Bisping as top contender

GuiSilva

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
A lot of people consider Bisping a great fighter and a top contender, here is my view of Bisping as a fighter and I like to know yout thoughts about it :

Bisping is UFC poster boy for the UK market, if you look at his record he has a lot of wins over spoon fed opponents : Jason Day, Jason Miller, Jorge Rivera, Dan Miller Akyama, and a few others.

None of these fighters were close to being champions or top contenders, AND he got rocked on most of these fights.

Everytime he has faced top competition or close to top fighters, he lost.

All of his fights with the exception of Hendo, Sonnen and maybe Wandy, were spoon fed to him.

Anyone here noticed the amount of marketing the UFC invested on his fight against Jason Day. People in my view get caught in the Bisping hype without looking at his record and performances.

Don't get me wrong, he is a good all around fighter, but good, not great. I think almost EVERYTIME he faces top competition he'll lose.

He has a pretty good chance against Vitor on the later rounds, but just you imagine Bisping, primarily a kickboxer without a single knockout on his record, and packing very litle knockout power facing Anderson should he get past Vitor. Anybody see any chance Bisping has via Wrestling or Submission ? I don't, standing up, joke.

I'm placing my money on Bisping though against Belfort.

orig-11119061jpg.gif

Bisping has outgrown the uk market, haters use that as an excuse. He is too big a name to put on a uk card these days.

You can't pick and choose which fights were spoon fed to him. He won = spoonfed, He lost = real challenge just doesn't cut it.

Jason Day was coming off a dominant tko win over Alan Belcher and was a late replacement for Leben.

Bisping can beat Vitor, and I honestly favor him in the fight. Vitor can't do a high pace past the first round (first and a half to be generous) these days, and I don't see him going on some crazy barrage tonight (if he does, it won't work because Bisping can recover)

People will say that Bisping hasn't beaten good opposition. But then people trash fedor and anderson silva for the same reason.

Haters gonna hate.

Bisping has outgrown the uk market, haters use that as an excuse. He is too big a name to put on a uk card these days.

You can't pick and choose which fights were spoon fed to him. He won = spoonfed, He lost = real challenge just doesn't cut it.

Jason Day was coming off a dominant tko win over Alan Belcher and was a late replacement for Leben.

Why would I hate a fighter man, calling a hater is the excuse people use to get away with no valid argument.

Jason Day was coming of a win over Belcher and that makes him hard competition ?

I said in view of his record and performance he is a good all around fighter, just not great.

And by not great what I mean is he won't get past top competition.

TS you are 100% right in everything you said,i agree with everything.

Bisping is a good fighter that indeed lost everytime he's faced some decent fighters.

That said,he's been competitive and consistent,wich can make an argument that he deserves another shot of being something else in the UFC.

He's getting that shot today,but if he suceeds to get a crack on Anderson,it will be a freakin joke of a fight.Such a bad matchup for him and another highlight reel knockout for AS.

Why would I hate a fighter man, calling a hater is the excuse people use to get away with no valid argument.

Jason Day was coming of a win over Belcher and that makes him hard competition ?

I said in view of his record and performance he is a good all around fighter, just not great.

And by not great what I mean is he won't get past top competition.

I never called you a hater, I just stated that the whole "uk poster boy" bs is what all of the haters say to try and justify why Bisping gets as you put it so well, "spoon fed opponents" which isn't really the case.

So far in his career he has fought Matt Hammill, Rashad Evans, Chris Leben, Dan Henderson, Denis Kang, Wanderlei Silva, Dan Miller, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Mayhem Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann and now Vitor Belfort. Do you really want to make the "he's been protected because he's the British cash cow" argument?

The fact that people in the uk don't pay for cards should tell you a lot as well, he got that big ass contract because he makes the ufc a lot of money. Money from those who do pay for cards.

As I stated, Day was a late replacement for Chris Leben, And hindsight is a beautiful thing. At the time he had just beaten Belcher and was seen as a promising up and comer. Just because we know now that he turned into a flash im the pan sort of fighter doesn't make it as relevant as you seem to think.

I never called you a hater, I just stated that the whole "uk poster boy" bs is what all of the haters say to try and justify why Bisping gets as you put it so well, "spoon fed opponents" which isn't really the case.

So far in his career he has fought Matt Hammill, Rashad Evans, Chris Leben, Dan Henderson, Denis Kang, Wanderlei Silva, Dan Miller, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Mayhem Miller, Chael Sonnen, Brian Stann and now Vitor Belfort. Do you really want to make the "he's been protected because he's the British cash cow" argument?

The fact that people in the uk don't pay for cards should tell you a lot as well, he got that big ass contract because he makes the ufc a lot of money. Money from those who do pay for cards.

As I stated, Day was a late replacement for Chris Leben, And hindsight is a beautiful thing. At the time he had just beaten Belcher and was seen as a promising up and comer. Just because we know now that he turned into a flash im the pan sort of fighter doesn't make it as relevant as you seem to think.

I don't think Bisping has been protected, but he has lost to every top tier fighter he has fought save Stann.

Rashad, Hendo, Wand etc.

I don't think Bisping has been protected, but he has lost to every top tier fighter he has fought save Stann.

Rashad, Hendo, Wand etc.

Of course, I agree, although he arguably beat Rashad, but that fight always gets overlooked in lieu of the Hammill fight.

Rashad, Hendo, Wand etc.

That really doesn't matter unless he stagnates. But he keeps improving and is a pretty well rounded fighter. Plus Rashad is a beast and his fight with Bisping could have gone either way as it was a split decision.

I favor Bisping against Vitor this fight, and I think he stands as good or better chance against Anderson as any other MW right now. If he wins he absolutely deserves it.

I've never seen these exact same sentiments expressed on this board over a thousand times. Very insightful.

That really doesn't matter unless he stagnates. But he keeps improving and is a pretty well rounded fighter. Plus Rashad is a beast and his fight with Bisping could have gone either way as it was a split decision.

I favor Bisping against Vitor this fight, and I think he stands as good or better chance against Anderson as any other MW right now. If he wins he absolutely deserves it.

You realy think Bisping has a better chance to beat Anderson Silva than CHris Weidman?

He has a pretty good chance against Vitor on the later rounds, but just you imagine Bisping, primarily a kickboxer without a single knockout on his record.

You're very quick to overlook the 14 TKO victories he has to his name.

You don't need to have one punch KO power to be a finisher.

well if he beats vitor then he deserves a shot a title shot against Anderson Silva.

People who dissect Bispings wins never dissect his losses. Bisping has only been dominated once ever.

Though I will be rooting for the count, I actually give an advantage to Belfort in this fight. Bisping gets flustered when he is put under pressure and I can't see him doing to well if Vitor flurries on him. He tends to back himself into the cage like in the Wanderlei fight, and Vitor is a killer once he has a guy hurt.

Bisping has gotten better as a fighter, no question, and his pre-fight antics are both entertaining and effictive. He is a very solid fighter with no real outstanding skill set other than a great motor, much like the Diaz brothers. He is very servicable to the UFC, and we all either love or hate him (emotional investments in fights is a good thing.) All of that being said he is never going to be a championship level fighter, he lacks both the athleticism, skills, and power to beat top competition. I like watching his fights though.

I totally agree. If he wins there is no reason why he doesnt deserve a shot. Not saying he will win but he deserves his chance. His 3 decision losses were close and to good fighters and his KO loss was from a punch that would have knocked almost any fighter out. If he wins he will have done more than any other MW at the moment to get a shot.

You realy think Bisping has a better chance to beat Anderson Silva than CHris Weidman?

I think he has as good a chance. The chance for both is very low, but even though Weidman's skillset looks good on paper, i've never seen him against a good striker. That's a huge question mark for a possible Anderson fight.

If Weidman were to beat Bisping or Vitor, i'd say he had the better chance, but as of now, he's too untested to say he has a better chance.

Back