Bite Me Mouthguards splits up

I have some Pics coming in that I will definately add. Fangs, Flames, Zebra Stripes etc.
Thanks for the compliment on the site. I'm still learning how to make them so I hope I got to all the typos.

If gladiator and your new company and biteme are all basicaly the same, why is gladiators half the price? I gotta say im bummed though becuase i really want a pair of fangs on my mouthguard but i cant afford $110 for one. Anyone know if Gladiator plans on doing these?

Codysweet02

That's a very, very, very good question. First and formost " all mouthguards are NOT created equal."
Basically that means they are not the same. Some companies offer only one, two and three layer mouthguards. That's three layers of the same type of materials. Protech and Bite Me use different types of materials in the different layers depending which guard you choose. For example (and I wont use other company names because I do have respect for them) a 2 layered guard from another company is 2nd on the list of what Protech offers. We have 4 more guards that increase in protection and therefor price. Secondly comes Quality. We really don't all compare. I've seen the others and can back this up on looks alone. Third and foremost is Experience and History. Protech comes with a history of working with the Academy of Sports Dentistry. The means we make mouthguards to Dentist specifications. The guards are built to protect your teeth not just look good. There are certain specifications that must me met in order to insure that protection.

Bottom Line: You can get a guard with fangs for $55-$65-$75-$85-$95 and $105 depending on which one you want. No shipping fees or hidden charges.

Correction- Price with fangs is $55-$75-$85-100-$110-$120

codysweet02 said:
If gladiator and your new company and biteme are all basicaly the same, why is gladiators half the price? I gotta say im bummed though becuase i really want a pair of fangs on my mouthguard but i cant afford $110 for one. Anyone know if Gladiator plans on doing these?

The mouthguards are made using the same technology and materials that are for the most part are the same. Some of the differences are additional material that Tom adds that Gladiator does not feel are necessary, however Tom feels they enhance the protective nature of his guards, extra material, extra labor = higher cost. Gladiator has been in business significantly longer and is much larger than biteme or protech which has led to streamlining the assembly process as well as having the power to purchase materials in bulk reducing our cost. That said the smaller companies have an edge in the fact that you deal with only one person the guy you talk to also makes all the guards. Gladiator has multiple assemblers at each step, customer service reps, shippers and receivers, I would like to think we service our customers well and produce a consistent product but I would never claim to be as consistent in the way just one person can be. Also $110 will not buy you a three "D" fang guard from Gladiator the guard Fat_Wilhem posted retails for $125.00 for the pro and $150.00 for the Elite.

I want to touch on two subject here.

#1 I've never paid anyone to wear a mouthguard that I have created. A hat for advertisment on two occassions but never a mouthguard. The mouthguards speak for themselves.

#2 It has nothing to do with thinking that the extra materials add extra protection. Our triple layer guard is identicle to the ones you can get from a dentist and made at a dental lab. The decision to add materials and develope more protective guards is based on 10 years of making mouthguards and working with dentists and people that wear mouthguards. The feedback from fighters speaks for itself and I guote " This is the best damn mouthguard I have ever worn" Not just from fighters that move up from boil and bites, but from fighters that have worn a dentist made mouthguard. Also I make sure that the lower teeth imbed into the mouthguard so your teeth lock in. The other companies either don't offer this or do at an extra charge. No bite means your looking at a potentially serious injury. Even boil and bite offer this type of manditory protective feature. Our prices are competetive with what you get from a superior mouthguard.........More protection.

Just out of curiosity, how do you figure out that adding a material is good? Is it like the nike "waffle iron" theory?

Adding the different materials like a shield or slightly denser material acts as power distribution and absorption layers. They are disigned into guard to absorb and redistribute the forces of impact. Other materials added are used in conjunction for stabilizing tooth movement.

What do you mean by shield? Is this in reference to a gum or root shield? I personally find that a root/gum shield that is more than .125 inches thick is quite uncomfortable to wear. Lastly does any manufacturer make a mouthpiece with the molars thicker than the rest of the guard to form an breathing channel. Yeah, I know, don't breathe through your mouth and that design doesn't really protect you bottom teeth but a classmate wants one.

I wish I would have known all this a few months back. I got an OPRO and I can't say I care for it.

I should probably wait to have my wisom teeth out before i order one huh? Incase my teeth decide to move on me?

Perfy and Codysweet02

Two great questions. The shield I refer to is a .8 mm acrylic layer that is sandwiched between the inner and outer layers of the mouthguards. The shield has two functions. One function,due to it's rigidity,is stabilization of materials within the guard (partially reducing flex) and power redistribution to transfer force throughout the guard.(redirecting the energy)

As for a mouthguard that is thicker in the rear than it is in the front, well....that would not vry functional or protective. If it were thicker in the rear the front teeth wouldn't touch the guard. Sure you would have a breathing channel but you would also have an open bite leaving your front lower teeth and lips to impact and injury. It's important that all teeth make contact with the guard when in the mouth.

Unless your teeth are overly crowded right now, taking out your wisdom teeth will have little effect on your teeth or position. Wisdom teeth can cause overcrowding of teeth because there is not enough room in the mouth for all the teeth. Since they come in last they have a tendancy to push thier way in and crowd the rest of the teeth. Also you would need orthodontia (braces) to effectively make drastic changes in the position of your teeth. So... the answer is no. You don't have to wait.

Thanks tom but unfortunantley(i should know how to spell this word should i?) i do have to wait, im broke. But soon hopefully i will be ordering one.

Your welcome Cody. Regardless of where you buy your next guard I felt the question was valid and hopefully will answer some other people's questions as well.

TomCold said:
If it were thicker in the rear the front teeth wouldn't touch the guard. Sure you would have a breathing channel but you would also have an open bite leaving your front lower teeth and lips to impact and injury. It's important that all teeth make contact with the guard when in the mouth.

I'm a little confused by this. Although I can't speak to the thickness of the guard at various points throughout, my front lower teeth do not make contact with my mouthguard. My molars definately do and I'd been assuming the cushioning was supposed to take place back at the molars as the front lowers would be prevented from banging into the guard do to the 'bite stop' effect at the molars.

It is important that all teeth make contact to insure protective stability of all lower teeth. Think ofit like this. If only your molars are touching and you take one to the chin the initial force is transfered directly to the molar area of your mouth instaed of being distributed and absorbed by the entire dental arch.
It also allows your lower jaw to be mobile and possibly sustain additional injury.

Are you wearing a boil and bite or custom made guard.

KOU In3

I can give you the intructions to close the bite and allow all your teeth to make contact. I apologize for that never being explained to you. Please send me a pm or call me for the directions to add your bite.

Tom 949-310-5370

I can see why there would be some confusion.

Back