• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Bio Girl Becomes NC's First Female Wrestling Champion!

That 1 does look older. I originally said it was quite an accomplishment regardless.

I just dont think its fair to claim girls are just making excuses for losing to transboys because of this 1 example.
Oh I completely agree. This was the ideal scenario for a girl to win something like this.

That's pretty cool, good for her.

5968794_022620-wtvd-nc-girl-champion-wrestler-vid-696x392.jpg

Kicking ass and looking adorable.

And no TS, it's definitely not the same thing and you know it.

That was like a granby roll only different for people that can’t pull guard, very cool

Dude, I said they are literally one of the smallest divisions in the nation physically and by numbers. Of course they aren't going to look like super athletes.

I have acknowledged multiple times that this was probably the easiest state tournament you could win.

I am challenging your assertion that most wrestlers don't cut weight or aren't super competitive. You're flat out wrong. You clearly don't know jack shit about wrestling. You've probably never even met a wrestler let alone seen a match.

Challenge away. It's obviously a way bigger deal to you than it should be. Idgaf.

Nah.
(Lots of folks who've never wrestled in this thread)
Wrestlers have more mental endurance, especially the shitty ones that stay on the team.

Jocks can deal with failure and criticism.

People that can't cope with their emotions are the ones who snap.

That said. Good on her, she owns the soul of every boy she beat. All of them will rue that day.
Exactly. Not only that, but those guys are the dudes who are standing on a state finals podium.

LOL, those guys aren't losers. They beat the shit out of everyone. Everyone but her, and each other. These are the guys who are used to always winning.

It's always funny to hear people who have never achieved anything sling arrows. I have to chuckle at the shit talk. I'm willing to bet the guys who insult them are the types who couldn't even make a high school team on some shitty high school with a measly 500 student pop, much less be the best on that team, much less win a meet, much less win an invitational, much less win a postseason tournament, much less...

You get the picture.

Exactly. Not only that, but those guys are the dudes who are standing on a state finals podium.

LOL, those guys aren't losers. They beat the shit out of everyone. Everyone but her, and each other. These are the guys who are used to always winning.

It's always funny to hear people who have never achieved anything sling arrows. I have to chuckle at the shit talk. I'm willing to bet the guys who insult them are the types who couldn't even make a high school team on some shitty high school with a measly 500 student pop, much less be the best on that team, much less win a meet, much less win an invitational, much less win a postseason tournament, much less...

You get the picture.

Even a shitty wrestler with a sub 500 record that keeps showing up every day, makes weight, loses, comes back and keeps trying to get better deserves more respect than some of the folks in this thread.

You get the picture.

I went to a big high school (2000+ people, big for Canada) and I was on the sr. rugby and sr. soccer team as a sophomore.

Try again.

Good on her. NC is pretty lowly for wrestling but still a good accomplishment. I dont think well ever see a girl win at anything but the lower couple weight classes where you're likely to get pre pubescent boys. I wrestled a girl my senior year at 130lb I think. She was supposedly national level placer in some girls tourney and I teched her . I would have pinned her under a minute but she had double jointed shoulders that got her potentially dangerous calls cuz it looked horrible. She felt extremely weak and guys with zero experience but strong as fuck would have been more difficult match ups.

Helen maroulis, also from Maryland, is arguably the best female wrestler ever in the US and finished 6th place at 112lb. Maryland recently added womens state tournament last year

That's a big cut for high school. Remember you gotta make weight both Friday night Saturday morning

To put this in perspective, I wrestled 103s. At that time, my heaviest was probably 118 lbs. - natural weight. By pre-season, I was about 113 lbs. from dieting and slimming down (ideally I would have been lower I had to wrestle at 112s a few times since it was too much weight to cut). Towards the start of the season, I had got to 110 lbs. walking around weight. A few days before the match, I'd try to hit 108. I'd cut the last 5 pounds water loss before weigh-in. The night before always sucked.

With today's rules I wouldn't have been able to compete at that weight. In Hawaii, they do your bmi, bfp, and hydration testing to figure out how low they'll let you cut. Since I was at 4.5% bfp, they probably would have made me go to the 119s. Heh.

That was like a granby roll only different for people that can’t pull guard, very cool

Wrestler's were Granby rolling while Royce Gracie was still in diapers.

To put this in perspective, I wrestled 103s. At that time, my heaviest was probably 118 lbs. - natural weight. By pre-season, I was about 113 lbs. from dieting and slimming down (ideally I would have been lower I had to wrestle at 112s a few times since it was too much weight to cut). Towards the start of the season, I had got to 110 lbs. walking around weight. A few days before the match, I'd try to hit 108. I'd cut the last 5 pounds water loss before weigh-in. The night before always sucked.

With today's rules I wouldn't have been able to compete at that weight. In Hawaii, they do your bmi, bfp, and hydration testing to figure out how low they'll let you cut. Since I was at 4.5% bfp, they probably would have made me go to the 119s. Heh.
Yeah we weren't really allowed to cut that much. One time I cut like 10lbs and was too weak to be effective. Never did it again after that.

Weight cutting is a very delicate balance. Do it right, you come in with a huge strength advantage. Do it wrong, and you'll be absolutely sapped and be lucky to make it to the end of the match.

Good on her. NC is pretty lowly for wrestling but still a good accomplishment. I dont think well ever see a girl win at anything but the lower couple weight classes where you're likely to get pre pubescent boys. I wrestled a girl my senior year at 130lb I think. She was supposedly national level placer in some girls tourney and I teched her . I would have pinned her under a minute but she had double jointed shoulders that got her potentially dangerous calls cuz it looked horrible. She felt extremely weak and guys with zero experience but strong as fuck would have been more difficult match ups.

Helen maroulis, also from Maryland, is arguably the best female wrestler ever in the US and finished 6th place at 112lb. Maryland recently added womens state tournament last year
Correct....MD has the women's state tournament this coming Thursday. The co-ed is Friday and Saturday. Hopefully my oldest boy has a good showing. He placed first in conference (district) and first in regional. Last yr he tore his elbow his first match at states and had Tommy John surgery two weeks after states. His arm looks like a science project.
Anyhow, congrats to this girl. NC is rather weak when it comes to wrestling but she did what she had to do. Respect.

so can the boys go wrestle for the girls championship now?

To be fair it’s NC. It’s not like Minnesota, Wisconsin, or the other Midwest powerhouse wrestling states either.
NC wrestling is pretty shit. And she won it at the smallest classification (1a).

But it's still impressive nonetheless. Talk about making no excuses.

You know....that's actually pretty badass.

Good stuff. Sucks to be the dudes in high school who lost to a girl though. Even though anyone who has been a newb at BJJ and rolled with the female purple+ belts knows how that feels.
They weigh 106 fucking pounds...

Props to her and all but even with cutting weight they will barely weigh 115.

I have 12 year olds in my no gi class in shape who weigh more than this....

Back