Big guys are better than little guys

armtriangle

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
sometimes.

just a quick vent. I get tired of little guys (anyone even 1 pound lighter than me, it seems) blaming everything on size. sometimes a big guy is bigger AND better. accept it.

i get domnated my 250 pound bb instructor on a regular basis. do i blame it on the fact that he outweighs me by 30 pounds? he would whip me the same way if he weighed 150.

but when big guy whips on a smaller guy, all i hear is groans about how the little guy got squished and said big guy is impossibe to move, so strong etc.

i was tooling a newbie a few weeks ago while he bitched incessantly about the size difference. its crazy what 50 pounds will do for you, etc. he is a cop so he can't help his ego. finally i had to tell him, "it wouldnt make a difference if i was 120 pounds, everything you do is wrong."

long story short: give a big guy some credit from time to time.

there's a reason there are weight classes... weight makes a huge difference.

there's a reason there are weight classes... weight makes a huge difference.

i have an easier time with big guys.

but you have exemplified the attitude that causes me to vent. there isnt that big of a difference between a 180 pound and 220 pound person... any significant difference in skill wont be made up by that weight difference. now if tehy are clsoe in skill, yes, it will help. but sometimes it will hurt depending on body composition.

anyway, when i big guy beats you, its not always because he is bigger.

You have a better Sherdog belt than me, so you're better, and size doesn't matter in this case.

Size matters.

But not enough to justify a tirade of bitching. Gotta accept what God gave you.

OK first off I weight 180 - Im about average size and let me correcttttttttttt your thinking lol

The strength between a guy that is 160lbs and one who is 220lbs is AMAZING!! A 160lb guy does not have the strength to push a guy that outweighs him by 60lbs off of him....HOWEVER a guy that weighs 220lbs DOES have that kind of strength to lift a guy off him that outweighs him by 60lbs!

You need to realize that strength works in RATIOS! 40lbs differences arent always the same! 160 vs 200 is much different than 200 vs 240!

That all being said...I have a very hard time with bigger guys who are BETTER than me! Big noobs arent a porblem at all! I rolled with a 290lbs guy in my class and I took his back and mounted him but I couldnt finish him bc I couldnt move him after that...my speed and skill got me where i needed to be but after that I was helpless!

but you have exemplified the attitude that causes me to vent. there isnt that big of a difference between a 180 pound and 220 pound person... any significant difference in skill wont be made up by that weight difference. now if tehy are clsoe in skill, yes, it will help. but sometimes it will hurt depending on body composition.

Have you wrestled?

Size matters.

But not enough to justify a tirade of bitching. Gotta accept what God gave you.

Exactly. I am a big guy, but it's not like I can change the fact I am 6'5". I can't just say, "ok, here is a smaller guy, gotta roll like I am 6'" Yes, it is an advantage, but it's just using the cards that we(big guys) were dealt.

long story short: give a big guy some credit from time to time.

Man, do I hear you on this. Whenever someone complains - I explain to them that there are 150lb blue belts who whoop my 260lb-white-belt ass. Learn to deal with it.

i was tooling a newbie a few weeks ago while he bitched incessantly about the size difference. its crazy what 50 pounds will do for you, etc. he is a cop so he can't help his ego. finally i had to tell him, "it wouldnt make a difference if i was 120 pounds, everything you do is wrong."

Theres your problem!! If he was unconscious and snoring like a cheap whore that youd just boned - he couldnt bitch about nothing!! If theyre gonna bitch - choke em out, leave em on the mat and move on to the next partner!!

Reading that back - its abit strong - just work from the bottom, use tech and never force a sub. Sounds more polite the second way.

Hell yeah. I am a little guy (155lbs) and that is one thing I decided pretty quickly--I am NEVER going to make excuses based on my opponent outweighing me. All you have to do is watch Marcelo Garcia for those kinds of excuses to go out the window.

Plain and simple, out of shape fatties need to lose some weight first and gain some cardio before training with us conditioned in shape guys.

Nothing worse than a fat spaz trying to use his strength to throw you around. . . . than he just quits because he's gassed out. Ruins a roll when the guy just goes limp because he hasnt enough energy to do anything else.

example: starting a roll while I have mount they turn purple trying to launch me off of them. I can use there mistake of trying this to my advantage but usually I'm stuck just putting out my arms and holding my base. All along thinking to myself, come on buddy your on the bottom and should be relying on defense not offense, do some shrimping or something.

Plain and simple, out of shape fatties need to lose some weight first and gain some cardio before training with us conditioned in shape guys.

Nothing worse than a fat spaz trying to use his strength to throw you around. . . . than he just quits because he's gassed out. Ruins a roll when the guy just goes limp because he hasnt enough energy to do anything else.

example: starting a roll while I have mount they turn purple trying to launch me off of them. I can use there mistake of trying this to my advantage but usually I'm stuck just putting out my arms and holding my base. All along thinking to myself, come on buddy your on the bottom and should be relying on defense not offense, do some shrimping or something.

Lol...see this everyday at my club.

It dependes on how the big guy roll's..If there is an ego issue, and the big uses the size & strength in order to "win" in training sessions, the problem is pretty clear right? After all, do you go to class to learn whether or not you are heavier/stronger than the other guy? If you go to learn zoo-zhitzoo, then play zoo-zhitzoo. (generally; not you specifically)

OK first off I weight 180 - Im about average size and let me correcttttttttttt your thinking lol

The strength between a guy that is 160lbs and one who is 220lbs is AMAZING!! A 160lb guy does not have the strength to push a guy that outweighs him by 60lbs off of him....HOWEVER a guy that weighs 220lbs DOES have that kind of strength to lift a guy off him that outweighs him by 60lbs!

You need to realize that strength works in RATIOS! 40lbs differences arent always the same! 160 vs 200 is much different than 200 vs 240!

That all being said...I have a very hard time with bigger guys who are BETTER than me! Big noobs arent a porblem at all! I rolled with a 290lbs guy in my class and I took his back and mounted him but I couldnt finish him bc I couldnt move him after that...my speed and skill got me where i needed to be but after that I was helpless!

thats what im saying. the skill level has to be relatively close before size matters much (excluding huge discrepancies). a purple belt should be able to beat a white belt regardless of size (again excluding freak show stuff).

you know what? who cares, how big a guy is that I roll with if he taps me its a learning experience good for him, granted I don't want our 2 300lbers going to knee on belly on me and using all their size and strength but hey its not like they can help they are that big.

However, I don't like big strong athletic guys coming into the room and just muscling around other people, you want to do it to me go ahead I wrestled from when I was 4 till I was 20 anyways I'm used to it, and it helps me work against a different kind of opponent, but don't try and tell me you are here to learn and your ego isn't involved in the least.

In conclusion, i like rolling with big and especially strong guys to work on different opponents, but if they think they are actually learning something I'd probably just laugh...in your case TS it sounds like you are actually learning and want to learn so screw the other guy.

I'm 210 and I hate rolling with smaller guys, their hips and movement is so much faster than me that it really makes it difficult to keep up with the fluidity. I never to use brute strength to get out of a situation. In Jiu-Jitsu its all finesse. If you're a talking about wild movements and noobs whining about you being bigger.. than you shouldnt be rolling white belts. Your ego doesnt need it and you'll only be prone to injury. They are too wild. stick with the more advanced guys at your academy, it will make you better and you wont here any whining.

Back