BJ Penn

Penn had all these fancy tricks that I had never seen before, and I used to box a bit growing up (nothing serious, but boxing is very big where I’m from)…

Against St. Pierre he actually pulls St. Pierre’s guard down with his left hand to land his uppercut early in the fight (Usman did something similar in his rematch with Masvidal). It was pretty bad ass.

8125D8AD-CF57-4C17-9024-7B8AD2290B41.gif

It wasn’t until Taylor/Abraham where I saw that technique utilized/attempted in boxing.

Against Din Thomas, he turns a missed left-hook into a collar tie (a Bernard Hopkins favorite) and uses it to land a knee…

SpanishAgileCero-size_restricted.gif

I was never a big fan of his, but you can’t deny how good he was back in the day.

I agree with Anderson Silva putting BJ on the mount Rushmore of MMA and with GSP saying that BJ was the most complete fighter on his era.

Outstanding take down defense, Best jab in MMA, strong chin, black belt level BJJ, great boxing skills, heavy handed etc...

I think if BJ paid for a therapy for early success struggles, he can easily be the greatest p4p of all time.

I watched the fight with Machida and I was speechless.

Who you think is or was more complete than BJ?

It is a good way to gauge how good an MMA fighter was by what those other current MMA fighters at that time thought about a fighter like BJ Penn. They all knew what he was and could do and for his size. Same was said about Fedor and everyone knew.

Because Khabib stopped early, or maybe just on time, all the crappy later generations can only attack what opponents he fought and that he quit too early.

Last edited:
It is a good way to gauge how good an MMA fighter was by what those other current MMA fighters at that time thought about a fighter like BJ Penn. They all knew what he was and could do and for his size. Same was said about Fedor and everyone knew.

Because Khabib stopped early, or maybe just on time, all the crappy later generations can only attack what opponents he fought and that he quit too early.
Khabib is doing all the right things.

BJ Penn is the only LW ever with a solid chance to beat Khabib.
You are going to get a lot of hate for this post, dude. Khabib is to freaking strong so I dont know about this one. I never doubted prime BJ against anybody, though.

So, you couldn't post in the thread that is already on the front page on the same subject? You had to make a new thread for your special opinion. Lol, Sherdog, never change.

Reactions: Dao
Good point. Prime BJ has great wins galore. You need to understand the context. Once you factor in that he arguably beat Edgar and GSP, and should have beaten Uno as well, his resume (excluding the post-Diaz slide) looks even better. A terrifying man.
Well, yeah, if you turn 3 of his losses/draws into wins, and remove the 6 losses he suffered after the Nick Diaz beatdow, his resume does look better :D

But seriously, the first Frankie Edgar rematch 4 months after the 1st bout showed that "The Answer" had him outmatched everywhere.

The BJ fanatics here could live with him being 0-2 against GSP, because "t'was at WW, unfair advantage, St-Pierre=weight bully, picking on poor lil BJ like that! Matt Hughes too, they should be ashamed! "
But when he went 0-3 against FW Frankie, that was the end of that era... Edgar was just more talented, and had way better boxing.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Even if the BJ bandwagon was notoriously annoying, it was still sad to watch Penn take loss after loss in the octagon. The one time I was really happy to watch him get pummeled was both GSP fights, because BJ had run his mouth waaaay too much before those bouts.
Plus, that eyepoke in the first round of the first fight could have seriously fucked Georges' career up <{cruzshake}>

It was still sad to watch all those subsequent beatings =>

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

<{hughesimpress}> that was just sad man, no one wanted to see that...

Last edited:
BJ in 2007 or 2008 beats any lightweight that ever lived.

I clicked on this thread because I thought he might be motivated again

leaving disappointed

BJ is good, but never had it in him to dominate the division like he should've. By the time he wanted too it was too late. A sad story because he could've been next to Gsp and Silva.

About 10 years ago a friend of mine met Randy Couture, he asked him who is the best fighter ever and Randy told him... don't know about the best ever, but BJ Penn is the most talented.

giphy.gif

Be careful, someone may be looking for you !?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back