Big guys are better than little guys

Anything more than 20+ is going to be a huge advantage, you will need signficantly more technique to overcome any higher. Do not kid yourself please.

Im not big at all 5'9 160lbs. I admit I get frustrated when I am getting my ass handed to me buy a guy who outweighs me buy 20-50lbs. I certainly dont bitch about it though, probalby because the person is generally alot more skilled then me.

It i salot easyer though to get guard back from a aguy who weighs 150lbs then it i sa guy who weighs 250lbs.

It liek BJ penn says though, in a street fight you cant say to teh guy" hey your not in my weigth class!"

I feel that rolling with bigger stronger and more skilled guys is going to make me a animal when I fight begginers in a tournament.

War Salvosa BJJ

I am 5'5" and have a real tough time with guys that outweigh me by 30 or more pounds.

That's why I supplement my MMA training with strength training with weights 3 times a week.

I weigh 135
I consistently beat guys much bigger than myself (largest is 270)
skill>size

then you should know that size does matter...

every 160 pounder on every high school team i have ever been around could beat the HW.

even in collegiate wrestling the HW arent as good as the 197s.

every 160 pounder on every high school team i have ever been around could beat the HW.

even in collegiate wrestling the HW arent as good as the 197s.

Yea so? I bet the 160 lbs couldn't beat the 190 lbers.

Anything more than 20+ is going to be a huge advantage, you will need signficantly more technique to overcome any higher. Do not kid yourself please.

i ahev competed at weights from 150 to Unlimited in wrestling and bjj. And anything over 200 is a disadvantage unless youre a huge freak.

open weight bjj is never won by the super heavies at the lower levels (where there is a skill disparity).

wait... there's winning and losing in practice?

it's practice... I understand the competitive nature, but there's no shame in tapping... in fact, the guys that tap me are the ones that I have the most fun rolling with...

as for size, it does make a difference... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Training with people that are larger (or smaller) changes the experience. It forces you to adapt, find what works in different situations...

...and it's not like there are weigh-ins before self-defense situations in real life.

wait... there's winning and losing in practice?

it's practice... I understand the competitive nature, but there's no shame in tapping... in fact, the guys that tap me are the ones that I have the most fun rolling with...

as for size, it does make a difference... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Training with people that are larger (or smaller) changes the experience. It forces you to adapt, find what works in different situations...

...and it's not like there are weigh-ins before self-defense situations in real life.

great post
I love rolling with this 1 big guy, he's a powerlifter @ 250 lbs, he can LITERALLY toss me around from any position with ease

but he's got a big 'ol neck and my skinny wrists slip under his chin so easily... 8)

Yeah, I'm 6'2 and 235 but we've got one guy that is 6'5 300 so I feel the small man's pains. But, we also have a 5'8 160 guy that destroyed a 6'3 215 blue belt the other night like it was cool.

I'm 6'1, 145 lbs, so practically every guy I roll with is bigger and stronger than I am. Significantly. A stronger purple belt or experienced blue belt doesn't tap me because he is stronger, it's because he is much better than I am. The bigger stronger white belts that have been training for a month or two manhandle me because they are bigger and stronger, yes, but also because I'm a white belt and I still suck. That's why I don't get pissed off.

I'm 6'1, 145 lbs, so practically every guy I roll with is bigger and stronger than I am. Significantly. A stronger purple belt or experienced blue belt doesn't tap me because he is stronger, it's because he is much better than I am. The bigger stronger white belts that have been training for a month or two manhandle me because they are bigger and stronger, yes, but also because I'm a white belt and I still suck. That's why I don't get pissed off.

Eat.

I'm 5'7" and a little under 150. If someone "beats" me when rolling, I just think I need to work on my jiu-jitsu more. If strength is a problem, maybe I need to hit the weights. Either way, that guy bested me, even if his technique wasn't necessarily better than mine... he was still better over all.

In a year the average medium size guy will be glad he's not the average giant.

size does matter but not to the point where the littler guy still cant win hmc had over 100 pounds on fedor and who came out on top

i ranted to my wife about this a few weeks ago, god forbid a fat guy have some actual skill. lol i roll with a guy thats 185 and i'm 220 it's never that i'm just better it's always the weight difference. just b/c i'm fat dosn't mean i can't roll for 2 hours straight either.

skinny fuckers don't bitch and whine when they get the tap, or say oh well i'm faster or i can transition better. there are advantages/disadvantages to everything. light guys are faster, heavy guys are stronger. short guys have good defense, tall guys get subs easier. i doubt marcello bitches about size. i outweigh him by tons but it aint gonna matter:icon_chee

Back