Biased coverage of the Pettis fight.

Sure, it might have been the plan and it is a good plan to attack WB legs since his whole game is around footwork. But that superman came off of a missed WB sidekick and not a faint lowkick from Pettis. Still good job from Pettis. Mad me sad that WB lost though. WB is like the personification of the 90s action movies so hard not to like him (part from being too religious).
Every superman punch comes off of a leg feint.

No.

But there certainly seems to be a pocket of the Pettis fanbase who are pissed that people seem to actually be objectively covering what took place in the fight and not solely focusing on the finish, or pretending he was having much success at all.

You're being babies.

Pettis didn't look good. We were about to end round 2 and he was getting lit up, and busted up while never being able to get anything going the entire fight.

Then he was able to finish out of nowhere in dramatic fashion....Great win....

But you need to accept reality.

Still, it highlights that need to put your opponent away as soon as possible. If you let them hang around, any errant punch can end the fight. Striking is like that. It's why grappling is more reliable, and less prone to chance. Any idiot can throw a punch, and end your night no matter how good you are at striking.

Since I'm not a fighter, I am curious if those who practise martial arts could confirm this. In a fight between two men about the size of Pettis, is it easy to knock your opponent unconscious?

Definitely, and the commentary bled into these forums. If I read that that KO was a fluke 1 more time, I'm jumping in a fucking a canal.

yeah, but barely. Pettis did a lot of damage to the legs and body. Strung him along right into the finish.
Barely? Wonderboy was comfortably eating those leg kicks to deliver punches in bunches to Pettis. Everyone is making far more of the leg kicks than deserved.

I did notice when Wonderboy came out, right off the bat, with a high kick that was blocked. Pettis answered with two body kicks that landed and were loud.

They only acknowledged Wonderboy's kick.

Barely? Wonderboy was comfortably eating those leg kicks to deliver punches in bunches to Pettis. Everyone is making far more of the leg kicks than deserved.

Actually. Wonderboy usually switches stance a lot but got to point to where he stayed in southpaw to keep his left leg safe.

Lol wow some redness on the body and leg vs a jabbed up face bleeding. Wonderboy lost because he chased Pettis to the cage and not once tried to protect his face the whole fight. His gameplan seems to be no plan.

Also I would give most the credit to ATT they dismantled Wonderboy
<{cruzshake}>

I mean usually when your opponent is backed up to the cage because you cut off the octagon and backed him up, that's a purposefully done maneuver. I can think of Woodley being one of a few fighters who really seemed comfortable fighting with his back on the cage.

Fighting with his hands down is his style, it's the karate style in general, he relies on reflexes and distance to move his head away from strikes and counter with punches that are difficult to see because they're coming from around his waistline.

I watched the fight just the one time, I wouldn't call that punch a lucky strike but to think that Pettis was winning isn't what I remember. I was thinking Wonderboy was going to put him away sooner than later. But yeah UFC and all fighting usually is bias to one fighter, and typically it's the fighter clearly winning the fight.

Does anyone else feel like Pettis wasn't given enough credit for investing in the body and leg kicks? He had The left side of Thompson's ribs bruised up and both of Wonderboy's legs.

For a two-round fight, both guys took a shitload of damage.

My bias was definitely towards Pettis in this fight. But I was super nervous for him eating those punches from the bigger guy. I saw the rounds a lot closer than the story was told, but could totally understand if people thought Thompson edged both.

I just think the press and commentators really undersold his kicks and the fact the superman punch comes off of a low kick feint.

Props to both guys, but I think that strike was a lot more than "out of nowhere." Pettis lulled him into it.

Biased commentary? never! YOU can't count him out, and he will make another run.

Cormier was working the mic. He hogs it like fuck, so the other guy or guys never get to talk anyway. So when he’s not cheering on his “guys”. And repeating himself incessantly. You have to hope he’s actually paying attention and calling the fight.

Par for the course. But WB was winning the fight. So I’d have to go back and rewatch it. And there is zero chance of that happening because... Well because Cormier is on the mic. It’s painful to get through once. Let alone twice.

Personally I think that the commentators definitely should've paid more attention to Pettis' leg kicks and body work. It makes sense to try and take away/slow down Wonderboy's biggest weapon. That being said, I'm sure the commentators paid less attention to it simply because Wonderboy was piecing Pettis up with his jab, rather than his kicks. I would've liked to hear more about how important WB's footwork is to his defence though. Pettis had a great game plan and it worked out. He should definitely be getting props for that rather than having people attribute his win to a lucky punch.

Does anyone else feel like Pettis wasn't given enough credit for investing in the body and leg kicks? He had The left side of Thompson's ribs bruised up and both of Wonderboy's legs.

For a two-round fight, both guys took a shitload of damage.

My bias was definitely towards Pettis in this fight. But I was super nervous for him eating those punches from the bigger guy. I saw the rounds a lot closer than the story was told, but could totally understand if people thought Thompson edged both.

I just think the press and commentators really undersold his kicks and the fact the superman punch comes off of a low kick feint.

Props to both guys, but I think that strike was a lot more than "out of nowhere." Pettis lulled him into it.

the leg kicks were good and the body kicks were probably not as good but still had an impact/were significant strikes
in a 5 rounder pettis would have had a good chance of getting the better in the later rounds. he was in my opinion only slightly behind thompson

everybody on sherdog makes it seem that he threw a lucky punch to get a lucky ko from being way behind thompson on the score cards, wich is far from the truth

thompson was leading the score cards, but up untill the knock out it was a real fight that could have gone into all kinds of directions. kudos for pettis that he finished the fight. the leg kicks might have even helped get some of the elusiveness away from thompson

Actually. Wonderboy usually switches stance a lot but got to point to where he stayed in southpaw to keep his left leg safe.
Anthony was kicking across wonderboy to hit his rear left, so that’s not necessarily true,

No, Pettis was getting pieced up. The leg kicks appeared to have little to no effect on Wonderboy.

Still, it highlights that need to put your opponent away as soon as possible. If you let them hang around, any errant punch can end the fight. Striking is like that. It's why grappling is more reliable, and less prone to chance. Any idiot can throw a punch, and end your night no matter how good you are at striking.

It also highlights the importance of boxing over kickboxing. Wonderboy left his hands down, like Machida, and like Chuck and he paid for it. Karate influenced kickboxing is not good at defense, and it's punches are not powerful. Defense is crucial when striking, and it's why Karate is not a reliable striking style, and few can make it work. It requires exceptional reflexes, but leaves its user wide open for standard boxing counters.
I think karate punches when a fighter commits are the most powerful 1strike punch.

That's generally what happens when one guy's plan is to wear the other guy down to get a finish. Typically strikes that don't affect the other fighter right away don't get mentioned as much as strikes that do. Wonderboy caused Pettis to bleed with strikes and you could see the damage right away. The low kicks and body shots didn't cause damage like that right away but they allowed Pettis to slow Wonderboy down which resulted in Pettis KOing Wonderboy.

I didn't think the fight was terribly close to that point. Pettis scored a handful of good shots, but was eating a lot. Great catch by Pettis, whether he lucked into it or set it up.

I mean usually when your opponent is backed up to the cage because you cut off the octagon and backed him up, that's a purposefully done maneuver. I can think of Woodley being one of a few fighters who really seemed comfortable fighting with his back on the cage.

Fighting with his hands down is his style, it's the karate style in general, he relies on reflexes and distance to move his head away from strikes and counter with punches that are difficult to see because they're coming from around his waistline.

I watched the fight just the one time, I wouldn't call that punch a lucky strike but to think that Pettis was winning isn't what I remember. I was thinking Wonderboy was going to put him away sooner than later. But yeah UFC and all fighting usually is bias to one fighter, and typically it's the fighter clearly winning the fight.
Never said Pettis was winning. Even stated that both rounds were 10-9 Wonderboy

Back