BJ PENN TRAINED 3 TIMES A WEEK?

Fedor5723

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I was looking up some old JD Penn (Penn's brother) and Todd Marinovich ( Penn's S&C coach) stuff about 3 weeks ago. Most fighters train 3 to 2 times a day 6 days a week. But I read somewhere BJ trained 3 times a Week? No supplements and no special diet.. Any truth to that? Can someone dig up the article? This makes BJ the true GOAT.

Edit: Ironically BJ Penn just posted this on his Instagram!Screenshot_20211205-185508_Instagram.jpg

Cliffs: Basically saying he thought training was always supposed to reach a goal and didn't know it has benefits on its own especially mentally.

Last edited:
He wasn't motivated enough to train.

He also learned from Iverson
practice-weainttalkinaboutthegame.gif

Are you surprised?

one of my favorite memories about him is watching an embedded of him walking on a treadmill and someone I was with getting up out of their seat and saying “BOOM that right there…that’s why he loses fights he should win, walking on the treadmill!!” <mma4><Dany07>

I was looking up some old JD Penn (Penn's brother) and Todd Marinovich ( Penn's S&C coach) stuff about 3 weeks ago. Most fighters train 3 to 2 times a day 6 days a week. But I read somewhere BJ trained 3 times a Week? No supplements and no special diet.. Any truth to that? Can someone dig up the article? This makes BJ the true GOAT.
It makes him lazy.

Look at how he looked with Marv and Gary - he was dial'd in and a fucking killer with the conditioning to match the skills.

Gary and Marv left early in the camp for Frankie (1st fight) because Penn, allegedly, told them if they could take it easy with the s&c because he was feeling too tired to do sparring. This was also the first camp that gary and marv came to Hilo for. So we can assume Penn was back to his old ways and was tired from other things and not the proper s&c that gary & marv had him doing.

it was still a fledgling sport when bj started.

He was one of the rare early athletes that didn't need to work multiple jobs because his family had cash. But yeah, most guys weren't making a living doing this and the access to training was limited. There weren't a ton of high quality MMA gyms back then so there wasn't nearly as much competition or the level of competition there is today.
Not to say there weren't killers at the top, like BJ, but yeah you could get away with less dedication back then.

a lot of the things that people always say "if only they didn't/did do this, they'd be great" is also why they're as good as they are. it's a double edged sword. like Jon Jones and his habitual criminality. people always say "if he wasn't such a fuck up he could be the undoubted GOAT" but the problem is, that don't give a fuck attitude outside of the ring is also what makes him good inside of the ring.

same with BJ. the things that makes him wild and crazy outside of the ring, is also what makes him wild and crazy inside of it. nobody is perfect and a lot of times your gift is your curse too.

You really don't need to train that much. Better to train less with more intensity. You are training for a fight that is 5 mins for 3 or 5 rounds, not for a fight of 6 days 2 times a day. Without PEDs you can't train that much with any real high intensity. Your body wouldn't be able to recover fast enough. That means to train like that you would be training a low intensity and mostly going through the motions just to prevent over training. If you look at boxers training they don't train like that. They run in the morning and they'll spar/pad work in the afternoon. Adding any real strength and conditioning work to that type of 6 days a week 2 times a day schedule is just asking for over training without PEDs. Any real strength and conditioning work would require more recovery time if done naturally.

People will say they need to learn as much as they can so they are working on techniques during that time. Which is understandable, but from what I see, most teach the same stuff all week so it's just repetitive training mostly. If you can pick up on things faster, you don't really need to train 6 days a week 2 times a day. But if that's what they feel they need then that's what people will do. I do better training less with more focus and intensity in my training sessions instead. I like to train how I fight, so I don't like low intensity work because that's not how I fight. I want my training to be able to transfer into my actual fighting style.

It makes him lazy.

Look at how he looked with Marv and Gary - he was dial'd in and a fucking killer with the conditioning to match the skills.

Gary and Marv left early in the camp for Frankie (1st fight) because Penn, allegedly, told them if they could take it easy with the s&c because he was feeling too tired to do sparring. This was also the first camp that gary and marv came to Hilo for. So we can assume Penn was back to his old ways and was tired from other things and not the proper s&c that gary & marv had him doing.
You are comparing BJ at the later part of his career. Should focus more before that time, even before training with Marv & Gary. That's why people call him the Prodigy. Yes he probably worked less than he needed to during that time, but we are talking about his training before that time.

Jones for example is another fighter that doesn't train 6 days a week 2 times a day. Not everyone trains the same way. Floyd beat a lot of people just running and doing push-ups, sit ups, and some light bag/pad work here and there.

He was a lazy fatty.. that's why he fought out of his weight class a lot..

Before his body was consumed by alcohol and coke he was a hell of a fighter.. Sometimes..

Back