BJ PENN TRAINED 3 TIMES A WEEK?

For sure i'm over trained. I give recovery it's respect. I do the sauna everyday, nothing but cold showers and an ice bath 1-2 times a week.
I tried adding in a 2nd rest day but like I said I have no life so I just get way too bored.
The sparring is mild-medium intensity. Everything else is pretty high pace though.
You would probably have better overall results with more rest days. High intensity to me is burn outs. You can't do that on 6 days a week. 2 times a day trainings schedule. Because that type of intensity and work rate requires more recovery time. You should try added rest days and see if you don't feel stronger, faster, more conditioned from the extra recovery time for your body. A fight is 3 or 5 rounds at 5 minutes each round. I do my training more for that type of intensity/pace. If I'm doing boxing training then I focus on that type of pacing/intensity. from boxing rounds and length.

Last edited:
Not really lol. People could simplify that and not have to train as much and get the same or better results. You are not training hard intensity 6 days a week 2 times a day with strength and conditioning included with no PEDs lol. If you are able to, science would like to study your body and see why your body recovers so fast.

Do you do better with information overload? Would you work better having to work 6 days a week 2 times a day or 5 days a week with 2 days of training just 1 day a week? Think of training as school and only having 1 day off. Wouldn't you think that's too much work and information overload? How much do you expect to retain studying like that? Less days, with more focus is always better than 6 days just going through the motions and not really retaining everything.

This is why some people pick things up faster and require less time to learn the same things or be able to do the same things. They train/learn differently. If someone does something in less time you shouldn't say what they are doing is wrong, instead you should see what they are doing different. Because they obviously figured something out to speed up the process.

Sure thing bud.

You would probably have better overall results with more rest days. High intensity to me is burn outs. You can't do that on 6 days a week. 2 times a day trainings schedule. Because that type of intensity and work rate requires more recovery time. You should try added rest days and see if you don't feel stronger, faster, more conditioned from the extra recovery time for your body. A fight is 3 or 5 rounds at 5 minutes each round. I do my training more for that type of intensity/pace. If I'm doing boxing training then I focus on that type of pacing/intensity. from boxing rounds and length.

I agree with you.
I've found I perform much better with less training, however I learn less. I'm really focused on mat hours.
I'm not really training for an event or to be a fighter. It's just my favorite thing to do.

All and all its not too bad.
12x Grappling (BJJ/Judo/Wrestling) a week
3X sports specific strength training a week
3X 12 rounds boxing or kickboxing a week.

Last edited:
What accomplishments??? His biggest win streak was 5... 5 fucking wins... LOL.. Held whatever belt he won for 10 secs because like I said he had no heart to keep working in the gym and push himself.

He has 14 LOSSES and 16 WINS.. he is a .500 fighter.. I know this is where you use " he wasn't motivated in his losses ", " oh he was so tough fighting outside his weight class " excuse.. No was he was a lazy fuck that didn't like adversity. the dude had no heart and is overrated
Damn you’re a straight hater. The man became a two weight champ being lazy just that is enough for him to be in legend tier in mma.

I maintain that version of BJ Penn is the goat LW. He was a totally different animal
With what he presented skill wise and having the conditioning to sustain I think he'd have beaten any version of khabib - definitely earlier versions.

Too bad he only had it in him to do two camps. If you can find it online Nick Curson went got in to the reasons why Marv and Gary left camp for the first Frankie fight (basically it boiled down to Penn not wanting to be disciplined and wanting to ease up on the s & c; it was also the first camp that he had Gary and Marv go to Hilo - the first two were in California).

If you get the chance read Marv's book ProBodX (proper body exercise) - it is out of print and pricey if you can find it (there are other ways to read it though). If you read through it you'll have an understanding of why Penn looked so good (combined with his natural taltent and skills).

Rest is just as important as training
if you're a professional athlete you have 24hrs to train, rest/recover and nothing else.

If you're getting tired it's because you have outside distractions. Notice how the issue of being too tired to spar never came up when he was doing those 2 camps in California but as soon as he decided to switch back to Hilo and Bring Marv and Gary there suddenly he was too tired to spar and wanting to ease off the s&c.

From all accounts as soon as Penn brought it up Marv and Gary decided to leave.

BJ Penn is notoriously lazy.
BJ Penn was notoriously rich and it is a miracle he ever became a fighter in the first place when he could have lived on trust fund money. Very few fighters make the top like him then take on crazy risks like fighting a young Lyoto Machida or Prime Gsp at ww. His career and whole aura is feast or famine, go big or go home, but when he was on and motivated he was as brilliant a fighter as you will ever see.

“I train six days, actually six days a week. Five days a week, I'll train three days a week. ...

<{Joewithit}>

if you're a professional athlete you have 24hrs to train, rest/recover and nothing else.

If you're getting tired it's because you have outside distractions. Notice how the issue of being too tired to spar never came up when he was doing those 2 camps in California but as soon as he decided to switch back to Hilo and Bring Marv and Gary there suddenly he was too tired to spar and wanting to ease off the s&c.

Yeah but if you're training hard, for example lifting weights or doing high intensity grappling, the muscles will need more than 24h to recover, I ran track and field and did football(soccer) as the muricans call it simultaneously, 1h30 of football and 1h30-2h track and field 4-5 times a week and a football game every Saturday when we were in season. I was fucking destroyed every time I got home but it was doable, because we didn't do any type of weight lifting since I was quite young at the time, fast forward to me being 17 and switching to mma only, I was grappling/striking, doing strength and conditioning once or twice a week and it was honestly worse than track and football combined, mma is way more taxing on your muscles than just running and kicking a ball. So it's always weird to me how these supposed clean athletes can train 6 times a week multiple times a day hard, either they are lying about the frequency and intensity of their training or they're not as clean as many die hard sports fans would like to think.

Who told you something so silly? Lol

He was called The Prodigy and people talked about "motivated BJ Penn" for a reason. He was just naturally a freak when it came to MMA in spite of everything.

Yeah but if you're training hard, for example lifting weights or doing high intensity grappling, the muscles will need more than 24h to recover.
And it's not just the muscles; it's the joints, the bones, and everything else that might, upon injury, send you to the orthopedist. Regularly training had on consecutive days is a good recipe for muscle damage, early arthritis, constant stress fractures, torn ligaments, and more. If you're overtraining cardio then you're also at meaningfully increased risk for just about every heart problem you can imagine. All for negative performance improvement. Find an MMA fighter with a career not ended by injury early on, who never reached potential, and is a cripple in retirement and you've found an overtrainer.

Back