• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News BJ Penn Arrested, released on suspicion of DUI , video shows belligerent encounter

bj slowly goin' the way of mayhem miller.

I
Threads like this are a grim reminder. The sadness of wasted human potential. The realization that this sport is full of troubled people. And the truth that we are all irreversibly aging.

It depends on the fighter, some can accept retirement, and age gracefully, and imo, it seems to be based on their character when they fought in their primes.

Guys like Penn, Pulver, Ricky Hatton, extremely emotional, highly addicted to the limelight, and they're all suffering now in their retirement; whereas you look at someone like GSP, Marvin Hagler, Lennox Lewis,....quiet, never talked trash, very even keeled, and are doing fine in their retirement after fighting.

Its the fighters who get addicted to the fame of it all, and of course what comes with it,....but once it goes away, they are helpless, Mark Kerr, another example of someone who just couldn't handle not being the man anymore, sad as fuck.

It depends on the fighter, some can accept retirement, and age gracefully, and imo, it seems to be based on their character when they fought in their primes.

Guys like Penn, Pulver, Ricky Hatton, extremely emotional, highly addicted to the limelight, and they're all suffering now in their retirement; whereas you look at someone like GSP, Marvin Hagler, Lennox Lewis,....quiet, never talked trash, very even keeled, and are doing fine in their retirement after fighting.

Yes, it's interesting how things play out after the fighting is done. It makes you think about nature vs nurture. The importance of upbringing, formative experiences, and whether people can truly change their character. GSP, Lennox, Hagler - those guys were calm, classy people before they ever got into combat sports. They were raised right.

I remember Lennox Lewis' appearance on the Joe Rogan podcast a couple years ago. His quiet, innate confidence was very impressive. He had no need to dominate the conversation. The comedian Russell Peters was with them and a lot of times Lennox just listened and let others speak. As a former champion, he obviously holds a very high opinion of himself. But he didn't have to prove it by talking over the others in the room.

Meanwhile, BJ Penn has become yet another cautionary tale about fighters with unaddressed mental issues. It seems like he is always going to have a huge chip on his shoulder.

There's winning in the arena, and there's winning in life. One doesn't necessarily translate to the other.

Last edited:
https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/1/...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn is again in trouble with the law.

Penn was arrested on Jan. 23 in Honokaa, Hawaii, on suspicion of DUI after police received a reckless driver complaint, Hawaii County Police Department spokesperson Denise Laitinen confirmed to MMA Fighting. Penn was later released pending an investigation. Laitinen declined to provide additional details on Penn’s arrest and blood-alcohol level.

Penn was not immediately reachable for comment, and a Penn family rep, Gary Levitt, did not immediately return a request for comment.

Word of Penn’s arrest comes after a video surfaced on Monday that appeared to show a belligerent Penn being put in a police car.

<mma4>

have you never heard penn talk before?

or an asian?
That's pidgin English, the language that was used in Hawaii when immigrants from around the world touched down in the islands. From Portugal, England, Philippines, Japan, China, South Americas, Spanish, even as far as Puerto Ricans immigration to the island to work on cane fields, they only had one way of communication, broken English who is modern day evolved into a creole type language of the pacific. Not just "an Asian." As you claim.

Penn was calling the dude videoing him basically a mainlander. Natives hate mainlanders

That's pidgin English, the language that was used in Hawaii when immigrants from around the world touched down in the islands. From Portugal, England, Philippines, Japan, China, South Americas, Spanish, even as far as Puerto Ricans immigration to the island to work on cane fields, they only had one way of communication, broken English who is modern day evolved into a creole type language of the pacific. Not just "an Asian." As you claim.
i never claimed it was "asian". the guy i quoted did.

im born and raised in honolulu and speak two asians.

So very sad to see...

Like others mentioned, he apparently use to abuse drugs badly and the only thing that stopped him was training.

The CTE and past drug abuse are really starting to show
also, him not having fighting anymore, he would 100% be abusing drugs again.
Sad.. I feel it's just going to get worse and worse

i never claimed it was "asian". the guy i quoted did.

im born and raised in honolulu and speak two asians.
Whoops, I read it wrong. I get it now, it's just weird reading and watching people react to Bj Penns accent. I'm used to it, My significant other who is the mother of my child is from Hawaii, her brothers talk very similar(pidgin) when they are around their family members, but in public and when talking to my family or friends they switch it off and speak as close to proper English as possible. It doesn't change that they sound Jamaican at times.

Weird, bj penn gets arrested at the same time as Nik Lentz retires from mma. Loool.

Hawaii really doesn't give a shit about DUI's compared to damn near everywhere else in the world.

I remember our old premier up here (think snow Governor) Gordon Campbell got busted drinking and driving on vacation out there about 20 years ago and it just highlighted the fact that if he'd done that anywhere else in Canada (and the States?) he'd have been charged with a felony! I think he just had to pay a fine and stayed in office somehow. Crazy to think that the law hasn't changed out in Hawaii, although when I find myself out there for work it's rare for me to have a sober moment. Love me a Lava Flow...

Back