarded this argument really is

That isn't exactly true. Judo is a very competitive sport. The atmosphere of Judo schools are generally more structured and refined than BJJ, but that doesn't mean that its sole purpose is to build better people. Prove your claim and we'll go for it.
Like I said, in Brasil Judo is just a sport and never is related to fighting, never !

It is impossible one fight for a Judo school, if he tries he will be banned.

Because of it Judo is much bigger than BJJ in Brasil, i mean 10 times or more.

See the example of Nog brothers, they have 15 years of Judo, more than they have in BJJ.

They never deny they are Judo BB but never say they fight for it.

I def agree both are great arts. But everyone always go to kimura v helio. Now helio modified everything to what we now know as bjj. The thing is Kimura is the GREATEST judoka ever. Now Helio a legend certainly is not the greatest bjj practitioner ever right? add to the fact he was outweighed by what? 40 lbs? His modifications enabled him to fight off the greatest judoka ever longer than anyone ever thought he could.

Actually, its only BJJ'ers who think Kimura is the greatest judoka ever. Judoka generally choose Mifune or Yamashita for that, or the founder Kano(check up on the polls in any judo site if you don't believe me).

However, the main thing people should get out of watching Kimura vs Helio is how outdated both look. BJJ has advanced groundwork a lot since the 50's, and judo has advanced throwing a lot since then. Against a modern BJJ'er, the 1950's Helio would lose fast. Against a modern judoka, the 1950's Kimura would lose fast. It'd be like taking Spitfires and Messerschmidts from the Battle of Britain and trying to fight F-15's ... groundwork and throws have advanced a lot since then. Of course, both of them would probably pick up the new stuff if given a chance, but I doubt that either, with the techniques they had in the 50's, could win even a single match against todays international level competitors in their art.

In fact, you could argue that the problem with judo ground work and BJJ standing techniques is that they haven't advanced ... BJJ standing techniques are like judo was in the 50's, judo groundwork is like BJJ was in the 50's. Both are really outdated.

fortunately both groups are starting to work on both now as they're becoming more rounded.

Well other than some closeminded overly traditional gyms, which I would consider more of museums than actual gyms :p

oh and score Im a bluebelt!

Back