BJ Penn

Penn was 32/33 years old when he was robbed against Edgar. Started the losing streak in his mid 30s. Prime Penn only lost to GSP, Machida, and Hughes. All at least a weight class bigger than him.

If he retired when he should've before the Diaz fight, he'd probably get the props he deserves.
Penn had all these fancy tricks that I had never seen before, and I used to box a bit growing up (nothing serious, but boxing is very big where I’m from)…

Against St. Pierre he actually pulls St. Pierre’s guard down with his left hand to land his uppercut early in the fight (Usman did something similar in his rematch with Masvidal). It was pretty bad ass.

8125D8AD-CF57-4C17-9024-7B8AD2290B41.gif

It wasn’t until Taylor/Abraham where I saw that technique utilized/attempted in boxing.

Against Din Thomas, he turns a missed left-hook into a collar tie (a Bernard Hopkins favorite) and uses it to land a knee…

SpanishAgileCero-size_restricted.gif

I was never a big fan of his, but you can’t deny how good he was back in the day.
what's really awesome about a lot of that ...
Pure instinct

Reactions: Dao
I agree...what does he have to prove...at a certain time it just only gets worse with age.
Idle hands dude
It happens to a lot of people but particularly in hawaii, specifically the big island. Have you ever been ? Place is like Billings Montana only prettier
Penn had decided that's his home forever and will never even move to Oahu He's not a talker, not overly bright.....just a fighter
Hawaii has one of the highest rates for meth addiction in the entire country

Idle hands dude
It happens to a lot of people but particularly in hawaii, specifically the big island. Have you ever been ? Place is like Billings Montana only prettier
Penn had decided that's his home forever and will never even move to Oahu He's not a talker, not overly bright.....just a fighter
Hawaii has one of the highest rates for meth addiction in the entire country
I don't get it, though. Such a beautiful country and people and culture.

I don't get it, though. Such a beautiful country and people and culture.

Things don't seem as they appear often

I live here It comes down to socioeconomics and other boring topics It boils down to there not being much options here for the majority Everything is built around tourism The state feels locals should be lucky to live here so pay the premium and shaddup (lol) The Micronesians live here Scott free for WWII era transgressions

'aloha spirit' is a sham to attract more tourists

there are a lot of positives here too I'm just serving you the real skinny about this place no one talks about

My dream fight would involve prime BJ and prime Conor

I think BJ smokes him inside a round

for his time and in his prime he was up with the best. he just stuck around the party way too long. hurt his legacy when his skills diminished. same with chuck

I agree with Anderson Silva putting BJ on the mount Rushmore of MMA and with GSP saying that BJ was the most complete fighter on his era.

Outstanding take down defense, Best jab in MMA, strong chin, black belt level BJJ, great boxing skills, heavy handed etc...

I think if BJ paid for a therapy for early success struggles, he can easily be the greatest p4p of all time.

I watched the fight with Machida and I was speechless.

Who you think is or was more complete than BJ?
Bj was a legend during his era. Record doesn't reflect it, but he was one of th first succesfull two martial art kinda guy

In his prime I do agree that… he was the most complete for his time.

however the power of offensive wrestling just has no parallel so I can’t say he’s on the same level as gsp

BJ in 2007 or 2008 beats any lightweight that ever lived.
WeepySpotlessBubblefish-max-1mb.gif

this man is a natural athlete a monster, even Anderson Silva a great Fighter can recognize that he is the GOAT.

it's very sad that he didn't take his career seriously, but every hardcore fan knows he's the best LW that ever lived in this world in MMA.

WeepySpotlessBubblefish-max-1mb.gif

this man is a natural athlete a monster, even Anderson Silva a great Fighter can recognize that he is the GOAT.

it's very sad that he didn't take his career seriously, but every hardcore fan knows he's the best LW that ever lived in this world in MMA.
Well that shows you his mentality in itself
He basically rested on his laurels

Back