BJ Penn

As usual, people who saw BJ at the tail end of his career are clueless to when he was the only guy mentioned in the same breath as Fedor.
All fighters of that era revered Fedor and BJ Penn, and for good reason.

There's a reason why GSP got his status elevated so much after their fights.

If I had said, around 2009, "I think Clay Guida would beat BJ, honestly", I would get flamed to hell.

If I had added "with striking", I would getv carded for trolling, probably.

To this day, I still think BJ won his fight against Frankie Edgar the first time they met. Had he gotten the nod, I think we would have gotten Penn vs Maynard and Penn vs Henderson.

Among the UFC/Pride Lightweight Champions, Penn has 7 top ten wins at Lightweight, which is tied 2nd all-time in the division with Alvarez and Henderson.
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...st-top-10-ranked-wins-at-lightweight.4147383/

Overall, Penn has 9 top ten wins across all divisions, which is the 4th most out of the seven multi-division champions.
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...ith-least-to-most-top-10-ranked-wins.4191848/

The Ludwig win might not count on FightMatrix because it was at welterweight, but BJ finished him in under two minutes after Ludwig knocked out Pulver, the 2x defending UFC champion. Another impressive win for Penn’s resume.

SpanishWebbedAcornweevil-max-1mb.gif

If I had said, around 2009, "I think Clay Guida would beat BJ, honestly", I would get flamed to hell.

If I had added "with striking", I would getv carded for trolling, probably.
Clay was a madman with an insane cardio, and strong chin.

BJ only flaw was cardio so I see what you saying.

Penn was 32/33 years old when he was robbed against Edgar. Started the losing streak in his mid 30s. Prime Penn only lost to GSP, Machida, and Hughes. All at least a weight class bigger than him.

If he retired when he should've before the Diaz fight, he'd probably get the props he deserves.

Agreed. He was hosed in the Uno rematch too. One could argue he did just enough to edge HW Machida.

My first account got banned for simply pointing out the irony of Penn quitting in the GSP rematch despite being "serious" about fighting "to the death" in the lead up; back then that Penn-obsessed mod would've ended your account before other Sherdoggers got the chance to flame you <Lmaoo>.

Edit: The mod was Positive Balance.

Last edited:
My first account got banned for simply pointing out the irony of Penn quitting in the GSP rematch despite being "serious" about fighting "to the death" in the lead up; back then that Penn-obsessed mod would've ended your account before other Sherdoggers got the chance to flame you <Lmaoo>.
I got banned from another MMA forum for saying prime wand loved Mexican vitamins<45>

The Ludwig win might not count on FightMatrix because it was at welterweight, but BJ finished him in under two minutes after Ludwig knocked out Pulver, the 2x defending UFC champion. Another impressive win for Penn’s resume.

Ludwig was the #2 Lightweight at the time of the fight, but because the fight was contested at Welterweight I didn't count it as part of Penn's Lightweight resume (I used this same methodology for all the fighters listed in those threads).

Good point. Prime BJ has great wins galore. You need to understand the context. Once you factor in that he arguably beat Edgar and GSP, and should have beaten Uno as well, his resume (excluding the post-Diaz slide) looks even better. A terrifying man.

Ludwig was the #2 Lightweight at the time of the fight, but because the fight was contested at Welterweight I didn't count it as part of Penn's Lightweight resume (I used this same methodology for all the fighters listed in those threads).
don’t mind me @acannxr I know you do excellent research for your threads :cool:

Just BJ postin’ :cool:

0rLpF.gif

st pierre was obviously the more complete fighter

but prime BJ would disfigure khabib

JUST SCRAP, BABY

it's sad that he had such a rapid and steep downfall

Won't be surprised if they post the gif of him being ko by his friend.

It's as ubiquitous in these threads as the Aldo/Conor gif is in any Aldo thread. They have nothing to contribute that's worthwhile. It's a shame.

Back