Better Run in a Year - Jones (2011) vs Rua (2005) (Per Request)

Jones by a mile...

Although I was not around in the MMA world in 2005.. I've certainly watched all the fights but cannot attest to how it was as it happened, I'm sure it would of been a lot different.

Wish that I was an MMA fan during the peak of the PRIDE era. I can watch all the fights now, yeah, but it's not the same.

Same here, i can only watch in retrospect.

I started watching MMA during TUF 1, and strictly watched UFC from that point on, casually mind you until about 07.

Same here, i can only watch in retrospect.

I started watching MMA during TUF 1, and strictly watched UFC from that point on, casually mind you until about 07.

It really does change the perspective when you see it live.... or in our case in the states, 18hours after it happened live. I remember the days of avoiding Sherdog and other news sites like the plague so I didn't know what happened until I saw it on PPV.

Rua by a mile. Like others have probably said, he beat the better competition in a shorter amount of time, when his opponents were arguably at their best.

Machida would have beaten everyone on Shogun's 05 resume

Machida would have beaten everyone on Shogun's 05 resume

Well, Shogun DID beat 2/4 of Jones' opponents.
edit: And past-his-prime Rampage already has a W over Machida.

Last edited:
Well, Shogun DID beat 2/4 of Jones' opponents.
edit: And past-his-prime Rampage already has a W over Machida.

And what a W it was. I'd take "past-his-prime" rampage over the rampage with a broken foot that Shogun fought any day though

Vote in poll, who had the better run in a year?

Jones - Bader, Shogun, Rampage, Machida

Rua - Kanehara, Rampage, Lil Nog, Overeem, Arona (last two in the same night)

Ramapge 2005>Rampage 2011
Machida>Arona
Nog>Shogun
Overeem>Bader

Nog in 2005 was an elite fighter Shogun post 3rd ACL tear has been a shadow of himself, Nog had a close fight with prime Rua and beat Hendo while Shogun post ACL tear didnt have any great results.
Overeem at the time was considered to be a top 10 fighter and he just beat Vitor and Igor while Bader didnt beat anyone of note. They were the same age and had the same MMA experience

Shogun also beat Arona and Overeem in the same night

Jones had a great year, but only two of those names were great; Shogun and Machida. Rampage in 2011 was kind of blah.

Back