Economy Biden Boom continues - at this rate we'll have no unemployment by end of his term

It's not unless you pronounce it "istoric." You don't stay in an hotel or take an history class.
Be that as it may, the way she used it, it should be an imo. Maybe just a pet peeve of mine when reading.

I like Bryan Garner as a source for this kind of thing.

Here's Grammarist:

https://grammarist.com/usage/an-historic/

Really, I don't think you'll find a good source encouraging it.

It appears I am wrong once again.
giphy.gif

It does roll off the tongue better.

My main concern is the same as most Americans main concern, that being high inflation. Wages are not keeping up with the high inflation rate. Wages are going up around 2% yet inflation is above 9%. That means most Americans quality of life is decreasing.

Wish the Democrats would stop spending and printing so much money. Wish they would also halt their war on the fossil fuel industry. Both acts are contributing to the high inflation rate being experienced today.

Markets will be in for a 'rude awakening’ following jobs report, economist warns
MacroMavens founder reveals what’s ‘troubling’ about July's employment data

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/markets-rude-awakening-following-jobs-report-economist-warns

My main concern is the same as most Americans main concern, that being high inflation. Wages are not keeping up with the high inflation rate. Wages are going up around 2% yet inflation is above 9%. That means most Americans quality of life is decreasing.

Wish the Democrats would stop spending and printing so much money. Wish they would also halt their war on the fossil fuel industry. Both acts are contributing to the high inflation rate being experienced today.

Markets will be in for a 'rude awakening’ following jobs report, economist warns

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/markets-rude-awakening-following-jobs-report-economist-warns
Wages haven’t been keeping up with inflation for a long time. This isn’t something new. Funny you are blaming democrats while republicans would like to get rid of the minimum wage altogether. You could thank Reagan for busting the unions and starting a war on labor which has been killing the middles class slowly and steadily.

Hyper inflation has been decades in the making. 2008 crash and bailouts set the precedence of giving massive amounts of stimulus anytime anything bad politically happens.

Biden hating Fox News host forced to report huge Biden win

It physically hurts her to tell the truth.

Reactions: PEB
It's not unless you pronounce it "istoric." You don't stay in an hotel or take an history class.
Maybe in the US this is true. “An hotel”, “an historic”, etc. are grammatically correct here in Australia.

Unemployment is a misleading statistic. The Labor Force Participation Rate (what percentage of the population is working) gives a more complete picture of the state of the economy. It has dropped a max of 8% since 2000 and has recovered about 1.5% since the end of the pandemic, but is once again on the decline.

Does it really matter that there are a million more minimum wage jobs if they don't pay a living wage and nobody is actually willing to take them anymore? I'd argue that it doesn't. The unemployment rate is only so low because people stopped looking for work after seeing so many jobs out there that pay so little its like the companies don't actually care if their employees are homeless.

We shouldn't be celebrating declines in the unemployment rate because people stop looking for work. A lower participation rate is more important than a lower unemployment rate.

Last edited:
Yes we are. "Full employment" refers to practically anyone who wants a job is able to obtain a job. That is what "full employment" means.

That's incredibly misleading. Too many jobs aren't paying enough to live. The labor force participation rate has been on a steady decline since 2000. Its not that a higher percentage of the population are getting jobs; its that a growing percentage of the population is finding that work isn't paying well enough anymore and is choosing to opt out.

P181103-2.png

Serious question: If only 1% of the population was looking for work and they all got hired, would you also consider that 'full employment?'

Employment numbers look good.

However, there is more to the story.

Part-time work increased by 384,000. However, full-time employment deceased by 71,000.

If we count anyone working, the job numbers look very good.

But, if we account for the fact that full-time workers are getting their time cut (or fired) and are having to either shift to part-time work or take on two part-time jobs, then the numbers are not rosey.

It must suck for republicans that the economy is still strong even though we have high inflation. They want it to be bad so just they can win more seats come november.
It must suck for Democrats that people hate the inflation so much and its going to hurt you real bad in the voting booth.

A bit of turn of fortune for ol Joe this last week, perhaps news of his demise has been exaggerated. Employment good, inflation easing, markets popping, approval rising, Donald raided, and still time for it to all be digested come midterms. As they say: in politics and life, timing is everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back