Bj not going to Brazil because shogun robbery

You really can't. The military dictatorship in Brazil came to power with plenty of popular support, and the truth of the matter is there were real communist cells acting in the country at the time. You can argue about how real the risk of a coup was, but you can't blame US foreign policy for the military regime.

The country where US intervention was clearest in South America during that period was Chile, and this is going to be a very unpopular opinion, but Pinochet did wonders for the economy. Of course, that doesn't justify the most violent dictatorship in South America, but Chile is fairly close to first world status now and I'd say it's directly attributable to his regime.

Yeah..."plenty popular support" from the rich 1% of the country. Communism was not a crime and if the government was elected democratically, its irrelevant, since it was chosen by the majority (just like a have to deal with the insane current government in Brazil now). Well, it certainly was relevant for the US. US foreign policy had a direct association with the Brazilian regime. Let's not forget the US has oveturned democratically elected governments because of banana companies.

Regarding Chile, maybe a sherdogger from chile can provide some information, because what i read is quite contrary.

For people who don't know, BJ Penn's family owns 5% of all the land in Hawaii. He is very rich. He could very likely be targeted by thieves in some less-reputable areas.

On top of that, he's rich as balls. He could pay for them to come train with him instead, easily.

It's funny seeing people try to defend Brazil, come on people let's get real it's a shit hole don't blame BJ for not wanting to go there when everyone knows his family has money and he is prime kidnap and ransom bait...

Not even 0.1% of the people know who BJ is. Where I live in Rio (South side of town) has a HDI higher than Iceland, US, Switzerland, Canada. It's a great place to life. Unfortunately, other parts of town are very bad, and that's one of the reasons why overall i dont recommend visiting Rio.

I would say the overall level of violence is pretty close between the two, and the violence in Asia is far more comparable to South America than it is to Europe, which you coupled with Asia. There's no small amount of illegal activity in Asia as a whole, including violent practices like organized crime, human and drug trafficking, and also structural violence present in society as a whole, which is illustrated in my previous examples. Now, this all pertains to Asia, and not specifically the developed countries therewithin. Those are not indicative of the overall state of the continent though, they are only a small portion of it.

China is a better representation of Asia as a whole than a country like South Korea or Japan.

Your personal opinion is unfounded though. You can't say South America has a shallow history and culture without first being at least somewhat savvy to what that history is.

I'm speaking of Asia as a whole. If you specifically want to refer to the developed nations of Asia, you can't cite the whole continent, as those are a small minority.

There's no doubt Asia and Europe have incredibly rich histories, and it's not your personal preference I'm arguing against, only the reasons you gave for it.

When I say Asia, I mean countries that mostly consist of Asian people living in them. Asian as in they'd mark off Asian in a Census. East Asia and Southeast Asia is mostly what I was referring to, but I'd figure I'd leave in South Asia and all their garbage as well. Gotta make it somewhat fair for South America now. :p Middle East and all that nonsense? Gtfo with that, you know very well that when I and everyone else says Asia, they're not talking about the Middle East.

Well yeah, it's giant. No one is arguing that, I still think it's a shitty place. Still better than pretty much all of South America, though.

All I know of South America comes from them getting colonized. Is this not their most interesting point? I'm not being a dick here, I'm seriously curious.

Not even 0.1% of the people know who BJ is. Where I live in Rio (South side of town) has a HDI higher than Iceland, US, Switzerland, Canada. It's a great place to life. Unfortunately, other parts of town are very bad, and that's one of the reasons why overall i dont recommend visiting Rio.

I almost lost my phone the last time I've been there, lol.

Yeah..."plenty popular support" from the rich 1% of the country.

Far from it.

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcha_da_Família_com_Deus_pela_Liberdade

Communism was not a crime and if the government was elected democratically, its irrelevant, since it was chosen by the majority (just like a have to deal with the insane current government in Brazil now). Well, it certainly was relevant for the US. US foreign policy had a direct association with the Brazilian regime. Let's not forget the US has oveturned democratically elected governments because of banana companies.

When I spoke of "communist cells, I was not referring to Goulart himself, rather actual terrorist organizations funded by the USSR existing in the country, which no doubt looked to take advantage of the political void left by Quadros' resignation. Goulart's own communist ties only served to position the majority of the population in favor of a military intervention.

Regarding Chile, maybe a sherdogger from chile can provide some information, because what i read is quite contrary.

It's called the Miracle of Chile, where Pinochet redirected the economy to a mostly liberal stance(as in actually liberal, not US "liberal"). I don't know if you've been there recently, but it's much better off than just about every other South American country.

Even the Gracies are warning people about Brazil

image.jpg

When I say Asia, I mean countries that mostly consist of Asian people living in them. Asian as in they'd mark off Asian in a Census. East Asia and Southeast Asia is mostly what I was referring to, but I'd figure I'd leave in South Asia and all their garbage as well. Gotta make it somewhat fair for South America now. :p Middle East and all that nonsense? Gtfo with that, you know very well that when I and everyone else says Asia, they're not talking about the Middle East.

Well yeah, it's giant. No one is arguing that, I still think it's a shitty place. Still better than pretty much all of South America, though.

All I know of South America comes from them getting colonized. Is this not their most interesting point? I'm not being a dick here, I'm seriously curious.

Places like Malaysia, Thailand, India, etc, aren't exactly safe places. If you want to argue Asia is safer than South America, I won't go deep into it. But generally speaking, it doesn't look like a huge difference.

As for history and culture, it's not as if nothing existed in South America before Columbus. Mesoamerican history and culture is pretty cool, btw.

I never mentioned the Middle East, you were the one who brought it up twice. I'm talking about pretty much everything that isn't East Asia, which is just about the smallest part of the continent.

I very much doubt that. The only countries in South Africa I'd truly dread to be in are Venezuela(for obvious reasons), Ecuador and Colombia, and they don't make up a huge part of the continent. In Asia though, there are more pits of obscurity than you could count, a huge slice of the total population still being completely rural.

I'm not exactly a South American history expert, although I can say there's quite a bit to Brazilian history. The initial colonization process, eventually being part of the Portuguese Crown's United Kingdom and even being the headquarter, the Brazilian Imperial rule, the Paraguay war, numerous republican revolutions, the initial democracy in the late 1800s, Vargas' semi-fascist rule, another period of democracy, the military regime, so on and so forth.

I'm not really getting this Asia vs. South America debate. I'd go to Brazil over China any day of the week and North Korea is a bigger POS than anywhere in South America and are about neck and neck with Iran and Iraq as the crappiest place in the world. Both continents have cool places and terrible places, neither continent is vastly superior over the other.

brazil is dangerous for tourist and rich not blaming my long time friend bj penn

Meh

born and raised in Rio, and i dont blame him...90% of the city is shitty, BJ would only live and enjoy the nice 10% but the 2 worlds can still colide and i dont blame him.

Unfortunatly this is how we live here. to get to the airport from the niciest neighbours you have to take the highways surrounded by favelas and thats where shogun got robbed... so that is possible to happen to anyone coming and going....

about thugs targeting pro fighters, thats ridiculous shogun was just unlucky and theyd hit any nice car going at that time, pro fighter or not...

Places like Malaysia, Thailand, India, etc, aren't exactly safe places. If you want to argue Asia is safer than South America, I won't go deep into it. But generally speaking, it doesn't look like a huge difference.

As for history and culture, it's not as if nothing existed in South America before Columbus. Mesoamerican history and culture is pretty cool, btw.

Of course they're not particularly safe, but I'd say they're still a lot safer than most of South America.

I've been to Malaysia countless times since I live in Singapore, and I've never felt as if I were in danger. I'm not saying it isn't dangerous, but I do feel it's blown a bit out of proportion, especially the crime in Kuala Lumpur.

judging by your overall posting it clear that ur ignorant as fuck, but just for the sake of argument, you know that south american history is MUCH more than just retards from europe playing extrativism, right?

like for example the incas and mayas, but i guess ur too busy watching hentai.

Of course they're not particularly safe, but I'd say they're still a lot safer than most of South America.

I've been to Malaysia countless times since I live in Singapore, and I've never felt as if I were in danger. I'm not saying it isn't dangerous, but I do feel it's blown a bit out of proportion, especially the crime in Kuala Lumpur.

My gf is singaporean. Knowing these places, she felt quite confident in Rio.

According to her, Rio resembles Malaysia in many ways.

Far from it.

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcha_da_Família_com_Deus_pela_Liberdade

When I spoke of "communist cells, I was not referring to Goulart himself, rather actual terrorist organizations funded by the USSR existing in the country, which no doubt looked to take advantage of the political void left by Quadros' resignation. Goulart's own communist ties only served to position the majority of the population in favor of a military intervention.

It's called the Miracle of Chile, where Pinochet redirected the economy to a mostly liberal stance(as in actually liberal, not US "liberal"). I don't know if you've been there recently, but it's much better off than just about every other South American country.

Did you read the link you sent me, especially this part: "V

BJ needs to get over that first fight with Hendo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back