Better Run in a Year - Jones (2011) vs Rua (2005) (Per Request)

MMA

Silver Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Vote in poll, who had the better run in a year?

Jones - Bader, Shogun, Rampage, Machida

Rua - Kanehara, Rampage, Lil Nog, Overeem, Arona (last two in the same night)

I can see a million arguments for either so let's just split it down the middle.

Eras are too hard to compare.

I can see people are now forgetting the older era. Sad to see.

technically shogun's run was 6 months.

Rua or even.

But its apples and oranges.

Difficult to compare them, can't say I would vote even if I could.

Shogun he didn't have huge advantages against his opponents nor were any of them at the end of their careers

Rua was fighting fresh young meat and Overeem / Arona in the same night is boss, not that Jones couldn't to but he hasn't so... and Jones run he fought established guys who are easier to study and been through the wars so, Shugun by a mile.

I've been watching the 05 PRIDE matches and man, Shogun was a beast. I think it's even in my books.

Shogun did it with class. Not all the bullshit that comes with a jj fight.

It's fucking silly how time seems to diminish a fighters past on these forums.

Sakuraba. Pride GP
90 minute fight.
Then a 10 minute round against one of the best and most feared as well as favored to win heavyweights at the time and did well.

Saku. Pride GP 2000

I rank them about equal.

At the time Shogun's wins seemed more surprising. He also beat some guys that hung around at the top of the division for a very long time.

From the first day I saw Jon Jones fight he seemed like the next logical "big thing" at LHW. Absolutely ragdolled every opponent he fought at some point leading up to his title shot, immense confidence, well utilized size and reach advantage. While his dominance over experienced fighters was surprising it almost seemed like a matter of time before Jones took the throne.

Pretty close. I give Shogun the slight edge because Bader is a bit meh and Shogun did 2 in one night.

First of all, Shogun's accomplishment took place over 4 months; 2 fights on a single night.
Jones took just about a full year to accomplish his feat.
Point Rua

Next, Bader isn't as good as any of the opponents that Shogun fought.
Point Rua

The Rampage that Shogun beat > the Rampage Jones beat. And Shogun destroyed him, he didn't wait for Quinton to give up and present his neck as an offering.
Point Rua

Arona was ranked 2-4 worldwide when Rua finished him in Rd 1.
Overeem was ranked ~8th worldwide when Rua finished him in Rd 1.
Lyoto was ranked 5th when Jones beat him in Rd 2.
Point Rua

Beating 2011 Shogun, a year after suffering his 3rd career ending injury, is not the same as beating 2005 Pride Grand Pix Champion Shogun Rua.

Shogun had the better year, and its not even close.

All the old fucks who think that anyone who didn't watch MMA when it sucked is a noob will say Rua 2005, but Jones 2011 is the obvious answer.

Rua was fighting fresh young meat and Overeem / Arona in the same night is boss, not that Jones couldn't to but he hasn't so... and Jones run he fought established guys who are easier to study and been through the wars so, Shugun by a mile.

This is true but I juxtapose this with the fact that Shogun's fights overall were more competitive during his run.

If Jones indeed beat people "over the hill" he made sure to let it show in his fights. There was not a point at which Jones looked remotely challenged by anyone he fought (though some will cry Machida round 1).

Back