Biased coverage of the Pettis fight.

Pettis is the legitimate greatest fighter to ever walk the face of the planet. He won a fight yesterday

goes to show how much the average fan Is influenced by the commentary and doesn't really think for themselves aswell

No, Pettis was getting pieced up. The leg kicks appeared to have little to no effect on Wonderboy.

Still, it highlights that need to put your opponent away as soon as possible. If you let them hang around, any errant punch can end the fight. Striking is like that. It's why grappling is more reliable, and less prone to chance. Any idiot can throw a punch, and end your night no matter how good you are at striking.

It also highlights the importance of boxing over kickboxing. Wonderboy left his hands down, like Machida, and like Chuck and he paid for it. Karate influenced kickboxing is not good at defense, and it's punches are not powerful. Defense is crucial when striking, and it's why Karate is not a reliable striking style, and few can make it work. It requires exceptional reflexes, but leaves its user wide open for standard boxing counters.
Amazing when combined with proper boxing training from the start though.

Karate as a base style teaches you a lot of bad offensive / defensive habits with the hands..which is a difficult thing to erase when It's so deeply Ingrained into your brain / patterns. I'm sure WB has trained with some proper boxing coaches after his transition to MMA, but at that point..there are certain tendencies which may be nearly impossible to change.

No, Pettis was getting pieced up. The leg kicks appeared to have little to no effect on Wonderboy.

Still, it highlights that need to put your opponent away as soon as possible. If you let them hang around, any errant punch can end the fight. Striking is like that. It's why grappling is more reliable, and less prone to chance. Any idiot can throw a punch, and end your night no matter how good you are at striking.

It also highlights the importance of boxing over kickboxing. Wonderboy left his hands down, like Machida, and like Chuck and he paid for it. Karate influenced kickboxing is not good at defense, and it's punches are not powerful. Defense is crucial when striking, and it's why Karate is not a reliable striking style, and few can make it work. It requires exceptional reflexes, but leaves its user wide open for standard boxing counters.
Those kicks hurt though. Silly to think they had no effect on him.

His kicks were far more damaging than Thompsons, by far.

I don't think it was biased coverage necessarily - it was more just that you tend to miss things when you also have to talk and entertain.

You are correct though - Pettis laid the leg trap tremendously. Re-watched the fight this morning with hindsight in full force; actually extremely impressed. Pettis took a lot of shots to the face but he never wavered, he had a clear focus and it paid off. Lucky shot my arse.

Pettis should just stay at WW. I wana see if he can beat the others at top 5

goes to show how much the average fan Is influenced by the commentary and doesn't really think for themselves aswell
It gets so bad that you know exactly what will be said on this forum before you even get to it. People will borrow lines straight from Rogan in their analysis that it could be copyrighted lol.

I think it's hard to sell leg kicks, and body shot, but on other hand it's mma, not boxing, and tbh leg kick, body kicks are way more damaging than some jab or even some pillow fisted striking.
Wonderboy basicly won 2 rounds, but he lost fight and Pettis came with some gameplan for this fight.
People overreacting to headshots and some bleeding (nose was damaged from one jab of Wonderboy, one jab should win fight). I'm pretty sure UFC would be happy with Wonderboy as winner, because he is hard matchups for wrestlers like Colby or Usman...

Lol wut. WB was piecing him up. I watched it at a bar so I couldn't hear the commentary, but it looked comically one sided until it wasn't. WB was landing punches with ease, before that knockout punch landed I don't remember pettis landing a clean shot on him.

I counted Pettis out in this one. Arguably the biggest win of his career depending on how you look at it. Sure, the titles mean more legacy wise but this one was special. Especially considering he called his shot in asking specifically for Wonderboy.

To me it looked like Pettis was blocking most of the head shots WB was throwing in the first.
I think r1 is debatable.

Lol wow some redness on the body and leg vs a jabbed up face bleeding. Wonderboy lost because he chased Pettis to the cage and not once tried to protect his face the whole fight. His gameplan seems to be no plan.

Also I would give most the credit to ATT they dismantled Wonderboy
<{cruzshake}>

Last edited:
I honestly don't think Pettis did a lot of damage with his kicks. He landed a lot but nothing seemed to have effect on Wonder36yearsoldboy.

Pettis was taking a lot of damage but mentally I thought he was right in the fight. WB was really struggling to get any effective kicks going and I think he was running out of ideas.

The end didn't come out of "nowhere". I felt from mid way through the 1st that as long as Pettis's weak injury prone body held up that he was going to win by KO.

BTW the same thing last week with Mas and Till.

No, we are just hyping Pettis's whole fight now that he won. There is a vast grey zone between calling that a simple fluke and thinking everything went according to Pettis's plan.

Leg kicks are ghey and most MMA judges dont care. (See Cejudo vs. DJ 2.) Doesnt matter. WAR SHOWTIME

I do think the commentators weren't giving enough props to Pettis for those leg kicks. I mean, they did get him some props but not enough. I remember after one leg kick, kinda seeing Wonderboy hobble or limp from it, and they were definitely taking its toll on him. If it would have went a full 5 rounds and Pettis kept up the leg kicks, by about the 4th round Wonderboy would have a serious limp.

I do think it was close but Wonderboy was really piecing up Pettis outside of those leg kicks and the fatality blow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back