• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BJ Penn ain't done with Khabib yet

Izzy isn't huge and hasn't had problems making weight . Nor is anyone in his camp saying he tosses heavyweights around and never loses to anyone
Sounds like sour grapes to me bud

Penn used to really annoy me. I still say he is vastly overrated, and Khabib would’ve marked him in both their primes, but I have to give him hi s due. He quite clearly is a real fighter. I think his post-retirement antics clearly shows this. He simply can’t function without fisticuffs. My God, he will probably be drug out of this world with clenched fists, shadow boxing off his back in some Hilo hospital muttering, “To the death world, To The Death”.

Its true, Khabibs wrestl8ng mostly relies on him being physically larger and stronger than his oponents. We've seen it time and time again. For the most part in wrestling the stronger, bigger, younger man wins.

BJ is sounding really insecure here by claiming Khabib's BJJ isn't good. Maybe in a Gi but by accounts, his no-gi grappling is high level. Prior to UFC, he had a ton of submission wins off his back. There's footage of him dominating top BJJ guys like Leandro Vieira. Josh Thompson mentioned that Khabib and Islam spend a ton of time training submissions off their back. Interesting considering they almost never end up on their backs because their wrestling is so dominant. Unfortunately there are aspects of Khabib's grappling we'll never get to see.

BJ on the other hand got tapped in seconds by Ryan Hall so maybe he needs to focus more on his own BJJ game.
Ryan Hall has tapped a lot of people.

Size still matters. This guy would not KO a LHW or HW doubt a MW as well

BJ is missing the point

Khabib destroyed better fighters than BJ faces and BJ record at LW is terrible. I give him props for fighting larger guys (khabib was usually same size or a little smaller than an opponent) but that isnt Khabib fault he is saying factually he is the best LW ever and that is true

BJ record is 16-14-2 could easily of lost those draws and be 16-16

BJ also has a losing record at LW last I checked
BJ has a longer losing streak than winning streak
BJ record if you subtract cans is 13-14-2

Khabibs record without can crushing is like 17-0

Adesyana did this but I dont blame him and he lost at a higher weight class by decision at that. Not so bad

At MW he is steamrolling
This guy summarizes all the myths about BJJ, good fighter with some good years, mediocre record , his best achievement was to lost to bigger guys

Don't think so. Conor's boxing was on another level at some point
Huh,

He never had good boxing - it was one thing he did well as far as skills and that was pull and counter. His main weapon was getting people angry so they forget any type of game plan they had and went in emotional.

Penn knew how to use work off a jab and never over extended himself or rushed in chin first. If he is conditioned he beats up and frustrates conor with his jab then takes him down and submits him.

You'd think the myth and hyperbole of conor being some great boxer would have ended when he looked clueless and like a buffoon in the Floyd fight.

He got lay 'n prayed so hard he quit on the stool {<jordan}
And during their first fight, BJ eyepoked GSP in the opening minutes, so St-Pierre fought with only one eye. Still 2-0 against your boyo

His corner called it.

So what do you think about Izzy moving up to fight Jan? Cos everyone on this forum laughed at him for trying to move up.
I think it was dope. I was even more impressive he did not cut weight or even make the 205 mark. That is that true OG Sakuraba shit, true warrior spirit and a throwback to the golden era, and what this game should be all about but.

What has happened is fans fall in love with certain fighters now and don't want to see them lose and get trolled Sherdog, more so than them putting on the most epic fight ever vs a bad matchup but taking a loss in the process. They do not care about pressing the limits and going to war to please JBG, they just do not want their guy to get meme'd on Sherdog, and, to also have the ability to meme and troll the fighters they do not like. For example: imagine the Khasuals if Khabib tapped out to Poirier after Hitto and the bath-tub-boys fueled their souls off 'McTappers' getting choked by Nate Memes for two years?! These type fans would much rather 'take my ball and go home' when they finally get the lead versus finishing out the whole game.

I think it was dope. I was even more impressive he did not cut weight or even make the 205 mark. That is that true OG Sakuraba shit, true warrior spirit and a throwback to the golden era, and what this game should be all about but.

What has happened is fans fall in love with certain fighters now and don't want to see them lose and get trolled Sherdog, more so than them putting on the most epic fight ever vs a bad matchup but taking a loss in the process. They do not care about pressing the limits and going to war to please JBG, they just do not want their guy to get meme'd on Sherdog, and, to also have the ability to meme and troll the fighters they do not like. For example: imagine the Khasuals if Khabib tapped out to Poirier after Hitto and the bath-tub-boys fueled their souls off 'McTappers' getting choked by Nate Memes for two years?! These type fans would much rather 'take my ball and go home' when they finally get the lead versus finishing out the whole game.
Getting out of the game while the getting's good is awesome. I admire Lennox Lewis and GSP so much.

BJ aint no 145er. He looked like death walkin out there against Frankie in the 3rd fight.
Max Holloway walks around at 180+. BJ Penn maxed out at 168 for his GSP fight. BJ is actually kind of a small featherweight to be honest, atleast by modern standards. Khabib, Tony, Kevin Lee all cut 40 pounds or more to make lightweight from their natty weight, so 20 pounds cut it not much. He just did not fight Frankie @ '45, he fought Siver and Yair too. He simply looked older, because that is what happens as time goes by, especially when you drink and party like him.

BJ is right. Khabib's style is meant for him to be the he sheet constantly and not the nail. A bigger, stronger wrestler like Usman would screw Khabib.

in b4

giphy.gif
I never thought this was a knock on BJ. This was more so a lesson that a big, untrained man is still dangerous and can knock out a person if given the chance.

Max Holloway walks around at 180+. BJ Penn maxed out at 168 for his GSP fight. BJ is actually kind of a small featherweight to be honest, atleast by modern standards. Khabib, Tony, Kevin Lee all cut 40 pounds or more to make lightweight from their natty weight, so 20 pounds cut it not much. He just did not fight Frankie @ '45, he fought Siver and Yair too. He simply looked older, because that is what happens as time goes by, especially when you drink and party like him.
lmao hes a 135er!!!!!!!!!!

lmao hes a 135er!!!!!!!!!!

That is a strawman, all I said was Tony and Khabib cut 40 pounds, and that Max walks at 180+. Here are the sources:

https://mmaimports.com/2017/12/two-weeks-khabib-still-30-pounds-lightweight-limit/

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/4/...triking-distance-of-making-weight-for-ufc-223

Naturally, the larger you are the more pounds you can lose as it is about %, not over all pounds. And yes, if BJ wanted, he could likely make 135 - whether or not that would be optimal for his performance is another matter.

The game has changed alot, mon frère, and yesterdays lightweights are now todays bantamweights (Frankie Edgar) and so fourth.

Huh,

He never had good boxing - it was one thing he did well as far as skills and that was pull and counter. His main weapon was getting people angry so they forget any type of game plan they had and went in emotional.

Penn knew how to use work off a jab and never over extended himself or rushed in chin first. If he is conditioned he beats up and frustrates conor with his jab then takes him down and submits him.

You'd think the myth and hyperbole of conor being some great boxer would have ended when he looked clueless and like a buffoon in the Floyd fight.
was on another level in the octagon, obviously would never beat Floyd or any elite boxer

Getting out of the game while the getting's good is awesome. I admire Lennox Lewis and GSP so much.
I am sure you do admire them, i do too, but for the sake of GOAT conversations, history will not look kindly upon them. There is a reason Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson are considered GOAT's, yet both competed far past their prime and went out on losses.

If a fighter wants to take that route, fine. The issue is with the fans who crap on fighters that do compete past their prime or take on huge challenges, like going up multiple weight classes or taking on stylistic nightmares vs cherry picking. This cherry picking phenomenon to keep spotless records was what made boxing die, and it has polluted MMA over the past few decades as well. I do not blame fighters for being so afraid to take on BJ Penn like challenges either when the fans act as they do - I get why GSP and Khabib bounced as they did vs risking becoming a meme and being embarrassed.

*Also, peculiar GSP said he bounced owing to trying to prevent brain damage, but now he wants to box, which is the sport where you get the most brain damage......o_O Why doesn't he just fight Usman instead and save himself the head trauma? (I think you know why that will not happen)

His corner called it.

Indeed, but I never let the truth get in the way of a good-natured ribbing. <BC1>

But IIRC, when Reagan asked him he wanted to go back in there with St-Pierre, BJ just stared in the void avoiding looking in his eyes ; and he didn't protest the towel throwing, just kept staring into space.

That's the equivalent of giving your neck to your opponent because of the bullshit stigma around tapping to strikes.

But for real, I'm giving BJ a hard time because of the pre-fight "TO TEH DEATH GEORGE!!" and saying that he was seriously going to try to kill him... and the following lawsuit from his mom because "they locked him up with a monster" was just cherry on top.

But usually I'm the first to say that the stigma around "quitting" is pseudo-tough guy bullshit.

In the early Gracie days, even tapping to a submission was perceived as weak in certain circles, back when MMA wasn't really a "legit sport" you could make a career/living from.
It's slowly progressing to "tapping to strikes is okay, save your brain".
Even guys like Frank Mir who used to say that he would never tap to strikes, ended up doing it in Bellator.

For the fighter's safety, I'm glad that Penn decided not to go back for another round with GSP. That could have ended very, very bad...
That fight already took years out of Penn's prime, he made the right choice calling it a night after 4 rounds, and refusing the third fight that GSP immediately challenged Penn with in response to his mom lawsuit and complaints.

I am sure you do admire them, i do too, but for the sake of GOAT conversations, history will not look kindly upon them. There is a reason Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson are considered GOAT's, yet both competed far past their prime and went out on losses.

If a fighter wants to take that route, fine. The issue is with the fans who crap on fighters that do compete past their prime or take on huge challenges, like going up multiple weight classes or taking on stylistic nightmares vs cherry picking. This cherry picking phenomenon to keep spotless records was what made boxing die, and it has polluted MMA over the past few decades as well. I do not blame fighters for being so afraid to take on BJ Penn like challenges either when the fans act as they do - I get why GSP and Khabib bounced as they did vs risking becoming a meme and being embarrassed.

*Also, peculiar GSP said he bounced owing to trying to prevent brain damage, but now he wants to box, which is the sport where you get the most brain damage......o_O Why doesn't he just fight Usman instead and save himself the head trauma? (I think you know why that will not happen)
Fuck history.
Play the GREAT GAME,and win.
Then you will be around long after others,and writ your own history

GSP won 3 world titles and retired on a very long win streak

BJ had 2 and retired on 8 losses w his fans beggin him to retire long before.

They will long remember what you did compared to what you didnt.

Back